Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      Cym wrote:
      > I'm thinking of going to a feast, and I know I need "feast gear.". .
      > .I'm not sure what's acceptable and what's not in terms of being
      > "period."

      There are two general statements that apply to most questions about
      "what's acceptable in terms of being 'period'", including this one.

      1: You are ultimately the sole judge of what is or is not "period
      enough" for you.

      Others may have opinions about what you're doing, and you may face some
      social censure if you don't at least try to contribute to "the
      atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages and
      Renaissance" that Society events are meant to evoke, but as long as
      you're wearing "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing", you've met
      the minimal requirements for attendance at an event
      <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>. The only person whose standards for
      "periodness" you're required to meet is you.

      2: What the people around you will expect depends on where in the
      Knowne World you are located.

      Each group has its own history and customs, and its own predominant
      ideas about what's most important. What might be seen as an acceptable
      concession to comfort by one could be considered joltingly
      obtrusive--and thus inappropriate--by another. If you'd like to know
      what the standards are in your area, it's a good idea to consult people
      there. (If you don't yet have local friends to whom you can turn for
      advice, consult your branch hospitaler or chatelaine, or, if you have
      neither, your seneschal.) When you post questions here, you should
      always include your locale, so that those who answer can give you the
      most relevant answers possible. (I recommend you get into the habit of
      following your name with those of your branch and your kingdom in your
      signature. That way, you don't have to remember to put the info in
      every time you send a query.)

      > Tips, including where to get these items, would be appreciated.

      What people ate from and with varied a lot over the core SCA millennium
      and from place to place. If you're going to invest a lot of money in
      feast gear, think about who your persona is going to be and how much
      you care about having feast gear that "matches" that persona before you
      buy.

      If you just want something inexpensive and plausibly-medieval to use
      now, wood is tough to beat. For some periods (mine, for instance),
      it's the most authentic choice, regardless of social status. For most
      others, it was used at least sometimes, by the members of at least some
      classes. As others have commented, second-hand bowls and plates are
      often available for pennies a piece at thrift stores, and you can
      sometimes find perfectly-sized wooden spoons at dollar stores. If
      you're ready to spend a little more, lovely, affordable pieces are
      carried by online vendors like Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
      <http://www.ragweedforge.com/cat-misc.html>.

      I'd recommend at minimum you bring a bowl, a plate (or a second bowl),
      a knife, a spoon, and something to drink from for each member of your
      party. A cloth napkin or three each and a basket to stack it all in
      will come in handy, too, as will a candleholder and candles on some
      occasions. "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket"
      <http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html>
      gives a good overview.

      Karen Larsdatter's site includes annotated links to photos of surviving
      medieval and Renaissance tableware and period paintings showing table
      service <http://www.larsdatter.com/feastgear.htm>. It's a good place
      to start your research, if you want persona-specific gear. She also
      has links to over three dozen merchants selling replicas of various
      kinds, some of which include on their websites a good deal of
      information on the periods to which their pieces are appropriate.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>