Re: [SCA Newcomers] "device" vs. "arms" (was: What kind od documentation is needed?)

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      Quoth "Maria":
      > I was under the impression that there are several parts of a "Coat of Arms".
      > The arms, the pillars (the things on the sides of the shield shaped spot whe
      > re the arms are), and the motto (which is in a banner looking thing at the bo
      > ttom of the whole thing). The arms are given when you get an AoA (or equivil
      > ant), the pillars are given when you get a Grant of Arms, and the motto can o
      > nly be used when you have a patent of arms (Peerage).
      >
      > That was the way it was explained to me. If I'm wrong please someone correct
      > me.

      The coat of arms is just the design painted on the shield. The rest of
      what you're talking about (the motto, the crest, the supporters) are part
      of the achievement. Rules concerning achievements vary from kingdom
      to kingdom, with some kingdoms having a lot of legislation concerning
      achievements and what you can put where according to what awards that
      you have, while other kingdoms have little or no such legislation.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/