Garb Sale

  • Crystal
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
      Good day dear gentles of the known worlde! Greetings from Trimaris
      once again. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

      I hope everyone is healthy in their parts of the world & enjoyed the
      holidays & stayed safe! This is just a little blurb to inform anyone
      who may be looking for garb that I'm still here. Currently all funds
      from any purchases will be funding my Gulf War.

      I perodically make appearences on this list to inform the new ones
      who may not be able to sew...or perhaps do not have the time to sew
      not to fret!!! Please allow me to offer my services once again to any
      of the new comers on this list. Dressing that part always
      makes you feel *warm & fuzzy* inside!!! I am totally in the SCA for
      the clothes! I don't bite and so feel free to drop me an email with
      garb questions or concerns. All prices are reasonable and I have
      sold and worked w/ people off this site before.All will be brand new
      and made to your colors and direction. If you have an idea let me
      know perhaps we can work something out - I'm willing to trade in leiu
      of $$$ or a discount. I am also offering 10% off for purchases over
      $50.

      Pictures are available upon request as for styles.

      I also make children's garb to match parents garb (been getting a lot
      of request for that lately - it looks adorable!!!) With Gulf War
      closer than most people think Bloomers are the way to go! Bloomers w/
      elastic waist in several colors most are in a cotton blend (a life
      saver in the warmer states or summer months!)I have made some a bit
      heavier for those chilly days (gotta keep warm)

      ALSO - looking for a lady who emailed me named Rebekah? I lost your
      email address if you could please contact me ASAP off list. Thanks!!
      = )

      YIS,
      Christiana mka Crystal
    • Shelley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Crystal,
        I am interested in more info on your garb sale. Please e-mail me with info.
        Thanks,
        Shelley

        Crystal <impressionist101@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Kathrine HomHaun
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
          Hi Crystal
          It's good to hear from someone that makes garb in my own kingdom. I Have a need for idea styles for Celtic Irish garb from the mid 13th century. I also would like suggestions for material that doesn't cost a fortune. I have three children and they grow so fast! I have a good eye for anything artistic and if you could email me some pictures of celtic style garb I would appreciate it. How much do your cloaks run? Could you make a red dress like the one that Isolde wore in Tristian and Isodle? That one is not ment to wear as garb, it's for an anniversary party I am hosting in a few months.
          Thanks
          Maeve de Chesne
          Wyvernwoode of Trimaris
          Shelley <ladyquest@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
            Maeve de Chesne wrote:
            > I Have a need for idea styles for Celtic Irish garb from the mid 13th
            > century.. . .

            The term you're looking for is "Irish Gaelic". ("Celtic" is a
            scholarly term referring to a number of archaeological sites with
            similar material culture, all of which significantly predate the 13th
            century.)

            Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of sources for Ireland for this
            period. The best online article on Irish clothing in general of which
            I'm aware is Finnacan Dub's "Early Gaelic Dress: An Introduction"
            <http://b-b-fam.home.texas.net/Coblaith/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html>.
            Its focus is on the Viking Age, but much of the text will apply to
            your period, as well, as will the resources (especially the two books
            to which he refers most). I'd recommend you start there.

            Reconstructing History's "Your First
            Garb"<https://www.reconstructinghistory.com:4438/index.php?
            s=&c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=126&w=2> offers a pattern for a basic,
            authentically-constructed, medieval tunic. It's what I use for my
            léinte, and similar garments are shown in illustrations from elsewhere
            in Europe during the 13th century (like the Maciejowski Bible
            <http://www.keesn.nl/mac/mac_en.htm>). It's a plausible choice for
            your period (i.e., culture, location, and era). It's also easy to
            make, economical of fabric, and easy to "dress up" with embellishments
            like embroidery and trim.

            > I also would like suggestions for material that doesn't cost a
            > fortune. I have three children and they grow so fast!

            Ah, but they start so small! I use my son as a "fashion doll" to try
            out patterns before I cut fabric to make garments for his (much, much,
            much larger) father--and, to a high degree, for me, since the basic
            tunic applies to both of us. (Mine's just longer.) It gives me the
            chance to see how the fabric I've chosen will drape, how bulky the
            seams will be, etc. in time to make adjustments to my plan before I
            start the bigger (but otherwise identical) projects. He only recently
            got big enough that I need more than one yard of fabric to make him a
            tunic. (He's a middling-to-large 9-year-old. Huzzah for parsimonious
            period construction techniques!) If my image of how something will
            work is way off and I mis-cut on that scale, I've wasted a LOT less
            money than if I mis-cut on a "grown-up" scale.

            Tunics like the one at Reconstructing History also lend themselves very
            well to height and weight adjustments for kids. The basic approach is
            this: Make the child's tunic long and loose, with slightly long
            sleeves, and belt it up. (You'll have seen, at the Maciejowski link
            above, that that was a popular way for members of both sexes to wear
            them.) The tunic will gradually become shorter and more gradually
            become tighter (most kids gaining height more quickly than they gain
            girth). There'll be less and less to belt up out of the way, and less
            blousing, from one event to the next. After a year to a year and a
            half, it'll be fitted enough and short enough to signal a need for
            replacement. My son's shooting up like a magic beanstalk, and it's
            just now time to replace the tunic I made him before our big October
            event in 2005.

            As to the question of expense: The first tunic I made for my boy was
            done in wool--the most authentic choice for outerwear for your period
            as well as ours. It only cost a couple of dollars, because the fabric
            was a remnant I bought on e-Bay. (Another advantage to the small scale
            of children's clothing.) The others have been linen, as a concession
            to the heat. (I haven't been able to find tropical-weight wool at a
            price I'm willing to pay, yet, and anything heavier is just too heavy
            for the Southern Region of Ansteorra, unless it's mid-winter and we're
            having an unusual cold snap.) I don't think I've ever used more than
            five dollars' worth of material on any of them. (Paying about $6.00/yd
            for linen at <http://www.fabrics-store.com/>.) He's only worn each a
            few times, since we've only attended our barony's local events so far,
            but even so, his SCA clothes, made in plausible period fabrics, are the
            probably the least expensive he owns. Even when he's worn pants (which
            is, from an authenticity standpoint, completely optional for our
            period) or hose (which I made him once when we needed to dress to suit
            the theme of an event set some centuries after our period and in
            another country), the total's never come close to $10 an outfit. (If
            you have boys and want pants, the Regia Anglorum site
            <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5d.htm> has instructions you can
            use to make reasonable ones. If you'd prefer to go with hose like the
            ones in the Maciejowski Bible there's an article at
            <http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/medieval/chausse1.html> that may
            help.) Wool tunics would run a little more, but with careful shopping,
            not too much. And if you use the same fabric for your kids that you
            use for yourself, depending on the width you have and the width you
            need for your pieces, you might not have to spend anything at all on
            the kids' tunics. My son's second tunic was made from the "leftovers"
            of the fabric I used to make one for his father.

            Good luck finding what you need, and kudos on wanting to do it well
            right from the start, especially for your kids. (So many people don't
            bother.)

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
              Quoth Coblaith Mhuimhneach:
              > The term you're looking for is "Irish Gaelic". ("Celtic" is a=20=20
              > scholarly term referring to a number of archaeological sites with=20=20
              > similar material culture, all of which significantly predate the 13th=20=20
              > century.)

              "Celtic" is also the name of the language family of which Irish Gaelic,
              Scottish Gaelic, Breton, Cornish, Manx, and Welsh, are members of. (In
              this usage, it's akin to the term "Romance" and "Germanic", which are also
              not names of languages, but names of groups of languages.)

              I don't know how similar Irish clothing is to Scottish clothing, but
              the website "Scottish Clothing Resources"
              (http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/) may have some useful
              information.

              Ditto for comparing Welsh to Irish clothing, but if they're similar,
              then the articles at "Clothing and Textiles"
              http://www.heatherrosejones.com/costumemenu.html may be of use.

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                <Coblaith@...> wrote:

                > The term you're looking for is "Irish Gaelic". ("Celtic" is a
                > scholarly term referring to a number of archaeological sites with
                > similar material culture, all of which significantly predate the
                13th
                > century.)

                Not to put too fine a point on it or be offensive, but coming from a
                Welsh family who cares very much about this term and its use, the
                term "Celtic" is still very active--continues through to modern
                times. It not only represents the languages currently spoken in
                Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and the Manx language, but the unique
                cultural heritage all these groups share. In recent years, it's
                become quite a point of pride with many Kells.
                :-) Cym
              • Kristine Elliott
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
                  On 1/5/07, Cym <cym.lloyd@...> wrote:

                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  > <Coblaith@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The term you're looking for is "Irish Gaelic". ("Celtic" is a
                  > > scholarly term referring to a number of archaeological sites with
                  > > similar material culture, all of which significantly predate the
                  > 13th
                  > > century.)
                  > >
                  > Not to put too fine a point on it or be offensive, but coming from a
                  > Welsh family who cares very much about this term and its use, the
                  > term "Celtic" is still very active--continues through to modern
                  > times. It not only represents the languages currently spoken in
                  > Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and the Manx language, but the unique
                  > cultural heritage all these groups share. In recent years, it's
                  > become quite a point of pride with many Kells.
                  > :-) Cym

                  You'll find the way the terms are used rather different in the SCA. I
                  am not saying that our way is more right than yours, OR vice versa,
                  but using different terms in the different contexts will probably make
                  things easier for you.

                  Scolastica
                  --
                  http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                  If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
                  'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
                • Kathrine HomHaun
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2007
                    When I used the word"Celtic" it was not to be offenssive, but if you search the internet for garb it is the only way that I recieved any results. Being part Irish myself and totally proud of that heritage I would rather find things listed under Irish Gaelic. my apologies for any offense made.
                    yours in service
                    Maeve de Chesne

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2007
                      Thank you for the information it will help alot.

                      yours in service
                      Maeve de Chesne

                      Maeve de Chesne wrote:
> [...]

                      you have boys and want pants, the Regia Anglorum site
                      <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5d.htm> has instructions you can
                      use to make reasonable ones. If you'd prefer to go with hose like the
                      ones in the Maciejowski Bible there's an article at
                      <http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/medieval/chausse1.html> that may
                      help.) Wool tunics would run a little more, but with careful shopping,
                      not too much. And if you use the same fabric for your kids that you
                      use for yourself, depending on the width you have and the width you
                      need for your pieces, you might not have to spend anything at all on
                      the kids' tunics. My son's second tunic was made from the "leftovers"
                      of the fabric I used to make one for his father.

                      Good luck finding what you need, and kudos on wanting to do it well
                      right from the start, especially for your kids. (So many people don't

                    • Karen Pate
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 7, 2007
                        My apologies, Lady Maeve. You've done absolutely nothing offensive. The
                        fault is mine; I should remember that our purpose is to have fun and learn a
                        bit while doing so!

                        Cym

                        _____

                        --- In scanewcomers@ <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>