Re: How do you till...

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
      The way tell what activity you want to join is by trying them out.
      Pure and simple. Just like any thing else.

      Frankly when I got started in my local group in Chicago, called Tree
      Girt Sea (there are 5 other groups on the Chicago, IL area,) I went to
      Calligraphy and Illumination. Frankly learning calligraphy didn't
      interest me at all and I just wanted to "get the lay of the land"
      having come from a different SCA area. I thought the illumination
      part was making candles or something. (Its the pretty pictures I
      later found out.)

      Well much to my surprise I actually LIKED calligraphy, and liked it so
      much that I do it a lot now. I'm apprenticed to Laurel (A Peer for
      Arts and Sciences,) who teaches Calligraphy and Illumination.

      However, I warn you. DON'T overload yourself. My "plate" as it were
      is as full as I want it. I work alternate between working 45 and 35
      hours in a week, I fence rapier, I do calligraphy, I dance and I have
      a girlfriend. I also occasionally shoot archery and do heavy
      fighting. I'm also the Chatelain for another Chicago group. My
      plates as full as I want it. I also do couple of other things as well.

      But as you can see it is a fairly full plate. It is certainly as full
      as I want it to be. However, I want to learn leather working, some
      specific aspects of woodworking, do some more ink making as well as
      learning how to make silverpoints and a whole host of other things.

      In short when it comes to the SCA the hard part isn't being able to
      tell what you like. You try it and if you like it you ussually keep
      doing it. The hard part is being able to tell when you need to stop
      acquiring NEW hobbies inside the SCA so that you don't get overloaded
      and tip things off your plate.

      Just remember real life is always more important that you hobbies.
      Even the SCA. Your family, job and resposibilities must always come
      first. Hobbies are for fun and shouldn't take over.

      So get out there and try different things. Even if you think you
      might not like it. You may, like I did, find that you like it a lot.
      Just don't overload yourself.

      Ian the Green
      Province of Tree Girt Sea
      Chatelain - Grey Gargoyles
      Region of the Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Devon" <damdevhead@...> wrote:

      > How do you till which actvity do you want to jion. I was thinking of
      > joining the SCA but I am interested in more than one event.....
      > Like combat and poetry

    • Claire & The Girls
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
        Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides creating a persona & attending events?

        Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
        Claire & The Girls
        The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
        http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
          Quoth Claire & The Girls:
          > Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides cre
          > ating a persona & attending events?

          It isn't imperative, but you'll probably find that just attending
          events may end up being a bit boring - but if you get involved
          (volunteering, serving feast, helping out in the kitchen, hanging
          out at herald's point, participating in or teaching classes,
          attending bardic circles, and much, much more), you'll probably
          find yourself meeting more people and having more fun.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
            I think so-honestly unless your incredably social. But events tend to be all day affairs and unless your competing and participating in evrything....your going to get bored.
            One article ive read suggested drop spinning because its easy and inexpensive.

            Jessica

            Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides creating a persona & attending events?

            Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
            Claire & The Girls
            The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
            http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
              At 03:52 PM 12/10/2006, you wrote:

              >Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA
              >besides creating a persona & attending events?

              No, of course not...but you will. I promise you that. ;-)

              In fact, you will probably find that there aren't enough hours in the
              day for all you want to learn to do.

              If you just show up for the party, that's okay too.

              Laurensa
            • Sean
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2006
                My thoughts before joining were always that joining the SCA was for
                the heavy weapons.

                Not even close. Think about what you like to do in your modern-era life.

                If you like to draw, maybe scribing or illumination is for you. If you
                like shooting things, archery or combat archery. If you like wearing
                cool stuff, maybe you could be a tailor. If you can't learn more than
                one subject at a time, or simply can't afford more than one (like me),
                then pick the one that catches your eye the most and put it at the top
                of a list of subjects you're interested in. And then just work on the
                list over time. It'll all still be there when you're ready to get to it.

                Yours in respect and aid,
                Lochlan