Re: Hello All

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
      > Rob,

      Welcome. We are newbies also. We were at St. Eligius. Were you
      wearing garb or mundane clothing?

      Welcome as well, I was in some make shift garb i threw togeather for
      the event. with a black cloak on that i purchased to hide my garb
      lol.

      We spent most of our time by the fencing & fighting area.

      The fightings really cool and i walked by a few times but didnt
      really stop. I kinda like to look from a distance. I was mostly at
      the archery range shooting at the smoking dragon.

      We have chosen to create personas from the Tang Dynasty which is
      proving to be a bit more difficult than we expected but still
      extremely interesting if nothing else. And unfortunately we were
      not in period garb as we have not created anything yet.

      Yeah my Garb was a basic under tunic with a plain sleaveless over
      tunic. Since i have nothing really going with my persona yet i
      guessed it would work. I'm leaning towards to vikings due to the
      archery thing but still very undecided.

      We look forward to seeing you at future events.

      As do I =)

      Thank You
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
        "I am pretty new to the SCA but have been shooting FITA (like the
        olympics) for 8 months. My coach says I shouldn't do both FITA and
        SCA cause they are so different and it will distract me from my FITA
        technique.:0( but I had fun while I did it."

        That's really cool that you shoot FITA. What do you use? A modern
        compound bow?

        "I'd really like to hear more about that and about your research."

        As far as my research went, I started with a site I found online
        called, Bow building for the poor or apartment dweller. it was a
        cool site with good information on how to build a longbow out of a
        piece of wood bought from Home Depot =). Then from there I just kept
        searching for sites and ended up ordering the Traditional Boyer's
        Bible Vol.'s 1-3. I had most of the tools I needed just had to pick
        up a few plus the wood. My first bow came out decent I think. Just
        the bottom limb doesn't bend as much as the top one so its not a
        perfect "D" shape and it's a little light on the draw, but for me
        who's never shot before it was great =).

        "Oh and I wanted a persona that involved archery too but was
        advised against picking anything permanent at this point as well."

        Well so far I know the English and Vikings shot bows. There are a
        couple others but cant remember at the moment =/

        "but if we were going to be 100% accurate most of us would be pesant
        class and girls wouldn't get to do anything fun. ;0)."

        LOL I guess That's true huh =) It be a bunch of farmers raising
        chickens =D

        "so I think that if you want a name in a time but can't find any
        proof that there were archers it's still ok to pick that name and
        just pretend there was archery there (did that make any sense?) hope
        to hear from you soon. Pren"

        Made perfect sense. I kind of wanted to make a persona that its from
        ______ but was raised in ______ if that makes any sense =). But
        still trying to figure out where the "blanks" are.

        Thanks good luck and shoot straight =)
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
          Quoth "Rob":
          > I am thinking about the Norse Viking type. I was looking at Celtic

          That's it! It had really been bugging me that I could find
          <Erland> in my sources - turns out I was looking in the wrong
          culture! (English, rather than Norse.) The standard Norse spelling
          of the name is <Erlendr>, and the name occurs twice in the
          Landnamabok (the book of the settling of Iceland). You can find more
          info about Norse names in my articles -

          "Viking Names found in the Landn��mab��k"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/landnamabok.html

          "Viking Bynames found in the Landn��mab��k"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/vikbynames.html

          "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/sg
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/vikbynames.html

          "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/sg-viking.html

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <drunken-savage@...> wrote:
            > >That's really cool that you shoot FITA. What do you use? A modern
            compound bow?

            I shoot a recurve bow. Lots of people in the SCA shoot recurves as well
            but FITA has a sight and weights for balance (gizmos you know) and you
            can't use those in the SCA.

            > >Bow building for the poor or apartment dweller. it was a
            > >cool site with good information on how to build a longbow out of a
            > >piece of wood bought from Home Depot =).

            I am going to check this out today! thanks.
            pren
          • Rob
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
              > I shoot a recurve bow. Lots of people in the SCA shoot recurves as
              well

              LOL I actually meant Recurve i just have memory hicups once in
              awhile =D

              > > >Bow building for the poor or apartment dweller.
              > I am going to check this out today! thanks.
              > pren

              Heres the link not sure if i can post links to other sites on here.
              so my apologizes if i am doing something im not soposed to.

              http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html

              GL and HF
            • Rob
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
                > That's it! It had really been bugging me that I could find
                > <Erland> in my sources - turns out I was looking in the wrong
                > culture! (English, rather than Norse.)

                LOL cool im glad you got it. I hate when things get to me like that
                aswell. you know you know it but cant figure out from where. =)

                The standard Norse spelling
                > of the name is <Erlendr>, and the name occurs twice in the
                > Landnamabok (the book of the settling of Iceland). You can find
                more info about Norse names in my articles -

                Nice, thank you very much for the info. I will go take a look at the
                sites in a few. I appreciate the links.

                Once again TY