Re: [SCA Newcomers] Surname research and other notes.

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2007
      On Saturday 10 February 2007 23:45, Olde Scouter wrote:
      > Newcomer :"Olde Scouter".
      >
      >     I am attempting to contact some SCA personnel a third time, to
      > ask some questions. No, I have not the gift of sending notes in
      > the 'gentle' language. I am still in the BSA Scouting movement, and
      > have two yahoo group websites related to Metalworking, blacksmithing
      > and camping. Both have "Green Dragon" in their titles [see below];
      > and the Cave site has a collection of data of "All things Dragon".
      >     I wish to pursue in posting the Midrealm's crest in this data,
      > and so figured I needed to contact a person of status, who could
      > either grant the permission of such an endeavor, or let me know why
      > not.

      If you've had trouble getting a response on this, it's probably because
      this is an area of [ahem...] evolving policy within the SCA itself. In
      other words, there isn't really a clear chain of command yet because use
      of web images wasn't an issue until recently. This particular issue can
      fall within the offices of Chronicler, Webmaster, Seneschal, or Exchequer,
      depending on how you look at it, and the SCA as a whole is still working
      out exactly how to put this into policy. "Any sufficiently advanced
      bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses." :-)

      You probably emailed webmaster (at) midrealm (dot) org, but that person
      most likely couldn't help you because their job is maintaining the web
      site rather than managing copyright.

      I can't give you a definite answer myself, other than to note that the
      kingdom arms *are* considered a trademark and are copyrighted by the SCA
      Inc. But that doesn't mean you can't obtain permission to use them...it
      just means we need to find you the right person to ask. I believe the
      particular case of the Midrealm has art work donated by a member of the
      populace, so it may just be a matter of asking her permission directly.
      But...I can't speak to that issue officially.

      I would suggest contacting the Middle Kingdom Chronicler, Mistress
      Heirusalem Crystoma. You can reach her at chronicler (at) midrealm
      (dot) org, and it is her office that is primarily responsible for copyright
      issues. If you actually need to reach someone else, Heirusalem can
      most likely direct you to the right person.

      I hope this helps.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.