Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast

  • David Backlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      From: "Cym" <cym.lloyd@...>

      > I'm thinking of going to a feast, and I know I need "feast gear."
      > Obviously, one needs the basic equipment, but I'm not sure what's
      > acceptable and what's not in terms of being "period." Tips, including
      > where to get these items, would be appreciated.

      There's no exact "rule" to go by except that things don't look blatantly
      Mundane. A wooden or metal trencher would be good plus a bowl and some kind
      of drinking vessel.... oh and utensils. You can find a lot of things to get
      you started at the local thrift stores or even from various SCA merchants.

      I know of lots of people that use the silverware with the turned wooden
      handles. While they aren't entirely period, they aren't blatantly mundane,
      either.
    • Sean
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
        That's great advice! I've had lots of luck hitting
        places like ARC, Savers, and Goodwill for feastware.

        But if you're having a hard time finding any, get
        with your baronial or cantonial hospitaller. They
        SHOULD have loaner feastware as well. If you're in
        Caerthe looking for something for Yule or 12th Night,
        send me an e-mail, and we'll get you set up.

        Lochlan

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Backlin" <edrei@...> wrote:

> [...]
      • archerpren
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
          I also have heard that you probably want to get wooden plates and bowls
          because if you get the metal ones they suck the heat out of your food
          really fast. I think this is probably true because I used a metal cup
          at the feast I just attended and the cup was freezing! Granted I had a
          cold drink in it but it just shows that the temperature is transfered
          to the metal instead of staying in the food item. Pren
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
            On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:50, archerpren wrote:
            > wooden plates and bowls

            Wooden is great, but remember to be sure that it's treated only with
            food-safe oils. You can buy preservative oils that are specifically noted
            as being safe for food-contacting surfaces. :-)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • archerpren
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
              if you buy them in a thrift store how would you know? Just wondering.
              pren

              <justin@...> wrote:

              > On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:50, archerpren wrote:
              > > wooden plates and bowls
              >
              > Wooden is great, but remember to be sure that it's treated only with
              > food-safe oils. You can buy preservative oils that are specifically
              noted
              > as being safe for food-contacting surfaces. :-)
              >
              > Justin
            • Kimiko Small
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
                At 10:50 AM 12/5/2006, you wrote:
                >I also have heard that you probably want to get wooden plates and bowls
                >because if you get the metal ones they suck the heat out of your food
                >really fast. I think this is probably true because I used a metal cup
                >at the feast I just attended and the cup was freezing! Granted I had a
                >cold drink in it but it just shows that the temperature is transfered
                >to the metal instead of staying in the food item. Pren

                You can hurt yourself with hot mulled cider using a metal goblet or tanker.
                I love my wooden goblet, because it is bigger than my dainty silver one yet
                still will let me nicely warm my hands on the mulled cider without burning
                them or my lips (yes, I've done that... once).

                However, I've not had any problems with my food rated pewter plates, other
                than the bottom getting a little warm. I've also used wooden plates, and
                both work nicely for me.

                Joane Silvertoppe
                B. Nordwache, K. Caid
                mka Kimiko Small, Fresno, CA, USA
                A Gentlewoman's Warderobe Accounts
                http://www.kimiko1.com/warderobe.html
              • kuriouskitty32f
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
                  I have also heard tale that some of the ales and meads that are made
                  may have a chemical reaction to metal.

                  Edana of AEthelmearc