Re: [SCA Newcomers] Early Italian Ren

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2006
      Quoting Chris Catalfamo <chriscat53@...>:

      > I think I may have asked this before and didn;t get an answer, or
      > maybe it was to another list. (menopause moment). What is the best
      > source/pattern for early Italian Ren? I need to make my daughter a
      > ball dress for Pennsic. I have a choice of two silks at home now, a
      > bright blue and a "black cherry" colored taffeta. I need to find
      > coordinating fabirc for an overdress and am not entirely sure what
      > kind of fabric should be used for what part of the gown. Damask
      > outer and solid under?

      Hey, Chris. Them menopause moments will get you every time!

      How early, and *where* Florentine and Venetian can be radically
      different. Bella has some images of relatively early Venetian
      (starting 1490s) here ...
      http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/artgallery1.htm

      Jen Thompson has some cool Florentine paintings here starting 1475 here
      http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/portfolio.html

      Bella's galleries will take you up to 1600; Jens to 1575.

      Patterns? Most of the Big 3 patterns are ok. You'll need to take out
      the darts. Simplicity has one that's almost a dead ringer for a Durer
      engraving.

      The only close-to-authentic pre-made pattern that I know of is one by
      Medieval Miscellanea (Aka Period Patterns) but I don't know how well
      it sews up or how well it's sized. I do know that you should throw
      the directions away.
      http://www.mediaevalmisc.com/pp41-43.htm
      several folks sell them including Pillaged Village, Amazon Dry Goods, etc.
      This place
      http://www.longago.com/medievalwomen.html
      has them too.

      I don't remember now, what your pattern-drafting skills are, but you
      might be interested in these two web pages

      http://ilaria.veltri.tripod.com/italiandress.html
      http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rowen/renbk/rendressbook.html

      I can be tacky (and funny!) and say if you're "only" wanting it for
      *Pennsic* then any of the Big 3 will work, but I know that your
      authenticity standards are a tad higher than "generic Pennsic." (I
      also know many that go to Pennsic with extremely high authenticity
      standards, so don't think I'm slamming Pennsic, folks who go to
      Pennsic, etc. -- yeah, it's a paranoid morning!)

      If you're really into Italian (and I've got some Italian/Spanish links
      for you of dark women in portraits), you might want to join the
      Italian Ren List ...

      jerusha (feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like!)
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      University of Tennessee