hi!

  • jacobadiewaeyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2007
      I'm a total newbie, and I'm trying to get ready for my first war
      that's coming up this weekend. I was wondering, does anyone know where
      I can get a simple plan for a skirt? Something simple and easy would
      be nice.. thanks
      Jacoba the Unpredictable
    • N.E. Star
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
        What I did for my first skirt was measure around my waist, since it's smaller then 45 inches (the smaller industry standard for cloth, the other is 60 inches) I knew I would use the whole width of the fabric. Then I measured from my waist to the floor, and that was the length.

        So I go to the fabric store, find the cloth I want, and have them cut it the length. I also get two yards of light rope/braid. (I had thread at home)

        When I get home I wash, dry, and iron the fabric. Then I fold it "Out" sides together and sew a straight seam along the length. Then I fold a half inch hem on one end, leaving a small opening to run the braid through. This is now the top of the skirt. Then I put it on to find out how much of the bottom I needed to turn up so I didn't walk on it, then I hem that up and the skirt is done.

        If your waist is bigger or if you want more fullness: double the length and after you wash it cut it in half and sew two side seams instead of one.

        I hope this helps,
        Naomi

        jacobadiewaeyer <jacobadiewaeyer@...> wrote: I'm a total newbie, and I'm trying to get ready for my first war
        that's coming up this weekend. I was wondering, does anyone know where
        I can get a simple plan for a skirt? Something simple and easy would
        be nice.. thanks
        Jacoba the Unpredictable

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
          Jacoba the Unpredictable wrote:
          > . . .I'm trying to get ready for my first war that's coming up this
          > weekend. I was wondering, does anyone know where I can get a simple
          > plan for a skirt?

          If you just want a simple skirt, look to one of these sites:

          Kashmir's "Making a Circle Skirt"
          <http://www.raqs.co.nz/howto/skirt.html>
          Shira's "Making a Circle Skirt" <http://www.shira.net/make-cskirt.htm>

          "How to Make a Tiered Skirt", from the Costume Goddess
          <http://www.costumegoddess.com/tierskirt.htm>
          "Peasant Skirt Instructions", from j caroline creative
          <http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
          Store_Code=JC&Screen=PSKIRT>

          "Making a Hybrid Tiered Skirt", from the Costume Goddess
          <http://www.costumegoddess.com/hybrid.htm>

          "Pattern for Half-Circle Skirts", from Jan Bruyndonckx
          <http://users.telenet.be/jbruyndonckx/pattern1.html>

          If you want something simple-to-make that was actually worn in the
          Middle Ages or Renaissance, however, you don't want a skirt. I
          recommend you try a simple tunic, made using period construction
          techniques like those outlined in Jane Stockton's "Getting Started with
          Tunics"
          <http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/
          jane_stockton_getting_started_with_tunics_A4.pdf>. They were worn from
          the beginning of the core SCA millennium almost to the end, all over
          Europe (with some variations in details like the shapes of sleeves and
          necklines and the placement and type of trim), by people of all ages
          and both sexes. They're economical of fabric and easy to make, and can
          be dressed up or down easily. And they're just about as simple-to-make
          as anything could be.

          Add a coif <http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html>, hood
          <http://www.virtue.to/articles/hoodlum.html>, or veil
          <http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html>, a plain leather belt with a
          simple buckle, a pouch or satchel (or both) to keep your "stuff" in
          <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
          action=displaycat&catid=288>, and some unobtrusive shoes (or period
          ones <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM>),
          and you'll have a complete, plausible, inexpensive outfit that you will
          still be happy to wear in 5 years' time, even if you've developed an
          interest in authenticity by then. (If you decide on a Renaissance
          persona, you'll still want some simple running-to-the-privy or
          setting-up-the-tent clothes that don't break the event mood.)

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Deborah
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
            Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?

            Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.

            I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)

            i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D

            i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.
          • Dunecan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
              Where are you from? I'm sure there are tons of sites you can use to gather some info but nothing beats hanging out with people and hearing stories

              Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

              Deborah <debbybutler@...> wrote:

              >Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?
              >
              >Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.
              >
              >I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)
              >
              >i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D
              >
              >i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.

            • D'vorah bint Da'ud
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
                On 12 Feb 2013, at 9:48 AM, Deborah wrote:

                > Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?
                >
                > Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.
                >
                > I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)
                >
                > i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D
                >
                > i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.

                First of all, WELCOME! You're definitely in the right place for making connections and asking questions. We hope you'll have fun playing in the SCA with us. Since you have a tent and sleeping bag, you're ahead of where I was when I joined in 2010, so well done. ;) It's great that you're so enthusiastic and interested in so many things. That's the best feeling -- knowing that whatever you're into, there are other SCAdians (SCA people) who are also into it, who may be able to help you get started or continue learning what you've already begun to do.

                Where are you living (country, province/state, town or region)? We're all over the world! Let us help you find your local group, so you can get to know people in your area. Most of our events (garbed gatherings, usually on weekends) are family friendly, though some activities (usually un-garbed, usually weekdays, often in people's homes) are and some aren't; just find something on your group's monthly calendar and ask your local group about it.

                The best people to ask about your proposed persona name are heralds. There are heralds' mailing lists (SCA-wide, as well as kingdom and local lists), Facebook groups, and of course you can always ask your local chatelaine to direct you to the next monthly heralds' meeting. They'll be able to help you settle on a name and, if you wish, a device to represent yourself. Depending on how much you enjoy watching/listening to their process as they help you out, you might find yourself with another new interest as well.

                The thing to know above all other things is: Any question you care to ask here (or anywhere in the SCA, really) is absolutely okay. There aren't any stupid questions. There are only questions for which you don't know the answers, and that's to be expected of anything at which you're new. Everyone here either has similar questions, or once had them. Go ahead and speak up. :)
                D'vorah bint Da'ud
                Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
                Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
                dvorah@...
                http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
                Twitter: @DvorahSCA
                Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

                If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
                  Deborah asked:
                  <<< Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?

                  Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.

                  You might want to take a look at the NEWCOMERS section in the Florilegium. The address is given in my signature block below.

                  <<< I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook) >>>

                  There are a number of sections in the Florilegium having to do with cooking such as:
                  Feast-Reviews Feasts Food
                  Food-Books Food-Breads-Grains Food-By-Region
                  Food-Condiments Food-Dairy Food-Fruits
                  Food-Manuscripts Food-Meats Food-Sweets
                  Food-Utensils Food-Vegetables

                  I also have a section dedicated specifically to BEVERAGES.

                  There is also a CLOTHING section.

                  If you have a particular type of food or a culture that you are interested in, send me an email or post here and I'd be happy to suggest various files that might interest you.

                  <<< i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D >>>

                  Perhaps some of the games and files in the CHILDREN section might be of interest. There are also at least a pair of articles there on making clothing for children.

                  <<< i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name. >>>

                  I'm not a name herald, so I'd hate to hazard a guess.

                  But perhaps these files, from your earlier comments, might be of interest?
                  cl-Scot-fem-art (14K) 7/ 2/96 Scottish women's clothing.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scot-fem-art.html

                  cl-Scot-male-art (18K) 6/20/96 Scottish men's clothing.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scot-male-art.html

                  cl-Scotland-msg (120K) 6/17/12 Clothing of Scotland. folding of kilts.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scotland-msg.html

                  Kilts-1590-art (20K) 2/13/11 "More than you ever wanted to know about the
                  kilt" by Lord Gregor Mac Beathain.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Kilts-1590-art.html

                  Scotland-lnks (20K) 10/12/03 Web links to medieval Scotland
                  by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Scotland-lnks.html

                  Scotland-msg (72K) 2/25/12 Scottish culture. Who lived where. Medieval
                  points of interest. The Orkney Islands.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Scotland-msg.html

                  fd-Scotland-msg (66K) 8/21/10 Medieval food of Scotland. Recipes.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scotland-msg.html

                  fd-Scot-11thC-art (45K) 10/16/10 "Food of 11th Century Scotland" by
                  THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scot-11tC-art.html

                  Stefan
                  --------