Re: [SCA Newcomers] joining

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      Quoth Iustinos Tekton called Justin:
      > al-`Attar == (I have no idea)

      'The perfumer' or 'the druggist'.

      If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
      out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
      at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:38, Sara L Uckelman wrote:
        > If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
        > out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
        > at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.
        >
        > -Aryanhwy

        Great reference! Thanks! I knew Arabic names were complex, but had no idea
        they were as structured as this. I didn't realize there was a pattern to
        the mix of patronymics and honorifics; I had thought they were more-or-less
        arbitrary and based only on family tradition. Live and learn!

        Let's try again...

        On Monday 01 January 2007 22:37, Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar wrote:
        > al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi

        al-Sayyid == Lord
        Abu'l-Basir == Father of Basir (kunya)
        Jibril == Gabriel (ism, personal name)
        ibn Najdah ibn Zayd == Son of Najdah, Gransdon of Zayd (two generation nasab)
        al-`Attar == The Apothecary (nisba, thanks to Aryanhwy for the translation)
        al-Dimashqi == of Damascus (second nisba)

        So, I make this as:

        Lord Jibril, who is a perfumer or apothecary from Damascus and is the
        father of Basir, the son of Najdah, and the Gransdon of Zayd

        Is this closer than my first attempt? :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
          That's exactly the case.

          Jibril
          [[who has found Arabic naming to be quite fun!]]