Garb

  • Lori Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2006
      Greetings! I too live in fair Trimaris, and am extremely interested in the German garb, and other things as well. If you please, you can contact me at wolfhaven6@... and let me know exactly what you have left, and how to meet up with you to buy these things. Thank you so much. YIS, Elisabet Schone von Auslanderwald

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2006
        I am NOT a garb person.

        I just manage to find and collect SCA odds and ends on the
        internet. Here is one such:

        http://www.elizabethancostume.net/schnittbuch/

        A quote from the webpage.

        "This book has been dated by Ingeborg to c. 1590, although I haven't
        been able to find details on how this date was determined. According
        to Ingeborg, this book was probably used by journeyman tailors as a
        catalog of items they need to know how to make before they can
        become masters of their trade. Because of this, some of the garments
        may be "traditional" and someone old-fashioned for the date of the
        book. The peascods on some of the doublets offer a little help with
        the dating. "

        IT actually has 40 pages of fascimile that you can click on and look
        at.

        I hope this is useful to people who like german garb.
      • Shelley
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          Greetings from Grey Niche!

          We attended our first event this weekend and had a great time! We are now ready for our own garb. There is a gal who is going to teach me how to sew some things, but I was wondering if someone could share some favorite links for purchasing authentic garb online in case I need to buy something before I can make it (so we can do a few days at Gulf Wars)?

          Also, we were told about a type of boot that was amazing - Bohemont, or something like that? Would someone be able to clarify that for me and tell me where to get them?

          Much appreciated...

          Shelley
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
            Two of the best suppliers of authentic clothing that I know of, both of which have websites, are Revival Clothing and Historic Enterprises. The shoe supplier is Boots by Bohemond, and he also has a website. You should be able to find them by googling. I also like Master Dru Shoemaker's work; his things can be seen at www.medievalshoes.com .

            Lancaster, PA

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
              Welcome to the SCA!
              I'm glad you enjoyed your first event.

              There are lots of resources on line, for instance, if you go to the website
              associated with this Yahoo list, under Links (in the blue box on the left,)
              there is a folder called Shopping.
              I believe, without having looked at it myself, that this folder contains
              links to various merchants who have been recommended by members of this
              group.

              I suggest that you inquire within your local shire/canton - there are
              usually people who make garb and will help you make your own, or make some
              to order for you.
              That way, you can acquire your preference in style, material, periodicity,
              etc.
              Also, that will allow you to get to know some of your local group's members
              a bit better.

              If you were looking for recommomendations to local merchants, you'll need to
              include your locale.

              Happy hunting!

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
                Thank you, everyone!

              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
                  Shelley,
                   in addition to the recommendations by Lady Brangwayna, both of whom have given me very good service in the past, I'd also suggest you take a look at the excellent online catalogue of Medieval Design of Italy. Here is the URL for their English Language Home Page.
                  <http://www.medievaldesign.com/english.asp>
                  They have now registered with PayPal, which makes paying them easier than it has been in the past.
                  Medieval Design also take great pains to build a high degree of authentic style, and cut and finish into their commercially-offered clothing, and accessories.
                  I'd rate them up there alongside Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing for attention to authentic detail, and terrific customer service.

                  Your in Service,
                   Lord Matthewe Baker, Hospitaller,
                  Wesrt Dragonshire, Drachenwald