Re: [SCA Newcomers] armor websites

  • Cailin Mac Kinnach
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007

      > What I an trying to say is that if you butter up a local armorer and ask
      > learn as you go, they may give you a discount and you will learn how
      > to fix your own stuff as well. ~Wolfgang von der Eiffel

      Quoted for Truth!

      As I mentioned earlier I made my own shield. Now, I'm making my own gorget,
      out of leather with steel
      plating. Three months ago, I had no idea how to do any of this stuff, but
      with reasonable application of
      time and effort, I've made my own shield, strapped up my leg armor, built my
      own gorget from scratch,
      done field repairs on other people's armor, and am getting ready to learn
      leather tooling. Knowing the
      maintenance stuff is invaluable.

      One thing to consider is a lamalar based armor. Ton of patterns and easy to
      follow directions out there.
      Dunno how cost effective they are though. But nothing is more satisfying
      than wearing something you made onto the field.

      Cailin