documenting names (was: Howdy from the new guy...)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
      jw wrote:
      > (My last name is Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an
      > older version of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and
      > the normal spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around
      > at that time as well).

      You might want to consult with a herald before you get your heart set
      on this. You can't register your entire mundane name as your Society
      name (though you can use elements from it--just the first, or just the
      last, for instance). Changing "Wilkins" to "Wylekins" might not be
      sufficient, since one is a variant of the other and their sound and
      spelling are similar. (I know "John Wilkins" and "John Wylekins" would
      conflict with one another, if they were being submitted by two
      different individuals. I'm just not sure whether the same standard
      applies where the mundane-name rule is concerned.)

      Later, jw commented:
      > It looks like I am settling on the 1200's, and "John" was certainly
      > prevalent (as in THE John who was crowned alongside "Isabella" in
      > 1200. . .

      Modern writings about people who lived in centuries past typically use
      standardized forms of names, for the convenience of the reader. While
      they can, therefore, at least suggest that some version of a given name
      existed at the mentioned time, they do not document spellings. (A
      modern book might, for instance, name as "John" someone referred to in
      documents from his own time as "Iohannes".)

      One excellent place to start looking for documentation of period
      spellings is the Medieval Names Archive
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. You'll want the guide to English
      names from the Conquest to 1300
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/eng1066to1300.shtml>.

      You might also ask the Academy of St. Gabriel
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/gabemail.html> to assist you with documenting
      the name you want and it's 13th-century spellings. They can suggest
      alternatives--such as other names similar but not identical to
      "Wilkins"/"Wylekins"--as well, should you find you need to change an
      element of your name. They're very helpful, and usually pretty quick
      to respond. Letters from them are accepted as documentation by the
      College of Arms.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra