Surname research and other notes.

  • Olde Scouter
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2007
      Newcomer :"Olde Scouter".

      I am attempting to contact some SCA personnel a third time, to
      ask some questions. No, I have not the gift of sending notes in
      the 'gentle' language. I am still in the BSA Scouting movement, and
      have two yahoo group websites related to Metalworking, blacksmithing
      and camping. Both have "Green Dragon" in their titles [see below];
      and the Cave site has a collection of data of "All things Dragon".
      I wish to pursue in posting the Midrealm's crest in this data,
      and so figured I needed to contact a person of status, who could
      either grant the permission of such an endeavor, or let me know why
      not.

      Surname research:
      You ask to use a person who was from this age, so this is
      what I'm attempting to do. I have family genealogy links to both
      Slovakia; villiage of Makov; [1814], and Hesse,Germay [1820]. I am
      emmersed in ongoing research through family links, of checking in on
      just how far the Slovak (& German) lineage goes back. I hope to use
      an actual Family name in this Surname to represent me, as a Tinker,
      Blacksmith, or a similar guild. I will join as a newcomer, for the
      purpose of the crest usage, if needed. [This joining will be on the
      web only]
      At present, I have perceived that I am from: The Middle
      Kingdom, Pentamere Region, Barony of the Roaring Wastes, and live in
      the Canton of Facshes Mor. I realize this is 500 years beyond your
      timeline.

      I plan to stay the course I have chosen for the present [in
      Scouts]; to try to teach the next generation some lost technology
      {Metalwork & Carpentry} and survival skills. The M.A.B.A. has a
      blacksmith gathering at Hartwick Pines State Park {logging museum,
      sawmill exhibit} in late August every year, so that is where I [and
      my apprentices] will go, to do metalwork demos, cook, and camp out.
      I have built both a forge in the garage, and another into a utility
      trailer, that goes with me whenever I go camping. They both run with
      the Locomotive coal from Owosso, and use cast iron frying pans as
      firepots. The rest of my tent camping equipment, includes a lashed &
      tarped 'structure', with 2 wooden dragon heads on the main
      crossbeam.

      [As far as I know, there are no Vikings in my family; so the
      tent "decorations" are for a humorous touch.]

      Websites:
      The_Green_Dragon_Forge@yahoogroups.com
      The_Green_Dragon_Cave@yahoogroups.com

      Please send replies to:
      Borgsmith2004@...
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2007
        On Saturday 10 February 2007 23:45, Olde Scouter wrote:
        > Newcomer :"Olde Scouter".
        >
        >     I am attempting to contact some SCA personnel a third time, to
        > ask some questions. No, I have not the gift of sending notes in
        > the 'gentle' language. I am still in the BSA Scouting movement, and
        > have two yahoo group websites related to Metalworking, blacksmithing
        > and camping. Both have "Green Dragon" in their titles [see below];
        > and the Cave site has a collection of data of "All things Dragon".
        >     I wish to pursue in posting the Midrealm's crest in this data,
        > and so figured I needed to contact a person of status, who could
        > either grant the permission of such an endeavor, or let me know why
        > not.

        If you've had trouble getting a response on this, it's probably because
        this is an area of [ahem...] evolving policy within the SCA itself. In
        other words, there isn't really a clear chain of command yet because use
        of web images wasn't an issue until recently. This particular issue can
        fall within the offices of Chronicler, Webmaster, Seneschal, or Exchequer,
        depending on how you look at it, and the SCA as a whole is still working
        out exactly how to put this into policy. "Any sufficiently advanced
        bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses." :-)

        You probably emailed webmaster (at) midrealm (dot) org, but that person
        most likely couldn't help you because their job is maintaining the web
        site rather than managing copyright.

        I can't give you a definite answer myself, other than to note that the
        kingdom arms *are* considered a trademark and are copyrighted by the SCA
        Inc. But that doesn't mean you can't obtain permission to use them...it
        just means we need to find you the right person to ask. I believe the
        particular case of the Midrealm has art work donated by a member of the
        populace, so it may just be a matter of asking her permission directly.
        But...I can't speak to that issue officially.

        I would suggest contacting the Middle Kingdom Chronicler, Mistress
        Heirusalem Crystoma. You can reach her at chronicler (at) midrealm
        (dot) org, and it is her office that is primarily responsible for copyright
        issues. If you actually need to reach someone else, Heirusalem can
        most likely direct you to the right person.

        I hope this helps.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.