Howdy from the new guy...

  • johnwylekin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006
      In researching my ancestry (in the last two years, history has
      suddenly come alive to me) I came across SCA websites and am now
      seriously considering joining.

      I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
      answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to be
      razzed about my first costume and is the "what medieval times should
      have been" statement really true, or am I going to have to defend
      not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?

      I know I'll get a host of answers, but I will probably join anyway.
      I want to learn a lot of what SCA offers to teach, as I believe it
      builds character (school of hard knocks, sometimes literally)... I
      was just wondering if anyone here can give me some informal tidbits
      based on their experience.

      I have more general than specific info on my family's background,
      which is where I'd like to root my own persona (My last name is
      Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an older version
      of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and the normal
      spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around at that
      time as well).

      Enough of my rambling, and many thanks in advance for the advice,
      laughs and such...

      --jw
    • johnwylekin

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
          Greeting fellow newbie. To make it short and sweet...I can't sew..no
          one picks on me for anything..and I have a great time.

          Edana

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "johnwylekin" <johnwylekin@...>
          wrote:

          > In researching my ancestry (in the last two years, history has
          > suddenly come alive to me) I came across SCA websites and am now
          > seriously considering joining.
          >
          > I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
          > answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to
          be
          > razzed about my first costume and is the "what medieval times
          should
          > have been" statement really true, or am I going to have to defend
          > not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?
          >
          > I know I'll get a host of answers, but I will probably join
          anyway.
          > I want to learn a lot of what SCA offers to teach, as I believe it
          > builds character (school of hard knocks, sometimes literally)... I
          > was just wondering if anyone here can give me some informal
          tidbits
          > based on their experience.
          >
          > I have more general than specific info on my family's background,
          > which is where I'd like to root my own persona (My last name is
          > Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an older version
          > of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and the normal
          > spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around at that
          > time as well).
          >
          > Enough of my rambling, and many thanks in advance for the advice,
          > laughs and such...
          >
          > --jw

        • Ahavah Ehyeh
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
            Hi, John! I'm fairly new, too, so I don't think I can answer too many
            questions, but I did want to say welcome! For me personally, I'm not too
            concerned about people nit-picking. So far everyone has been welcoming,
            friendly, and excited to teach a newcomer. I look at authenticity as and end
            result, something I hope to aspire to and get better at the more I learn.
            That's just me, though. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in
            general, and so far it's been fun just exploring.

            I hope you enjoy it!

            Many Blessings,
            Amanda
            DONA, Int'l-trained birth doula, Medicine Reiki Master
            http://ahavah-ehyeh.livejournal.com/

            >From: "johnwylekin" <johnwylekin@...>
            >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Howdy from the new guy...
            >Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 03:03:41 -0000
            >
            >In researching my ancestry (in the last two years, history has
            >suddenly come alive to me) I came across SCA websites and am now
            >seriously considering joining.
            >
            >I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
            >answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to be
            >razzed about my first costume and is the "what medieval times should
            >have been" statement really true, or am I going to have to defend
            >not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?
            >
            >I know I'll get a host of answers, but I will probably join anyway.
            >I want to learn a lot of what SCA offers to teach, as I believe it
            >builds character (school of hard knocks, sometimes literally)... I
            >was just wondering if anyone here can give me some informal tidbits
            >based on their experience.
            >
            >I have more general than specific info on my family's background,
            >which is where I'd like to root my own persona (My last name is
            >Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an older version
            >of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and the normal
            >spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around at that
            >time as well).
            >
            >Enough of my rambling, and many thanks in advance for the advice,
            >laughs and such...
            >
            >--jw

            Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
            Live Search!
            http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline
          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
              Quoting johnwylekin <johnwylekin@...>:

              > In researching my ancestry (in the last two years, history has
              > suddenly come alive to me) I came across SCA websites and am now
              > seriously considering joining.

              *giggle* Family History is where my name comes from! :-)

              > I've read a lot of the "NEW TO SCA?" weblinks, but none of them
              > answer the question foremost on my mind: How badly am I going to be
              > razzed about my first costume and is the "what medieval times should
              > have been" statement really true, or am I going to have to defend
              > not handmaking every single last stitch of my clothing and armor?

              You shouldn't be at all. You're required to "make an attempt" at
              pre-1700 clothing. I've seen Prom Dresses (you might not wear one of
              those ...) to full dress modern kilts. (the kilt as we know it is a
              Modern Thing ...)

              Guys have it pretty easy. Tunic and pants (I've seen tunics over blue
              jeans, too!). piece of cake.

              Unless you just wanted to do it, the only reason that you might want
              to hand sew your clothing is for entry into Arts and Sciences
              competition.

              Based on your questions, have you done other Historical Reenactment
              before (like the Civil War Guys, for instance)? I know that they have
              *very* strict rules; the SCA ain't like that!

              > I know I'll get a host of answers, but I will probably join anyway.
              > I want to learn a lot of what SCA offers to teach, as I believe it
              > builds character (school of hard knocks, sometimes literally)... I
              > was just wondering if anyone here can give me some informal tidbits
              > based on their experience.

              :-) about what?

              > I have more general than specific info on my family's background,
              > which is where I'd like to root my own persona (My last name is
              > Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an older version
              > of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and the normal
              > spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around at that
              > time as well).

              BTDT! :-) I had an easy time of documenting Jerusha Kilgore.

              jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
                jw wrote:
                > (My last name is Wilkins, and for personal reasons I will be using an
                > older version of my family's name, Wylekin, circa 1100-1250 AD, and
                > the normal spelling of my first name, as "John" was certainly around
                > at that time as well).

                You might want to consult with a herald before you get your heart set
                on this. You can't register your entire mundane name as your Society
                name (though you can use elements from it--just the first, or just the
                last, for instance). Changing "Wilkins" to "Wylekins" might not be
                sufficient, since one is a variant of the other and their sound and
                spelling are similar. (I know "John Wilkins" and "John Wylekins" would
                conflict with one another, if they were being submitted by two
                different individuals. I'm just not sure whether the same standard
                applies where the mundane-name rule is concerned.)

                Later, jw commented:
                > It looks like I am settling on the 1200's, and "John" was certainly
                > prevalent (as in THE John who was crowned alongside "Isabella" in
                > 1200. . .

                Modern writings about people who lived in centuries past typically use
                standardized forms of names, for the convenience of the reader. While
                they can, therefore, at least suggest that some version of a given name
                existed at the mentioned time, they do not document spellings. (A
                modern book might, for instance, name as "John" someone referred to in
                documents from his own time as "Iohannes".)

                One excellent place to start looking for documentation of period
                spellings is the Medieval Names Archive
                <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. You'll want the guide to English
                names from the Conquest to 1300
                <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/eng1066to1300.shtml>.

                You might also ask the Academy of St. Gabriel
                <http://www.s-gabriel.org/gabemail.html> to assist you with documenting
                the name you want and it's 13th-century spellings. They can suggest
                alternatives--such as other names similar but not identical to
                "Wilkins"/"Wylekins"--as well, should you find you need to change an
                element of your name. They're very helpful, and usually pretty quick
                to respond. Letters from them are accepted as documentation by the
                College of Arms.

                Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra