A probably standard message of introduction and questions

  • sapphire_chan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006
      I've participated in the SCA off and on since '99, but seven years
      hasn't been enough time for me to be really confident of anything. So
      I have some questions that I should already have the answers to:

      How do you develop/choose a persona? All I know is that I like both
      the look and construction of the layered tunic look popular in the
      12th century. I also have an interest in eventually doing later
      period garb (like fixing the Elizabethan I made for an event and
      actually wearing it a second time) and I'd like to create Korean garb
      just because most people do Japanese.

      How do you reconcile wearing something that is wildly inappropriate
      for your persona?

      Thanks!

      Elspeth of Rivenstar
    • Donna McDuffie
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
        greetings...your persona could always come from a trading/merchant
        family..hence the different attire.

        Edana of AEthelmearc

        Audere est facere
        Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
      • Elizabeth Cember
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
          Yeah, that seems to be the general conclusion I've found in the reading I've done since posting the question. Figures that I'd have no luck on that topic until I post the question and then as soon as I ask, I find all sorts of information.

          Elspeth (of Rivenstar, considering "the Inquisitive")

          "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
          I woke and saw that life was duty,
          I acted and behold, duty was joy"
          -- Rabinranath Tagore

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
            In a message dated 12/15/2006 2:35:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            sapphire_chan@... writes:

            <<How do you reconcile wearing something that is wildly inappropriate
            for your persona?>>

            Personally, I decided not to try. While I do attend events with specific
            themes that aren't the same as my persona, I just assume that if Brangwayna
            went traveling she'd still wear her normal clothes. But then, I don't really
            have a desire to wear other styles.

            However, the way I reconcile my use/ownership of things which are not period
            for Brangwayna is that she noticed people from other countries (and she
            assumes people from other times are from other countries because everyone knows
            foreigners look different) using whatever it was and decided she wanted one,
            too. Since there are people from all over in the SCA, it was easy for her to
            find someone to make her one. Similarly, my husband, who is a tailor, has
            learned to make things that were not worn in 14th century England or Lowland
            Scotland because people are willing to pay for it. Sometimes he even wears it
            himself to advertise his work.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 16, 2006
              I have a tendancy of thinking that people get WAY too into explaining why their persona would have a variety of different things about them that explain away the vastly different areas of interests the modern individual has.

              My generaly recomendation is don't. Remember that the SCA is a Not for Profit EDUCATIONAL organization. We learn by exploring our interests and DOING. Trying to explain away your interests into your single persona's interest gets overcomplicated especially if you live different time periods hundreds of years apart and in times when two fo the cultures you like, Korea and England had little to no actual direct contact..

              So don't.

              If you truly feel the desire to explain things away... fine, have different persona's, or my favorite method just don't worry about it. We are NOT a strict reenactment society. There are those in the society that ARE strict reenactors but there NEVER has been a requirement to be such. Remember we're about education by doing. So if you have a variety of interests in different centuries on different continents go for it! Enjoy it! Do it! But DON'T worry about it.

              Just my humble opinion, which isn't any more right or wrong that others.

              Ian the Green
              Province of Tree Girt Sea
              Region of the Midlands
              Middle Kingdom