Beginning new project-middling classes- 16th century

  • Chris Catalfamo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hi everyone. Having dabbled in Italian noble last summer (http://chriscat53.livejournal.com), I would like to move to a level where it is more possible to operate without synthetics and still get close to real. I don't yet have the necessary grounding in 16th Century social class and what each could afford and what each had access to in town and countryside so I'm not really yet sure where it will end up. Even as to quality of fabric and affordability of different kinds of dyes. For example what dye made what shades of color. Madder for the poor, cochineal and kermes further up the scale. KInd of decided on the Margo list that it really doesn't "madder" given the paucity of available modern red 100% wools and I'm not yet to the level where I want to dye fabricv from natural substances.Maybe next year. I have purchased linen thread and am et the point where I need to make decisions about what wool for what and also learn the prevalent hand stitches. What I'd like to do is a Margo/Tudor Tailor combo, kirtle and loose or fitted English gown and either a black wool gabardine or a black taffeta doublet gown. So this puts me up to lower noble/gentlewoman at least. Lady Serafina has said that the dancers in the right bottom corner of Fete at Bermondsey are merchant class. I would also like to see an analysis of all the figure in that image by class.
      Any advice on any of this especially the hand sewing since I can start at any time, would be appreciated.