Re: [SCA Newcomers] adressing the baroness

  • Archangel
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 20, 2006
      Here are the corect royal addresses :King or Queen: Your Majesty; Sir or Madam. Other royalty: Your Royal Highness. Duke/Duchess:Your Grace or Duke/Duchess. Marquess/Marchioness:My Lord/Madam or Dear Lord/Lady. Earl:My Lord or Dear Lord. Countess (wife of an earl):Madam or Dear Lady . Viscount/Viscountess:My Lord/Lady or Dear Lord/Lady. Baron/Baroness:My Lord/Madam or Dear Lord/Lady. Baronet:Dear Sir. Wife of Baronet:Dear Madam. Knight:Dear Sir. Wife of knight:Lady
      Hope that helps :-)
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 20, 2006
        Thank you for the info. I was just asking someone about how to
        address "royalty" earlier this evening, instead of dodging them at
        every turn. I have only been playing since July 2006 and am still
        not sure about some of the specifics. Until I am, I do a great job
        of going in the opposite direction from whence they come...am sure I
        will be cornered one day though.

        Edana

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Archangel" <Archangel@...>
        wrote:

        > Here are the corect royal addresses :King or Queen: Your Majesty;
        Sir or Madam. Other royalty: Your Royal Highness. Duke/Duchess:Your
        Grace or Duke/Duchess. Marquess/Marchioness:My Lord/Madam or Dear
        Lord/Lady. Earl:My Lord or Dear Lord. Countess (wife of an
        earl):Madam or Dear Lady . Viscount/Viscountess:My Lord/Lady or Dear
        Lord/Lady. Baron/Baroness:My Lord/Madam or Dear Lord/Lady.
        Baronet:Dear Sir. Wife of Baronet:Dear Madam. Knight:Dear Sir. Wife
        of knight:Lady
        > Hope that helps :-)

        11/20/06

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 21, 2006
          pren wrote:
          > . . .I always call [our baroness] just angelina because I feel like I
          > know her. . .Am I being disrespectfull?. . .I just want to be sure to
          > practice the correct form of address so as to show respect for the
          > higher ups you know?

          There's a brief introduction to the various Society ranks, and the
          forms of address associated with each one, at
          <http://chatelaine.atlantia.sca.org/newcomerdocs/Nobility.htm>.

          If you're concerned about forms of address not only for your own
          baroness but for all "the higher-ups", you might find it helpful to
          learn the sumptuary laws for your kingdom, and to familiarize yourself
          with the regalia and badges of the various peerages (white belts and
          circular chains for knights, white baldrics for masters and mistresses
          of the chivalry, laurel wreaths for laurels, chapeaus or pelicans
          vulning themselves or in their piety for pelicans).

          In Ansteorra, for example, a circlet more than a half-inch high is a
          coronet. A coronet that is flat or engrailed, with or without 6 to 12
          hemi-spherical projections, indicates a baroness or baron. A coronet
          with 1, 4, or 6 semi-circular projections indicates a viscountess or
          viscount. An embattled or dovetailed coronet indicates a countess or
          count. A coronet with three strawberry leaves on it indicates a
          duchess or duke. And a crown with the Queen's Rose marks the current
          queen. (There are other elements that are restricted, but worn by
          people of various ranks. All the details are in Article IX of the
          Kingdom Law
          <http://seneschal.ansteorra.org/forms/Jan2006_Ansteorra_Law.pdf>.)

          A lot of people with the right to wear one or the other of these choose
          not to, or choose to wear them only to court. But they're generally
          the ones that are happy to be known as "m'lady" or "m'lord", despite
          being titled.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 21, 2006
            Baroness are people too. She has a real job and life outside the SCA.

            Unless stated otherwise most "hats" (those with head decorations like a
            crown of some kind,) generally don't want to have their formal title
            and address used at regular weekly activities.

            However, at events and "official" moments, whatever those may end up
            being, then yes.

            You can address a baron or baronees by the title Baron(ess) NAME. OR
            you can address them as Baron(ess) NAME OF BARONNY. OR you can simply
            address a Baron(ess) as Your Excellency.

            Grace if for Dukes and Duchesses. Highness is for territorial prince
            and princesses, royal highness for heirs to the throne, Majesties for
            sitting royalty. (They have a whole host of other ways to address
            sitting royalty but Majesty is enough for now.)

            Ian the Green

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "archerpren" <archerpren@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi all! I have a quick question our baroness leads our company of
            > clotheirs group once a month and is so nice and helpfull in all
            aspects
            > of being a new sca member. Her sca name is baroness angelina. but I
            > always call her just angelina because I feel like I know her (not
            that
            > we like kick it on the weekends or anything). Am I being
            > disrespectfull? She is so nice I don't think she would ever correct
            me.
            > She doesn't seem offended either. I am fairly new to this whole thing
            > and I just want to be sure to practice the correct form of address so
            > as to show respect for the higher ups you know? thanks! pren

          • archerpren

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 22, 2006
                Reguarding 'Hats'.

                A good rule of thumb is if their wearing their hat, use the title. If
                not they are incognito.

                Some people tend to shy away from speaking to a 'hat', whereas if
                there is no hat visible, conversation is much easier.

                Baron Master Gwilym
              • Patrick Callahan
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
                  I ADDRESS ALL ANY SUNDRY ROYALS AS "YOUR ROYAL
                  HIGHNESS".
                  AT FIRST GREETING YOU USE A FULL ADDRESS "YOUR ROYAL
                  HIGHNESS: (RANK/TITLE) (ROYALS FULL NAME HERE)".
                  EXAMPLE: "YOUR ROYAL HIGHNESS: KING ZEUS OLYMPIA".
                  AFTER THAT "YOUR ROYAL HIGHNESS" UNLESS INSTRUCTED
                  OTHERWISE BY SAID ROYAL. KREYZE PADREYK
                • Patrick Callahan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
                    Most "SCA" royals, IMO, are great people to talk to.
                    Very knowledgeable, interesting and as such should not
                    be avoided. If you treat them with some sort of
                    courtesy and formality that is usually enough. They
                    do not tend to hung up on proper forms of address, as
                    long as you acknowledge their rank/title and give them
                    some respect. Kreyze Padreyk.