Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
      That's great advice! I've had lots of luck hitting
      places like ARC, Savers, and Goodwill for feastware.

      But if you're having a hard time finding any, get
      with your baronial or cantonial hospitaller. They
      SHOULD have loaner feastware as well. If you're in
      Caerthe looking for something for Yule or 12th Night,
      send me an e-mail, and we'll get you set up.

      Lochlan

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Backlin" <edrei@...> wrote:

> [...]
    • archerpren
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
        I also have heard that you probably want to get wooden plates and bowls
        because if you get the metal ones they suck the heat out of your food
        really fast. I think this is probably true because I used a metal cup
        at the feast I just attended and the cup was freezing! Granted I had a
        cold drink in it but it just shows that the temperature is transfered
        to the metal instead of staying in the food item. Pren
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
          On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:50, archerpren wrote:
          > wooden plates and bowls

          Wooden is great, but remember to be sure that it's treated only with
          food-safe oils. You can buy preservative oils that are specifically noted
          as being safe for food-contacting surfaces. :-)

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • archerpren
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
            if you buy them in a thrift store how would you know? Just wondering.
            pren

            <justin@...> wrote:

            > On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:50, archerpren wrote:
            > > wooden plates and bowls
            >
            > Wooden is great, but remember to be sure that it's treated only with
            > food-safe oils. You can buy preservative oils that are specifically
            noted
            > as being safe for food-contacting surfaces. :-)
            >
            > Justin
          • Kimiko Small
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
              At 10:50 AM 12/5/2006, you wrote:
              >I also have heard that you probably want to get wooden plates and bowls
              >because if you get the metal ones they suck the heat out of your food
              >really fast. I think this is probably true because I used a metal cup
              >at the feast I just attended and the cup was freezing! Granted I had a
              >cold drink in it but it just shows that the temperature is transfered
              >to the metal instead of staying in the food item. Pren

              You can hurt yourself with hot mulled cider using a metal goblet or tanker.
              I love my wooden goblet, because it is bigger than my dainty silver one yet
              still will let me nicely warm my hands on the mulled cider without burning
              them or my lips (yes, I've done that... once).

              However, I've not had any problems with my food rated pewter plates, other
              than the bottom getting a little warm. I've also used wooden plates, and
              both work nicely for me.

              Joane Silvertoppe
              B. Nordwache, K. Caid
              mka Kimiko Small, Fresno, CA, USA
              A Gentlewoman's Warderobe Accounts
              http://www.kimiko1.com/warderobe.html
            • kuriouskitty32f
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
                I have also heard tale that some of the ales and meads that are made
                may have a chemical reaction to metal.

                Edana of AEthelmearc