Re: [SCA Newcomers] PAVILLION/TENT

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007
      In a message dated 2/7/2007 11:07:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      deanies1969@... writes:

      <<Does anyone have a good website to order a period pavillion/tent?
      Inexpensively....>>

      I am not sure that there is such a thing as an inexpensive but good
      pavilion. I assume you are looking for the canvas variety as that is what is usually
      termed a "pavilion" in SCA jargon. But you also asked about tents, which to
      me implies a modern nylon one. So I will give you two answers.

      My hands-down favorite for canvas pavilions is Four Seasons Tentmasters. I
      know many of their pavilions have lasted for a decade or more without needing
      more than minor repairs. The one that I am familiar with that is more than
      20 years old has needed some new ropes and a few stake loops resewn, and has
      one three corner tear that should be mended. They are not cheap. But they
      are durable and well put together and well worth the price. Our 24 X 15
      pavilion is about 5 years old and cost us $1100, but will probably last us at
      least another decade.

      For modern tents, I have always liked the Hilary brand, which is sold by
      Sears. It's possible, especially if you come on a sale, to get what moderns
      consider a huge tent for about $300. But at best it will likely last 6 or 7
      years.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007

        I ordered my wall tent through FC Sutler (they're a Civil War
        Re-Enactor merchant).

        www.fcsutler.com

        If you don't mind having a "Roman-esque" tent and provide your own
        lumber for the canvas, this is a very reasonable alternative.

        Giudo / Jibril