NEWBIE HERE SEEKING GARB ADVICE

  • connecticutratterriers
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
      Good Day All,

      I think my original message has become lost in cyber space so I am
      sending it again.

      Thank you for letting me join.

      I am seeking patterns for Chinese garb. I am also trying to find out
      what is considered "period" material. I am having great difficulty
      finding websites & information pertaining to this culture.

      Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

      Thank you in advance.

      Oi Goug Gee Yone
    • Carolyn
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
        I've got a lot of costuming links, but not many for Asian cultures,
        I'm afraid. There are some books listed on this bibliography page
        that seem as if they might be helpful, though. Perhaps your local
        library can find some of them for you through interlibrary loan? Good
        luck!

        http://dept.kent.edu/museum/project/Erin/biblio.htm

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "connecticutratterriers"
        <connecticutratterriers@...> wrote:

        > Good Day All,
        >
        > I think my original message has become lost in cyber space so I am
        > sending it again.
        >
        > Thank you for letting me join.
        >
        > I am seeking patterns for Chinese garb. I am also trying to find
        out
        > what is considered "period" material. I am having great difficulty
        > finding websites & information pertaining to this culture.
        >
        > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you in advance.
        >

        > Oi Goug Gee Yone

      • Carolyn
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
          I posted too soon! A bit more searching lead me to hanfu, the
          traditional clothing of the Han, the predominant ethnic group in
          China. Apparently what most of us think of as "Chinese clothing" is a
          style brought to China when the Manchu came into power there in the
          mid-17th c. (Qing Dynasty) and outlawed the wearing of traditional
          Han styles. (Bet that sounds familiar to my fellow Celts here, too!)
          There's a small but pretty vocal number of younger Chinese who are
          trying to bring hanfu back as China's traditional clothing style.

          The main item of hanfu style appears to be the shenyi, which looks to
          be very similar to a Japanese kimono. Not surprising, given the trade
          between the two nations throughout history....

          Anyway, here's a list of sites I found that may be of help:

          The Real Chinese Costume --- Hanfu
          http://www.hanfu.org/
          Has a forum that has a few potentially helpful threads

          Hanfu: The Real Chinese Attire
          http://hanfu.atspace.com/

          Han Chinese clothing
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese_clothing

          History of Ancient Traditional Chinese Clothing
          http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/01780/clothing/history.htm
          Looks like an excellent resource since it gives info about specific
          dynasties

          Costume in the Han Dynasty
          http://chinese.chnedu.com/web/aboutchina/culture/chinesedress/news01.h
          tm
          Page in Chinese and English

          Also from previous site:
          Costume in the Tang Dynasty
          http://chinese.chnedu.com/web/aboutchina/culture/chinesedress/news02.h
          tm

          Making Han Clothes - ONE and ONLY Supplier in USA
          http://www.trocadero.com/honggallery/items/429479/item429479store.html
          Despite the title, not a pattern source! This is the site for a
          seller of hanfu clothes. I don't know if the claim of being the only
          U.S. supplier is true, and the clothes are pricey, to me, "just" for
          garb. But there are lots of pics for inspiration!

          Hanfu Forum
          http://c.1asphost.com/hanfu/forum/default.asp

          Chinese Clothing
          http://www.hxtimes.com/Chinese%20Clothing.htm
          Site has quite a bit of info about Han culture in general; the Han
          Dynasty's awfully early for the SCA, but it doesn't seem as if the
          styles changed much over the centuries

          Hanfu, the real ethnical costume of Han nationality
          http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=504184&extra=&page=1
          A thread on China Daily's board about hanfu, including how one woman
          made her own

          The Meaning of Colors in Ancient China
          http://newyeargala.ntdtv.com/2007/en/content/view/39/lang,en

          An eBay seller with hanfu:
          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZxinstar2006
          Has pictures of more hanfu besides the items for sale

          I found no sources for patterns. From what I read on the various
          forums, most folks end up winging it by studying pictures. I suspect
          a kimono pattern would be very close; it seems that mainly only the
          sleeve shape and neckline differ.

          Hope this helps a bit! I might not know a lot off the top of my head,
          but I Google pretty well. LOL
        • Kristine Elliott
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
            On 10/13/06, Carolyn <roisindubh54@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Dynasty's awfully early for the SCA, but it doesn't seem as if the
            > styles changed much over the centuries
            >
            > Hanfu, the real ethnical costume of Han nationality
            > http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=504184&extra=&page=1
            > A thread on China Daily's board about hanfu, including how one woman
            > made her own
            >
            > The Meaning of Colors in Ancient China
            > http://newyeargala.ntdtv.com/2007/en/content/view/39/lang,en
            >
            > An eBay seller with hanfu:
            > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZxinstar2006
            > Has pictures of more hanfu besides the items for sale
            >
            > I found no sources for patterns. From what I read on the various
            > forums, most folks end up winging it by studying pictures. I suspect
            > a kimono pattern would be very close; it seems that mainly only the
            > sleeve shape and neckline differ.
            >
            > Hope this helps a bit! I might not know a lot off the top of my head,

            It sounds like a great start!

            Scolastica
            --
            http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

            If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
            teach
            'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz