Re: [SCA Newcomers] Howdy from the new guy...

  • schnauzer2@cox.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
      ---- johnwylekin <johnwylekin@...> wrote:
      > In researching my ancestry (in the last two years, history has
      > suddenly come alive to me) I came across SCA websites and am now
      > seriously considering joining.

      Fabulous, I just joined in June and have been having a great time.

      > I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
      > answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to be
      > razzed about my first costume
      It is your best approximation of midieval garb, if there are any "authenticity police" I haven't met any yet.
      and is the "what medieval times should
      > have been" statement really true,
      From what I have seen, yes it is true.
      or am I going to have to defend
      > not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?
      I haven't seewn a single stich of my garb, and I have never had someone coment other than to say it looks good and very period.
      Wlecome and have a good time,
      Sian verch Gwilim ap Lewelin

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
        >I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
        >answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to be
        >razzed about my first costume and is the "what medieval times should
        >have been" statement really true, or am I going to have to defend
        >not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?

        Lots of people don't handmake everything they own/wear. I'm a bit nuts and don't get along with sewing machines, so I hand sew all of my garb, but that's not usually the norm around here. Most members of the SCA that I've run across are on a budget of some kind or another, so we get good at fudging less expensive alternatives to look like it's period. Not to mention the fact that not everyone is good at everything. Lots of people have one or two things that they do very well. You will hear many people offering to barter for goods and services. Even if you can't do anything SCA yet, people always need babysitters, cooks, help carry stuff/setting up camp, etc. If you need clothes/armor and can't/don't want to do it yourself, you can always barter for it. There are also many SCA merchants from whom you can buy many things.

        >I know I'll get a host of answers, but I will probably join anyway.
        >I want to learn a lot of what SCA offers to teach, as I believe it
        >builds character (school of hard knocks, sometimes literally).. . I
        >was just wondering if anyone here can give me some informal tidbits
        >based on their experience.

        Basic newbie advice: Try everything once, unless your at Pennsic and someone hands you a cup of something with "surprise" in the name...you may not want to try that. :)

        Don't make any major decisions at first, like registering a name or joining a household, etc. Get your feet wet and learn about things before you make said decisions.

        Most importantly, HAVE FUN! Remember, this is a game and your in it to have fun (and learn stuff too).

        >I have more general than specific info on my family's background,
        >which is where I'd like to root my own persona (My last name is
        >Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an older version
        >of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and the normal
        >spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around at that
        >time as well).

        I know the resident heralds could help you more with this, but first, do you have any historical documentation showing the use of that spelling "Wylekin"? Something like a birth/death record or something? It would need to show a year and a country that the spelling was used in. (If you don't, the heralds may be able to help you. The next step would be to look at names from that place and time that were documented and see if "John" was used at the time. There may have been some alternative spelling for "John" during the time "Wylekin" was used. Names in the SCA are documented as a first and last name from the same country within a few hundred year span (the less time gap the better). If John wasn't used, I believe you could still register that spelling. I think the rule is that you can register either your mundane first or last name without documenting it.

        Good luck! If you have anymore questions, feel free to let us know.
        ~Isabel

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      • johnwylekin
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
          Thank you Isabel, this was very, very helpful...

          In regard to:

[...]

          This is just initial findings, so forgive me for getting excited: As
          far as period for my character, It looks like I am settling on the
          1200's, and "John" was certainly prevalent (as in THE John who was
          crowned alongside "Isabella" in 1200... how's that for coinkydink?),
          and according to wilkwood.com (which has various and sundry info on
          Wilkins, Wilkinson, Wilkin, and the hundreds of variants) a Ralph
          Wylekin was living in County Norfolk during the reigns of Henry III
          and Edward I (I will need to inquire about where wilkwood.com got
          this info, or find online/any resource with registers or Pipe Rolls
          to confirm this).

          If I am correct, this puts "John" and "Wylekin" (with those exact
          spellings) in England within about half a century of each other,
          minimum and worst case scenario, which is good (and I'm positive
          that a more thorough scouring of records would narrow that gap). In
          all honesty, I'm not trying to shoehorn a character into a name; the
          happy coincidence is that I was looking at 1200-ish for timeframe
          and predominantly an Englishman as the foundation for my persona. I
          do admit that being able to carry the crest/c.o.a/blazon for my
          family in some form or another is also a very exciting prospect for
          me, if my future in the SCA allows for such a thing (don't want to
          take anything for granted); it's also motivation for developing a
          good reputation with my character, within and withou SCA.

          Thanks again, Isabel!

          --jw
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
            In a message dated 11/14/2006 9:42:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            johnwylekin@... writes:

            <<I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
            answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to be
            razzed about my first costume and is the "what medieval times should
            have been" statement really true, or am I going to have to defend
            not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?>>

            The official SCA rule regarding costumes is that they have to be "an
            attempt" at clothing from before 1600. As long as you aren't showing up in
            massively fantasy stuff, or Klingon armor or something, it's unlikely that anyone
            will say anything about your first garb other than "Good job!"
            Most people in the SCA do not handmake every bit of their garb and armor.
            Many people make their own using modern techniques; many people purchase ready
            made garb and armor. I can't tell you how many times I have been called
            insane by other SCAdians because I DO choose to handsew all my costumes. Doing
            so is a rarity; it's certainly not even close to the norm.

            As far as the "what medieval times should have been" phrase, I think it's an
            unfortunately over-used quote in the sense that many people use it to justify
            doing un-medieval things, such as wearing modern Goretex hunting clothes if
            it's raining at an event because "they should have had Goretex", instead of
            finding out that in medieval times as today, a good set of wool outer clothing
            will keep you comfortably warm and dry.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Claire & The Girls
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2006
              I recently went to an event where one guy was wearing some kind of short tunic over a plain flannel shirt & blue jeans tucked into Frye boots. No one said anything.

              As I am always reminded, the C in SCA means creative.

              Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
              Claire & The Girls
              The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
              http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

            • drew_radtke
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2006
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Claire & The Girls
                <connecticutratterriers@...> wrote:

                > I recently went to an event where one guy was wearing some kind of
                short tunic over a plain flannel shirt & blue jeans tucked into Frye
                boots. No one said anything.

                > As I am always reminded, the C in SCA means creative.

                At my first event, I wore a blue tunic over a plain white shirt, blue
                jeans, and hiking boots. My friends here won't let me live that
                down. :]
              • kuriouskitty32f
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2006
                  My first event, I was lucky. I had traded crash space with someone in
                  return for her sewing skills. The green velvet dress in my pics was
                  what I wore. Also, one of the first SCAdians I met is the head of
                  OttersKeep and she took me under her wing. Not only did she and I go
                  rummaging through her old garb and then went shopping..at AmVets..she
                  is also in the process of making me a few things. I have spent less
                  then $20 on garb and I can't sew a stitch, but I now own enough that I
                  have a choice as what to wear. If someone had told me a year ago that I
                  would actually be wearing velvet I would have laughed at them...now, it
                  is up on my list of must haves...just like shiney things..lol.

                  Edana

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "drew_radtke" <t800rad@...> wrote:

                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Claire & The Girls
                  > <connecticutratterriers@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I recently went to an event where one guy was wearing some kind of
                  > short tunic over a plain flannel shirt & blue jeans tucked into Frye
                  > boots. No one said anything.
                  > >
                  > > As I am always reminded, the C in SCA means creative.
                  >

                  > At my first event, I wore a blue tunic over a plain white shirt, blue
                  > jeans, and hiking boots. My friends here won't let me live that
                  > down. :]

                • johnwylekin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2006
                    "As far as the 'what medieval times should have been' phrase, I
                    think it's an unfortunately over-used quote in the sense that many
                    people use it to justify doing un-medieval things, such as wearing
                    modern Goretex hunting clothes if it's raining at an event
                    because "they should have had Goretex", instead of finding out that
                    in medieval times as today, a good set of wool outer clothing will
                    keep you comfortably warm and dry."

                    I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent (in support of what you are
                    saying) here, so forgive the longishness of this post:

                    I definitely hear you on that one, and I've never even been to an
                    event or meeting. I guess determining how wide the gulf should be
                    before you jump to modern conveniences is relative, but I can see
                    how a wonderful costume/presentation can get sidetracked by one
                    glaring modernity or a light-year's jump in terms of historical
                    probability.

                    I'm also seeing more and more the benefit of education in SCA (based
                    on posts and testimonies); It's hard to know how a woolen-clad
                    hunter carries themselves unless you go out and hunt wearing (drum
                    roll) wool! For me, I love to write, so I have to tell myself that
                    as the modernities and conveniences increase, my ability to write a
                    first-person novel in that period --no matter what character--
                    decreases significantly.

                    I'm positve nobody in this day and age can re-enact 100%
                    accurateley. If they did, people would be falling over dead from
                    not receiving their insulin shots, an untreated burst appendix, an
                    allergy to certain materials, bankrupt from in the pursuit of
                    purchasing a full line of period items, and the list goes on, ad
                    infinitum. I think the idea of trying to get close attracts me,
                    though. I'm even thinking of learning a medieval instrument (simple
                    transversian flute, or dulcimer) so that when I'm jonesing for my
                    boombox, I have a creative alternative, and music becomes even more
                    valauble to me in the SCA persona and the real world.

                    Enough rambling for now!

                    --jw
                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 15, 2006
                      On Wednesday 15 November 2006 06:31, drew_radtke wrote:
                      > At my first event, I wore a blue tunic over a plain white shirt, blue
                      > jeans, and hiking boots. My friends here won't let me live that
                      > down. :]

                      But don't feel bad about that. "First event" is treated by most SCAdians as
                      a special case in the garb rules, and even the merest attempt is acceptable.
                      There's an underlying presumption that your first event is when you "check
                      us out" and decide whether or not you're interested in playing this game.
                      If not, why invest time or money to make or buy garb? Borrow what you can,
                      enough that you don't look or feel out of place, come and have a good time,
                      and then if you like what we do, worry about getting real garb for your
                      next event in a few weeks. :-)

                      As Brangwayna points out, authenticity is a journey and not a destination.
                      The first event is just the first step on a long hike, and nobody expects
                      your pedometer to have a lot of miles logged at that point.

                      As for the hiking boots, I *still* wear them with my armour and for certain
                      situations in which I am more concerned about durability than authenticity
                      (for example, if I'm doing heavy drudge work at a muddy camping event). I own
                      a pair of extremely authentic, custom-made saddle boots. Those cost me
                      over $300, and I am not about to ruin them by wearing them in deep mud or
                      in armour (the greaves of my armour would rub against the high tops of
                      the boots and rapidly wear them out; my modern boots are low-top -- plus
                      they have better ankle support to prevent injury).

                      So even if you have the authentic gear, you still can be circumspect about
                      when you bring out your best (Court and other formal occasions) and when you
                      make a conscious choice to be a bit less authentic in deference to protecting
                      your time and money investment in the "good stuff". The point is to make it
                      a conscious choice, one way or the other, and not an accident born of
                      apathy or ignorance. When you're at your first event, it's perfectly fine
                      to make the conscious choice of not investing in fancy garb until you know
                      for sure that you're going to keep playing this game and you know what
                      culture is of greatest interest to you. :-)

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • Claire & The Girls