Re: [SCA Newcomers] joining

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:38, Sara L Uckelman wrote:
      > If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
      > out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
      > at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.
      >
      > -Aryanhwy

      Great reference! Thanks! I knew Arabic names were complex, but had no idea
      they were as structured as this. I didn't realize there was a pattern to
      the mix of patronymics and honorifics; I had thought they were more-or-less
      arbitrary and based only on family tradition. Live and learn!

      Let's try again...

      On Monday 01 January 2007 22:37, Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar wrote:
      > al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi

      al-Sayyid == Lord
      Abu'l-Basir == Father of Basir (kunya)
      Jibril == Gabriel (ism, personal name)
      ibn Najdah ibn Zayd == Son of Najdah, Gransdon of Zayd (two generation nasab)
      al-`Attar == The Apothecary (nisba, thanks to Aryanhwy for the translation)
      al-Dimashqi == of Damascus (second nisba)

      So, I make this as:

      Lord Jibril, who is a perfumer or apothecary from Damascus and is the
      father of Basir, the son of Najdah, and the Gransdon of Zayd

      Is this closer than my first attempt? :-)

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        That's exactly the case.

        Jibril
        [[who has found Arabic naming to be quite fun!]]