Re: [SCA Newcomers] How do you till...

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2006
      Devon wrote:
      > How do you till which actvity do you want to jion. I was thinking of
      > joining the SCA but I am interested in more than one event.....Like
      > combat and poetry

      Just join in on them all.

      There are some people in the SCA who focus all their energy on one
      narrow field of interest. But most of us dabble in a variety of
      things, even if we have one or two heavy favorites. In fact, to become
      a peer of the realm (the highest honor bestowed in the Society), one is
      expected to "have some knowledge of a wide range of period forms,
      including but not limited to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and
      chess, and. . .have some familiarity with combat as practiced in the
      Society," and to "participate in Society recreations of several aspects
      of the culture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance."
      <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
        The way tell what activity you want to join is by trying them out.
        Pure and simple. Just like any thing else.

        Frankly when I got started in my local group in Chicago, called Tree
        Girt Sea (there are 5 other groups on the Chicago, IL area,) I went to
        Calligraphy and Illumination. Frankly learning calligraphy didn't
        interest me at all and I just wanted to "get the lay of the land"
        having come from a different SCA area. I thought the illumination
        part was making candles or something. (Its the pretty pictures I
        later found out.)

        Well much to my surprise I actually LIKED calligraphy, and liked it so
        much that I do it a lot now. I'm apprenticed to Laurel (A Peer for
        Arts and Sciences,) who teaches Calligraphy and Illumination.

        However, I warn you. DON'T overload yourself. My "plate" as it were
        is as full as I want it. I work alternate between working 45 and 35
        hours in a week, I fence rapier, I do calligraphy, I dance and I have
        a girlfriend. I also occasionally shoot archery and do heavy
        fighting. I'm also the Chatelain for another Chicago group. My
        plates as full as I want it. I also do couple of other things as well.

        But as you can see it is a fairly full plate. It is certainly as full
        as I want it to be. However, I want to learn leather working, some
        specific aspects of woodworking, do some more ink making as well as
        learning how to make silverpoints and a whole host of other things.

        In short when it comes to the SCA the hard part isn't being able to
        tell what you like. You try it and if you like it you ussually keep
        doing it. The hard part is being able to tell when you need to stop
        acquiring NEW hobbies inside the SCA so that you don't get overloaded
        and tip things off your plate.

        Just remember real life is always more important that you hobbies.
        Even the SCA. Your family, job and resposibilities must always come
        first. Hobbies are for fun and shouldn't take over.

        So get out there and try different things. Even if you think you
        might not like it. You may, like I did, find that you like it a lot.
        Just don't overload yourself.

        Ian the Green
        Province of Tree Girt Sea
        Chatelain - Grey Gargoyles
        Region of the Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Devon" <damdevhead@...> wrote:

        > How do you till which actvity do you want to jion. I was thinking of
        > joining the SCA but I am interested in more than one event.....
        > Like combat and poetry

      • Claire & The Girls
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
          Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides creating a persona & attending events?

          Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
          Claire & The Girls
          The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
          http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
            Quoth Claire & The Girls:
            > Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides cre
            > ating a persona & attending events?

            It isn't imperative, but you'll probably find that just attending
            events may end up being a bit boring - but if you get involved
            (volunteering, serving feast, helping out in the kitchen, hanging
            out at herald's point, participating in or teaching classes,
            attending bardic circles, and much, much more), you'll probably
            find yourself meeting more people and having more fun.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
              I think so-honestly unless your incredably social. But events tend to be all day affairs and unless your competing and participating in evrything....your going to get bored.
              One article ive read suggested drop spinning because its easy and inexpensive.

              Jessica

              Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA besides creating a persona & attending events?

              Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
              Claire & The Girls
              The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
              http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2006
                At 03:52 PM 12/10/2006, you wrote:

                >Is it imperative that a newbie "finds" something to do in the SCA
                >besides creating a persona & attending events?

                No, of course not...but you will. I promise you that. ;-)

                In fact, you will probably find that there aren't enough hours in the
                day for all you want to learn to do.

                If you just show up for the party, that's okay too.

                Laurensa
              • Sean
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2006
                  My thoughts before joining were always that joining the SCA was for
                  the heavy weapons.

                  Not even close. Think about what you like to do in your modern-era life.

                  If you like to draw, maybe scribing or illumination is for you. If you
                  like shooting things, archery or combat archery. If you like wearing
                  cool stuff, maybe you could be a tailor. If you can't learn more than
                  one subject at a time, or simply can't afford more than one (like me),
                  then pick the one that catches your eye the most and put it at the top
                  of a list of subjects you're interested in. And then just work on the
                  list over time. It'll all still be there when you're ready to get to it.

                  Yours in respect and aid,
                  Lochlan