Re: [SCA Newcomers] joining

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      On Monday 01 January 2007 20:12, Kristi Rivas wrote:
      > Hi,
      >   I'd like to join the group. I'm not a member of SCA yet, but I would
      >   like to find out about which group near me in which I could get
      >   involved. Thanks,
      >   Kristi Rivas

      Ummm..... Not to put too fine a point on it, but would you like us to
      suggest a group in California, Mississippi, Toronto, or Sweden? :-)

      We'll need to know what city and state/province/country you call home in
      order to help you. :-) Don't post your postal address to the list -- that
      isn't needed and would be bad privacy policy on your part. Just get us
      as near to you as your town, and we should be able to point you in the
      right direction.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        Quoting Kristi Rivas <thesla03@...>:

        > Hi,
        > I'd like to join the group. I'm not a member of SCA yet, but I
        > would like to find out about which group near me in which I could
        > get involved. Thanks,

        First thing that we need to know is where you live. Now, I understand
        that you may not be comfortable in giving out detailed information to
        a bunch of Strange People -- if you want, you can email me that
        information off list
        sfarmer AT goldsword DOT com (with no spaces), and I'll get the
        information for you.

        You don't have to Officially Join to play with the SCA, but it will
        save you $3.00 at every event that you attend. In addition, in some
        places, you can't recieve awards or hold office unless you're a paid
        member.

        I'm in Knoxville, Tennessee which is the Barony of Thor's Mountain in
        the Kingdom of Meridies.

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          Kristi wrote:
          > I'd like to join the group. I'm not a member of SCA yet, but I would like to find out about which group near me in which I could get involved.

          Greetings Kristi!

          Welcome to the group! Once of the best ways to start finding where
          you're located at is to either: a) share you mundane location and get
          a response on list...or b) check out the link from the SCA homepage
          that allows you to lookup what Kingdom you would be in:

          http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html

          Additionally, as a newcomer, take some time to check out the
          Newcomer's Information off of the SCA homepage as well:

          http://www.sca.org/newcomers.html

          I hope that you soon find your local group and get to enjoy the SCA.

          Until the next time,
          al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi, CT, QED
          (formerly: Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi)
          Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
          Kingdom Disaster Relief Coordinator
          Regent, Royal University of Scir-Hafoc
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
            On Monday 01 January 2007 22:37, Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar wrote:
            > al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi

            Good morning! I hope you don't mind, but I'm curious about the structure
            of your name.

            al-Dimashqi == of/from Damascus (?)
            ibn Najdah == you are the son of Najdah (?)
            ibn Zayd == you are the grandson of Zayd (?)

            al-`Attar == (I have no idea)

            Since al-Sayyid is structured like a qualifier, does that mean "of the
            house of Sayyid" and therefore is another descriptor rather than your given
            name? If so, would that make your given name "Abu'l-Basir Jibril"? Or have
            I got that all wrong?

            Also, if I'm right about al-Dimasqui being geographical, does this qualifier
            apply to *you* or to Zayd?

            Just curious....I know very little of the Arabic languages and sought to grab
            a "learning moment" here. :-)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
              Quoth Iustinos Tekton called Justin:
              > al-`Attar == (I have no idea)

              'The perfumer' or 'the druggist'.

              If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
              out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
              at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                On Wednesday 03 January 2007 10:38, Sara L Uckelman wrote:
                > If you're interested in the structure of Arabic names, check
                > out Da'ud's article " Period Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
                > at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/arabic-naming2.htm.
                >
                > -Aryanhwy

                Great reference! Thanks! I knew Arabic names were complex, but had no idea
                they were as structured as this. I didn't realize there was a pattern to
                the mix of patronymics and honorifics; I had thought they were more-or-less
                arbitrary and based only on family tradition. Live and learn!

                Let's try again...

                On Monday 01 January 2007 22:37, Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar wrote:
                > al-Sayyid Abu'l-Basir Jibril ibn Najdah ibn Zayd al-`Attar al-Dimashqi

                al-Sayyid == Lord
                Abu'l-Basir == Father of Basir (kunya)
                Jibril == Gabriel (ism, personal name)
                ibn Najdah ibn Zayd == Son of Najdah, Gransdon of Zayd (two generation nasab)
                al-`Attar == The Apothecary (nisba, thanks to Aryanhwy for the translation)
                al-Dimashqi == of Damascus (second nisba)

                So, I make this as:

                Lord Jibril, who is a perfumer or apothecary from Damascus and is the
                father of Basir, the son of Najdah, and the Gransdon of Zayd

                Is this closer than my first attempt? :-)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                  That's exactly the case.

                  Jibril
                  [[who has found Arabic naming to be quite fun!]]