thank you notes

  • andermazzasen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
      I'm new to SCA in the Outlands. The largesse guild in my barony has
      made me and each of my family members tunics. What's a period way to
      send thank you notes? Regretfully, I don't know calligraphy.

      Thank you,
      Rosa Maria di Mazza
    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
        Quoting andermazzasen <cmmom@...>:

        > I'm new to SCA in the Outlands. The largesse guild in my barony has
        > made me and each of my family members tunics. What's a period way to
        > send thank you notes? Regretfully, I don't know calligraphy.

        There are some tips here
        http://www.geocities.com/sorchamacleod/cwus.html

        I was hoping that The Art of Writing Forsoothly was on the web ...
        (It's in the Known World Handbook if you can get a copy), but there
        are some good hints on that web page.

        One thing to keep in mind is that letters/notes were structured very
        differently than what we do today. I might say something like

        Lady Jerusha Kilgore sends warmest greetings unto her dearest sister
        on this the 29th day of November A.S. 41 being 2006 Gregorian,

        text of letter/note

        By my hand,
        jerusha

        Now there are several phrases that you may see a lot in SCA usage
        depending on the context -- In Service to the Dream; In Service to
        Crown and Kingdom; In Fealty (if you've so sworn); with grateful
        thanks, etc.

        Hope this helps!

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
          On Wednesday 29 November 2006 11:23, andermazzasen wrote:
          > I'm new to SCA in the Outlands. The largesse guild in my barony has
          > made me and each of my family members tunics. What's a period way to
          > send thank you notes? Regretfully, I don't know calligraphy.

          M'Lady Rosa, welcome!

          Your courtesy in taking the time not only to consider a thank-you note,
          but also to try to make it period-style, is commendable!

          Not to gainsay what others will offer as literal answers to your question,
          but may I offer another suggestion as well?

          The Largesse Guild has gifted you with something made by their hands,
          as an act of service to the Kingdom and the SCA (and of course to you).
          You could also repay their kindness by volunteering for an act of service
          at an event, in their name. It could be as simple as doing some dishes
          after your next feast, or taking a shift at Troll (the in-gate) for an
          event (don't worry...if you volunteer, I'm sure the experienced folk will
          be glad to teach you how).

          It needn't (and indeed is even more wonderful if not) be flashy or public.
          Just speak to an event staff member, tell them that you would like to repay
          a kindness from the Largesse Guild by doing a volunteer shift in their
          name, and that you are new and may need some guidance. There's always
          plenty to do, and the event staff will undoubtedly appreciate the offer.

          And, as many newcomers (including myself, mumbledy-mumble years ago) have
          learned, volunteering is also a terrific way to meet new friends.

          Don't get too carried away...it's okay to have fun and relax, too. :-)

          Kind regards,

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
            In my mind there are 4 easy ways to say thank you.

            1) Write a modern note of thanks. Perfectly acceptable and greatfully
            appreciated I'm sure.

            2) Recommend the largesse guild for a group service award should your
            Kingdom have that.

            3) As you have received service by the hand of others, give service to
            others by your hand. It needn't be making garb or some such. Just
            helping set up and tear down at events or in the kitchen or at check-
            in. There are all sorts of ways to give service in the SCA.

            4) Commission a calligrapher to write a period thank you note to the
            guild. This is a very period way to do things as many people in
            period did not know how to write.

            Ian the Green
            Chatelain - Grey Gargoyles
            Apprentice to Mistress Magdalena von der Plesse
            for calligraphy
            Region of the Midlands
            Middle Kingdom