painted plates (was: feast gear)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
      Pren wrote:
      > His plate was painted (looked like it was made at one of those paint
      > you own ceramics places) with his arms. I loved it! I want some dishes
      > just like that! are they at all period?

      That depends on the period. Where and when did you want your plates to
      be from?

      Fifteenth- and sixteenth-century maiolica often incorporated heraldic
      designs. The Gutenberg School of Scribes
      <http://www.rencentral.com/GSS/lesson11-maiolica.shtml> and Mary's
      Maiolica Arts <http://www.marysmaiolicaarts.com/> both offer historic
      and "how to" information on maiolica, with photos of artifact pieces.

      In an earlier post you indicated you were "shooting for" England,
      around 1350, as your persona's setting. Maiolica was being done that
      early, but the color palette was limited (there's info on that on the
      sites I cited above) and I don't know whether heraldic motifs had yet
      become common. There are photos of some 14th-century pieces at
      <http://www.maiolicarinascimentale.it/mostra/e06.htm>,
      <http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~kovacevi/Maiolicaanalysis.htm>, and
      <http://www.mdc.hr/splitgr/eng/zbirke/21-keramika/z21-01.html>. The
      style is known as "archaic maiolica". If you're trying to match your
      feast gear to your persona, don't forget that maiolica wasn't made in
      England (at least that early), so such plates would've been import
      items, possibly quite expensive.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • archerpren
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
        Dear Coblaith,
        Thanks so much for the information. How did you get to know
        about this type of functional art? Ok just currious. Here is the rest
        of my response.....

        ***That depends on the period. Where and when did you want your
        plates to be from?

        I am still deciding on this. I keep changing my mind and I thought I
        would just see what sort of items (dishes, clothes, art etc.)
        appealed to me and go from there. Instead of trying to pick based on
        the history of an area but that was getting too confusing for me. I
        am a total maggpie. I like stuff and fancy stuff too!

        I really appreciate the links and i printed out the information and
        will read it tonight. The art of these painted plates are beautiful.
        Can you imagine setting an entire feast table with these!? wow.

        ***If you're trying to match your feast gear to your persona, don't
        forget that maiolica wasn't made in England (at least that early), so
        such plates would've been import items, possibly quite expensive.

        I am trying to match everything up, well eventually. For now I am
        kind of testing different areas of interest. Like I have already made
        an Italian dress, Im working on a german one, and I have an
        Elizabethan in the planning stages. I figure I will wear them around
        and see which suits me best. Its like my wedding dress you know. I
        thought I knew what wanted till I was forced into this dress I was
        sure I would hate and it was like "Yup this is the one. It was made
        just for me" I figure it will be like that with a persona. You Know?
        Thanks for the information! Pren
        lyondemere, kingdom of caid
      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
          > --- In scanewcomers@y..., "yukemiha654" <yukemiha654@y...> wrote:
          >> Hello everyone. I'm new to the sca and I have a lot of questions
          > and
          >> am having difficulty finding any info or any help from anyone for
          >> that matter. I have yet to come up with a persona nor do I have a
          >> name. Any ideas on where to look for interesting time periods or
          >> names?

          Perhaps this is an older message, or perhaps I just missed it
          previously.

          Check out this file in the PERSONA section of the Florilegium for some
          little used persona ideas.
          Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
          Montgris (known as 'Lainie).
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

          Also look at the other files on personas in that section. For some
          information on different time periods or cultures, take a look at the
          files in the CULTURES section.

          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/idxcultures.html

          >> Also, I have some feast gear, but it is silver.... is that ok?
          >> Or should I continue my search for renaisance things.

          For an upper class noble in mid-to late period, certainly. However,
          for almost all countries, the dinner fork was almost unknown.

          For some suggestions on feastgear from an SCA and period standpoint,
          see this file in the FEASTS section:
          feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA.
          cleaning wooden feastgear.

          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html
          For information on forks and spoons and plates and such in period, see
          the files in the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/idxutensils.html

          For some info on making things like horn spoons, see some of the files
          in the CRAFTS section such as:
          Horn-Spoons-art (9K) 1/ 5/00 "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress Gunnora
          Hallakarva.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Horn-Spoons-art.html

          These would very appropriate for Viking Age persona, Norse or
          otherwise. As would wood.

          For things like horn, wood, bone utensils I would strongly recommend
          reading the files in the FOOD-UTENSILS section before washing them,
          and definitely before sticking such utensils in the dishwasher!
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/idxutensils.html

          Stefan
          Who has gradually built up over the years a complete set of "pewter"
          utensils, because pottery has a rather short lifetime with me!
          --------