Re: [SCA Newcomers] PAVILLION/TENT

  • David Backlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007
      From: "deanies1969" <deanies1969@...>
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:07 AM
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] PAVILLION/TENT

      > Greetings to All,
      > Does anyone have a good website to order a period pavillion/tent?
      > Inexpensively....
      > thank you

      Don Strinz Tipi

      http://www.strinztipi.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007
        In a message dated 2/7/2007 11:07:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        deanies1969@... writes:

        <<Does anyone have a good website to order a period pavillion/tent?
        Inexpensively....>>

        I am not sure that there is such a thing as an inexpensive but good
        pavilion. I assume you are looking for the canvas variety as that is what is usually
        termed a "pavilion" in SCA jargon. But you also asked about tents, which to
        me implies a modern nylon one. So I will give you two answers.

        My hands-down favorite for canvas pavilions is Four Seasons Tentmasters. I
        know many of their pavilions have lasted for a decade or more without needing
        more than minor repairs. The one that I am familiar with that is more than
        20 years old has needed some new ropes and a few stake loops resewn, and has
        one three corner tear that should be mended. They are not cheap. But they
        are durable and well put together and well worth the price. Our 24 X 15
        pavilion is about 5 years old and cost us $1100, but will probably last us at
        least another decade.

        For modern tents, I have always liked the Hilary brand, which is sold by
        Sears. It's possible, especially if you come on a sale, to get what moderns
        consider a huge tent for about $300. But at best it will likely last 6 or 7
        years.

        Lancaster, PA

      • Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007

          I ordered my wall tent through FC Sutler (they're a Civil War
          Re-Enactor merchant).

          www.fcsutler.com

          If you don't mind having a "Roman-esque" tent and provide your own
          lumber for the canvas, this is a very reasonable alternative.

          Giudo / Jibril