Re: Feast

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      Many times most of the regular members of a group bring an extra
      place setting or two just in case there is a new commer who might
      need some feast gear for the evening. Also, the local hospitlar
      usually has at least some basic feast gear for loan...I would just
      get in contact with them first so they know you'll be needing it.
      Our guy is really good about never being anywhere without all of the
      gold key buckets.
      I think that a small plate, bowl, knife or eating dagger, spoon (a
      fork if you just "have to have it"), mug/cup and a napkin are the
      basic things you'd want for yourself. A candle and holder is always
      nice to add to the atmosphere. Most people you will share a table
      with are going to have salt and pepper and a table cloth so don't
      feel you have to go out and break the bank for your first feast.
      This is also something you build on, like everything else in the
      SCA!
      I have found some great finds at Salvation Army and the $ Stores. If
      you look sometimes you can even get stuff at Wally World but that is
      rare.

      Alright, I'm done running on about feast gear...good luck!

      Herrin Hedwig von Luneborg

      Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Ich bin NICHT eine Eule!
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
        Cym wrote:
        > I'm thinking of going to a feast, and I know I need "feast gear.". .
        > .I'm not sure what's acceptable and what's not in terms of being
        > "period."

        There are two general statements that apply to most questions about
        "what's acceptable in terms of being 'period'", including this one.

        1: You are ultimately the sole judge of what is or is not "period
        enough" for you.

        Others may have opinions about what you're doing, and you may face some
        social censure if you don't at least try to contribute to "the
        atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages and
        Renaissance" that Society events are meant to evoke, but as long as
        you're wearing "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing", you've met
        the minimal requirements for attendance at an event
        <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>. The only person whose standards for
        "periodness" you're required to meet is you.

        2: What the people around you will expect depends on where in the
        Knowne World you are located.

        Each group has its own history and customs, and its own predominant
        ideas about what's most important. What might be seen as an acceptable
        concession to comfort by one could be considered joltingly
        obtrusive--and thus inappropriate--by another. If you'd like to know
        what the standards are in your area, it's a good idea to consult people
        there. (If you don't yet have local friends to whom you can turn for
        advice, consult your branch hospitaler or chatelaine, or, if you have
        neither, your seneschal.) When you post questions here, you should
        always include your locale, so that those who answer can give you the
        most relevant answers possible. (I recommend you get into the habit of
        following your name with those of your branch and your kingdom in your
        signature. That way, you don't have to remember to put the info in
        every time you send a query.)

        > Tips, including where to get these items, would be appreciated.

        What people ate from and with varied a lot over the core SCA millennium
        and from place to place. If you're going to invest a lot of money in
        feast gear, think about who your persona is going to be and how much
        you care about having feast gear that "matches" that persona before you
        buy.

        If you just want something inexpensive and plausibly-medieval to use
        now, wood is tough to beat. For some periods (mine, for instance),
        it's the most authentic choice, regardless of social status. For most
        others, it was used at least sometimes, by the members of at least some
        classes. As others have commented, second-hand bowls and plates are
        often available for pennies a piece at thrift stores, and you can
        sometimes find perfectly-sized wooden spoons at dollar stores. If
        you're ready to spend a little more, lovely, affordable pieces are
        carried by online vendors like Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
        <http://www.ragweedforge.com/cat-misc.html>.

        I'd recommend at minimum you bring a bowl, a plate (or a second bowl),
        a knife, a spoon, and something to drink from for each member of your
        party. A cloth napkin or three each and a basket to stack it all in
        will come in handy, too, as will a candleholder and candles on some
        occasions. "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket"
        <http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html>
        gives a good overview.

        Karen Larsdatter's site includes annotated links to photos of surviving
        medieval and Renaissance tableware and period paintings showing table
        service <http://www.larsdatter.com/feastgear.htm>. It's a good place
        to start your research, if you want persona-specific gear. She also
        has links to over three dozen merchants selling replicas of various
        kinds, some of which include on their websites a good deal of
        information on the periods to which their pieces are appropriate.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>