Re: [SCA Newcomers] SCA Member becomes headline news

  • David Backlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2007
      From: "Henri de Ceredigion" <welshliberaldemocrat@...>

      > BBC News Online <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6260235.stm>
      > is reporting the case of an SCA member from Rhode Island in the United
      > States who has been told by their school to ditch the medieval look for
      > his school yearbook entry citing a rule banning the showing of weapons.

      This has been circulating for over a month, now. General consensus is the
      school has a double standard. If the photo is that "offensive", why is he
      being told he can buy "advertising space" in the yearbook to post his photo?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2007
        In a message dated 1/14/2007 2:47:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        welshliberaldemocrat@... writes:

        <<is reporting the case of an SCA member from Rhode Island in the United
        States who has been told by their school to ditch the medieval look for
        his school yearbook entry citing a rule banning the showing of weapons.

        Comments, Opinions, Props to said member for being the SCA to
        international media promience?>>

        That actually hit the news in the States several weeks ago. I think it says
        far more about the school than the SCA, as the student's picture is a very
        generic "teenager wearing mail and carrying a two handed sword over his
        shoulder, with another sword at his belt".
        Considering that the school's mascot, a Minuteman, is depicted carrying both
        a rifle and a sword in the same yearbook, and that they are willing to let
        him use exactly the same photo as long as he pays to place it in the
        advertising section rather than having it placed free in the student section, I think
        it is just a case of the school being wierded out and trying to coerce him
        into using a more "normal" picture. Apparently they did the same thing to an
        American Civil War or Revolutionary War re-enactor several years ago; he just
        didn't complain about it.

        Lancaster, PA

      • David Backlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2007
          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16175420/

          Link to original story (with photo)
        • mackayjenn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
            The school seriously needs a reality check. Since when is a photo of
            someone holding a sword (not even in an agressive stance) a violation
            of a weapons policy? Give me a break. Especially since they have a
            mascot with a weapon displayed... come on.

            Sounds like the school just has someone in charge who likes to throw
            his weight around.

            Sounds like hypocrisy...

            Gemma Northwood
            Antir newbie
          • Glenda Aldrup
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
              Well,
              The school backed down and let him put his pic in!!
              Ridiculous..especially if you have seen of the nearly obscene pics athletes have put in!! I have seen one where the young man had nothing on but jeans..ripped in strategic places and covered in oil..in a rather provocative pose!! I was told his mom wanted it like that!! I mean GEEZ!! I would much rather see the sword!!