Feast

  • Cym
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      I'm thinking of going to a feast, and I know I need "feast gear."
      Obviously, one needs the basic equipment, but I'm not sure what's
      acceptable and what's not in terms of being "period." Tips, including
      where to get these items, would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Cym
    • Melissa
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
        Many times most of the regular members of a group bring an extra
        place setting or two just in case there is a new commer who might
        need some feast gear for the evening. Also, the local hospitlar
        usually has at least some basic feast gear for loan...I would just
        get in contact with them first so they know you'll be needing it.
        Our guy is really good about never being anywhere without all of the
        gold key buckets.
        I think that a small plate, bowl, knife or eating dagger, spoon (a
        fork if you just "have to have it"), mug/cup and a napkin are the
        basic things you'd want for yourself. A candle and holder is always
        nice to add to the atmosphere. Most people you will share a table
        with are going to have salt and pepper and a table cloth so don't
        feel you have to go out and break the bank for your first feast.
        This is also something you build on, like everything else in the
        SCA!
        I have found some great finds at Salvation Army and the $ Stores. If
        you look sometimes you can even get stuff at Wally World but that is
        rare.

        Alright, I'm done running on about feast gear...good luck!

        Herrin Hedwig von Luneborg

        Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Ich bin NICHT eine Eule!
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
          Cym wrote:
          > I'm thinking of going to a feast, and I know I need "feast gear.". .
          > .I'm not sure what's acceptable and what's not in terms of being
          > "period."

          There are two general statements that apply to most questions about
          "what's acceptable in terms of being 'period'", including this one.

          1: You are ultimately the sole judge of what is or is not "period
          enough" for you.

          Others may have opinions about what you're doing, and you may face some
          social censure if you don't at least try to contribute to "the
          atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages and
          Renaissance" that Society events are meant to evoke, but as long as
          you're wearing "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing", you've met
          the minimal requirements for attendance at an event
          <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>. The only person whose standards for
          "periodness" you're required to meet is you.

          2: What the people around you will expect depends on where in the
          Knowne World you are located.

          Each group has its own history and customs, and its own predominant
          ideas about what's most important. What might be seen as an acceptable
          concession to comfort by one could be considered joltingly
          obtrusive--and thus inappropriate--by another. If you'd like to know
          what the standards are in your area, it's a good idea to consult people
          there. (If you don't yet have local friends to whom you can turn for
          advice, consult your branch hospitaler or chatelaine, or, if you have
          neither, your seneschal.) When you post questions here, you should
          always include your locale, so that those who answer can give you the
          most relevant answers possible. (I recommend you get into the habit of
          following your name with those of your branch and your kingdom in your
          signature. That way, you don't have to remember to put the info in
          every time you send a query.)

          > Tips, including where to get these items, would be appreciated.

          What people ate from and with varied a lot over the core SCA millennium
          and from place to place. If you're going to invest a lot of money in
          feast gear, think about who your persona is going to be and how much
          you care about having feast gear that "matches" that persona before you
          buy.

          If you just want something inexpensive and plausibly-medieval to use
          now, wood is tough to beat. For some periods (mine, for instance),
          it's the most authentic choice, regardless of social status. For most
          others, it was used at least sometimes, by the members of at least some
          classes. As others have commented, second-hand bowls and plates are
          often available for pennies a piece at thrift stores, and you can
          sometimes find perfectly-sized wooden spoons at dollar stores. If
          you're ready to spend a little more, lovely, affordable pieces are
          carried by online vendors like Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
          <http://www.ragweedforge.com/cat-misc.html>.

          I'd recommend at minimum you bring a bowl, a plate (or a second bowl),
          a knife, a spoon, and something to drink from for each member of your
          party. A cloth napkin or three each and a basket to stack it all in
          will come in handy, too, as will a candleholder and candles on some
          occasions. "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket"
          <http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html>
          gives a good overview.

          Karen Larsdatter's site includes annotated links to photos of surviving
          medieval and Renaissance tableware and period paintings showing table
          service <http://www.larsdatter.com/feastgear.htm>. It's a good place
          to start your research, if you want persona-specific gear. She also
          has links to over three dozen merchants selling replicas of various
          kinds, some of which include on their websites a good deal of
          information on the periods to which their pieces are appropriate.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>