Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona / Garb / Accesories Question (kind of long)

  • johnwylekin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2006
      This was an outstanding explanation, and thank you, Brangwayna.
      I've been thinking a lot about SCA clothing and accoutrements, etc.,
      and your explanation helped clarify the ambiguity of many, many SCA
      weblinks.

      For personal reasons I am sticking with my name since both the first
      (Christian) name and surname were around the time period (1100-1200
      AD) I've been looking at, only the surname was a different spelling.

      These past two years have been a renewal for me in many ways, and I
      think carrying my "real-life" persona into SCA would be perfect. I
      know many think this is uncreative, but my only sophisticated
      defense and explanation can be "it works for me."

      My family was primarily Norman it seems (I've only just begun to
      research this and have more general info. rather than specific), and
      the name showed up in it's earliest form in Germania.

      Can anyone recommend good genealogy/ancestry sites? And I apologize
      for not throwing common SCA terms around, because, well... I'm new
      to SCA!

      Thanks again Brangwayna!

      Good luck to all new and veteran SCAndals.

      I've sent inquiry emails to Ansteorra/Steppes contacts, and haven't
      received replies yet. If there is anyone in that kingdom, give me
      a shout and let me know your experience here so far!

      --jw

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 11/12/2006 1:10:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > drunken-savage@... writes:
      >
      > <<My question is, as far as authenticity goes? If I were to say
      that
      > my persona was of English decent but wore garb from materials not
      > common to England at the time, would that be "period"? Of course
      as
      > long as the cloth was around at the time. Could my persona have
      been
      > a traveler or kinda like a hermit that just moved around a lot
      from
      > place to place? ..
      >
      > The only garb rule in the SCA is that you have to wear an attempt
      at
      > clothing from before 1600. There is no rule saying that al lof
      your clothes and
      > accessories must be from the same culture and time. By trying to
      keep to one
      > time period, if not one culture, you'd be doing better than many
      folks old and
      > new alike. Items from other cultures WERE usually available in
      very small
      > quantities and very expensive. For instance, someone in England
      might have had
      > silk clothing pretty much any time after the first Crusade, but
      they would
      > have paid through the nose for it. Same with Egyptian cotton.
      >
      > I myself am far more authenticity minded than the average
      Scadian. For me,
      > it's NOT an attempt at medieval clothing if you have knowingly
      combined
      > things that were highly unlikely to be combined - for instance, a
      13th century
      > Japanese sword with 13th century English clothes - there was no
      contact between
      > the two cultures in the 13th century and the chances of a
      Japanese sword