Re: [SCA Newcomers] joining

  • Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      Kristi wrote:
      > I'd like to join the group. I'm not a member of SCA yet, but I would like to find out about which group near me in which I could get involved.

      Greetings Kristi!

      Welcome to the group! Once of the best ways to start finding where
      you're located at is to either: a) share you mundane location and get
      a response on list...or b) check out the link from the SCA homepage
      that allows you to lookup what Kingdom you would be in:

      http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html

      Additionally, as a newcomer, take some time to check out the
      Newcomer's Information off of the SCA homepage as well:

      http://www.sca.org/newcomers.html

      I hope that you soon find your local group and get to enjoy the SCA.

      Until the next time,
      al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi, CT, QED
      (formerly: Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi)
      Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
      Kingdom Disaster Relief Coordinator
      Regent, Royal University of Scir-Hafoc
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        On Monday 01 January 2007 22:37, Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar wrote:
        > al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi

        Good morning! I hope you don't mind, but I'm curious about the structure
        of your name.

        al-Dimashqi == of/from Damascus (?)
        ibn Najdah == you are the son of Najdah (?)
        ibn Zayd == you are the grandson of Zayd (?)

        al-`Attar == (I have no idea)

        Since al-Sayyid is structured like a qualifier, does that mean "of the
        house of Sayyid" and therefore is another descriptor rather than your given
        name? If so, would that make your given name "Abu'l-Basir Jibril"? Or have
        I got that all wrong?

        Also, if I'm right about al-Dimasqui being geographical, does this qualifier
        apply to *you* or to Zayd?

        Just curious....I know very little of the Arabic languages and sought to grab
        a "learning moment" here. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
          Quoth Iustinos Tekton called Justin:
          > al-`Attar == (I have no idea)

          'The perfumer' or 'the druggist'.

          If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
          out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
          at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
            On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:38, Sara L Uckelman wrote:
            > If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
            > out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
            > at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.
            >
            > -Aryanhwy

            Great reference! Thanks! I knew Arabic names were complex, but had no idea
            they were as structured as this. I didn't realize there was a pattern to
            the mix of patronymics and honorifics; I had thought they were more-or-less
            arbitrary and based only on family tradition. Live and learn!

            Let's try again...

            On Monday 01 January 2007 22:37, Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar wrote:
            > al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi

            al-Sayyid == Lord
            Abu'l-Basir == Father of Basir (kunya)
            Jibril == Gabriel (ism, personal name)
            ibn Najdah ibn Zayd == Son of Najdah, Gransdon of Zayd (two generation nasab)
            al-`Attar == The Apothecary (nisba, thanks to Aryanhwy for the translation)
            al-Dimashqi == of Damascus (second nisba)

            So, I make this as:

            Lord Jibril, who is a perfumer or apothecary from Damascus and is the
            father of Basir, the son of Najdah, and the Gransdon of Zayd

            Is this closer than my first attempt? :-)

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
              That's exactly the case.

              Jibril
              [[who has found Arabic naming to be quite fun!]]