QUESTION ABOUT FINDING SOMETHING......

  • Claire & The Girls
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
      Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides creating a persona & attending events?

      Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
      Claire & The Girls
      The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
      http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
        Quoth Claire & The Girls:
        > Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides cre
        > ating a persona & attending events?

        It isn't imperative, but you'll probably find that just attending
        events may end up being a bit boring - but if you get involved
        (volunteering, serving feast, helping out in the kitchen, hanging
        out at herald's point, participating in or teaching classes,
        attending bardic circles, and much, much more), you'll probably
        find yourself meeting more people and having more fun.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
          I think so-honestly unless your incredably social. But events tend to be all day affairs and unless your competing and participating in evrything....your going to get bored.
          One article ive read suggested drop spinning because its easy and inexpensive.

          Jessica

          Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides creating a persona & attending events?

          Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
          Claire & The Girls
          The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
          http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

        • Dianne & Greg Stucki
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
            At 03:52 PM 12/10/2006, you wrote:

            >Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA
            >besides creating a persona & attending events?

            No, of course not...but you will. I promise you that. ;-)

            In fact, you will probably find that there aren't enough hours in the
            day for all you want to learn to do.

            If you just show up for the party, that's okay too.

            Laurensa
          • Sean
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2006
              My thoughts before joining were always that joining the SCA was for
              the heavy weapons.

              Not even close. Think about what you like to do in your modern-era life.

              If you like to draw, maybe scribing or illumination is for you. If you
              like shooting things, archery or combat archery. If you like wearing
              cool stuff, maybe you could be a tailor. If you can't learn more than
              one subject at a time, or simply can't afford more than one (like me),
              then pick the one that catches your eye the most and put it at the top
              of a list of subjects you're interested in. And then just work on the
              list over time. It'll all still be there when you're ready to get to it.

              Yours in respect and aid,
              Lochlan