Researching a name

  • Marcy
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 10, 2007
      I'm getting ready to submit my registration into the SCA and I was
      wondering if anyone here could possibly help me with a name.

      My name is Marcy, and I know that my name has French origins. My name
      is derived from "Marcella", but I'm having trouble finding any dates
      on its origin or use in society. I'd really like to use this as part
      of my registered name, but I feel as if I'm at a dead end on my hunt.

      Any help, or direction to sites, would be greatly appreciated.
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 10, 2007
        Marcy wrote:

        > I'm getting ready to submit my registration into the SCA and I was
        > wondering if anyone here could possibly help me with a name.

        Right up front, I'd like to recommend you start by reading "Choosing a
        Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>, then visit the
        Medieval Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/> and check out the
        Naming Guide for your chosen culture.

        > My name is Marcy, and I know that my name has French origins. My name
        > is derived from "Marcella", but I'm having trouble finding any dates
        > on its origin or use in society. I'd really like to use this as part
        > of my registered name. . .

        The name "Marcella" appears in a few different cultural contexts,
        according to the resources compiled in the Medieval Names Archive and
        the reports of the Academy of St. Gabriel.

        It was known in Ireland and Scotland in the 15th century
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2274>.
        ("Marcella" was the Latin version; the Irish Gaelic is "Mairsil"
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/
        Mairsil.shtml>, the Scottish perhaps "Marsaili"
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1508>.)

        It was known in Venice in the 14th century, at least as a metronymic
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/venice14/venice14sur.html>.
        ("Metronymic" means it was the last name of the person mentioned, and
        was or was derived from that person's mother's name.)

        The masculine "Marcel" was known in Paris in the late 13th century
        <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html#M>. If "Marcella"
        is how they would've feminized it, that might work as documentation for
        a French first name. Or you could use the correct form of "Marcel's
        daughter" as your last name.

        The masculine "Marcello" was known in Florence between the 13th and
        16th centuries
        <http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/doc/name1.html>. If
        "Marcella" is how they would've feminized it, that might work as
        documentation of a central Italian first name. Or you could use the
        correct form of "Marcello's daughter" as your last name.

        "Marcelis" was known in Bruges in the 15th century
        <http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/bruges/given-list.html>. If I had to
        guess, I'd say it's a man's name, but I don't actually know. If it is,
        you might be able to feminize it. You'd need to find out how that
        would've been done then and there. Or you could use the correct form
        of "Marcelis' daughter" as your last name.

        There might be more; I didn't do an exhaustive search. Do you have
        some idea of where you'd like your name to be from? A more targeted
        search would be easier.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2007
          Quoth "Marcy":
          > My name is Marcy, and I know that my name has French origins. My name
          > is derived from "Marcella", but I'm having trouble finding any dates
          > on its origin or use in society. I'd really like to use this as part
          > of my registered name, but I feel as if I'm at a dead end on my hunt.
          >
          > Any help, or direction to sites, would be greatly appreciated.

          Have you looked through the articles in the Medieval Names Archive yet?

          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
            I have deviated a bit from my previous name I was looking into. I'm
            leaning towards Marta or Ysabelle. Surname-wise, I'm looking at Blanc
            or Bertrand. I'm going to do some more research on this stuff, but
            with this being the week before GW, it's quite hectic, plus I've got
            art projects out the wazoo for school!

            More to come later after I get more time to look into things.
          • Marcy
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
              Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
              haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
                Quoth "Marcy":
                > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
                > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

                And language/culture is French, right?

                -Ary

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Greetings all,
                  I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                  I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
                  Thanks in advance,T.E.
                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Quoth "T.E.Dragon":
                    > Greetings all,
                    > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

                    Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

                    http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/northern_oaken.htm

                    I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford.org/) or perhaps
                    Ath Dreagain/Dragon's ford (http://www.geocities.com/stephielbrown/).

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                      Welcome to North Oaken! Lots of fun and great people around here.
                      ~Isabel
                      Artisan Member of Legion of the Night Mare
                      North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

                      > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

                      Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

                      http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Oaken_Pages/ northern_ oaken.htm

                      I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford. org/) or perhaps
                      Ath Dreagain/Dragon' s ford (http://www.geocitie s.com/stephielbr own/).

                      -Aryanhwy

                      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                    • Marcy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                        Yes, language/culture would be French.

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                        > Quoth "Marcy":
                        > > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
                        > > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.
                        >
                        > And language/culture is French, right?
                        >
                        > -Ary
                        >

                        > --
                        > vita sine literis mors est
                        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                          On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                          > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                          > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....

                          Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in Alderford (which
                          is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.

                          If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there are several
                          of us from that shire on this list. :-)

                          Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                          Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                          Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

                          In any case, welcome to the area!

                          keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        • T.E.Dragon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                            Thanks to all who replied......
                            Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county....near a
                            small place called Fairveiw.....both are on I 70...though I'll be
                            living back in the sticks from either.....I'm an Archer of 3 years
                            both in the societey and out,and I'm a blacksmith of about 25 years...
                            ..T.E
                            <justin@...> wrote:

                            > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                            > > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                            > > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
                            >
                            > Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in
                            Alderford (which
                            > is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.
                            >
                            > If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there
                            are several
                            > of us from that shire on this list. :-)
                            >
                            > Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                            > Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                            > Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/
                            >
                            > In any case, welcome to the area!
                            >
                            > Justin
                            >
                            > --
                            > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                            <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

                            http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                              On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                              > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

                              You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
                              in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                                Quoth "Marcy":
                                > Yes, language/culture would be French.

                                I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

                                For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
                                census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
                                and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
                                1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
                                16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

                                Isabele 1531
                                Izabelle 1529, 1529
                                Y(s)abelle 1548
                                Ysabeau 1537
                                Ysabelle 1509, 1521
                                Yssabelle 1515
                                Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

                                [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

                                [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

                                [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

                                I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
                                sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

                                Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
                                Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
                                as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
                                <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
                                of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
                                bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
                                three would also be fine choices for your byname.

                                And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
                                in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
                                form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
                                borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
                                1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

                                [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

                                So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
                                all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
                                changed some depending on the period.

                                -Aryanhwy

                                --
                                vita sine literis mors est