NEWBIE HERE

  • Claire & The Girls
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
      Good Day All,

      Thank you for letting me join.

      I am seeking patterns for Chinese garb. I am also trying to find out what is considered "period" material. I am having great difficulty finding websites & information pertaining to this culture.

      Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

      Thank you in advance.

      Oi Goug Gee Yone

      Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
      Claire & The Girls
      The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
      http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
        Quoth Claire & The Girls:
        > I am seeking patterns for Chinese garb. I am also trying to find out what
        > is considered "period" material. I am having great difficulty finding websit
        > es & information pertaining to this culture.

        Greetings!

        You should contact Yin Mei Li at yinmeili@...; she has done extensive
        research into Chinese persona information (mostly names, but I know she
        must have done some research into clothes, because she always turns out at
        events impeccably dressed.)

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
          Oi Goug Gee Yone wrote:
          > I am seeking patterns for Chinese garb. I am also trying to find out
          > what is considered "period" material. I am having great difficulty
          > finding websites & information pertaining to this culture.

          Part of the problem might be that "Chinese" isn't the name of a
          culture. Did you want to be Hunan? Manchu? Mongol? Hakka? Language
          isn't the only thing that varies among these groups; the clothing
          appropriate to your persona will depend on which one you represent. If
          "Oi Goug Gee Yone" is your persona name, you probably want to start by
          investigating the culture from which it comes, unless you're either
          willing to change it or indifferent to whether it matches your clothes.

          The Han dominated China for most of recorded history, and the Han
          sub-groups
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgroups_of_the_Han_ethnicity>,
          collectively, still make up over 90% of the Chinese population. The
          Mongols had extensive (if not always congenial) contact with Europe
          over the core SCA millenium, and ruled China when Marco Polo visited
          it. If you want something easy to research, you should probably pick
          one of those. Search for "Hanfu" or "Mongol clothing", and you should
          easily find basic info.

          If you want something a little more unusual, there's demographic
          information on the 55 minority ethnicities recognized by the modern
          Chinese government at <http://www.china.org.cn/e-groups/shaoshu/>.
          Many of those groups are, like the Han, made up of members of more than
          one distinct culture (often referred to as "tribes", whether they're
          actually tribal in organization or not), so you may end up needing to
          narrow things down more after you start learning the details. Some of
          China's modern cultures won't have existed at all before 1600, and
          others will have emerged during the preceding thousand years or so, so
          make sure you look into the history of any group you're considering
          before you set your heart on it.

          It's important to pick a region to "be from", since clothing varies
          with geography within ethnic groups. China is a B-I-G country, and
          travel and communication were a lot less convenient before the 17th
          century than they are now. At various points in its history, it's
          various regions have also stood as independent kingdoms, so regionalism
          is a significant cultural factor. (There's an article about variation
          in modern Miao clothing at
          <http://www.topren.net/travel/culture/miaozu/miaozu.html> that might
          give you some insight.)

          Finally, you'll need to choose a specific period, or at least narrow
          things down to a single dynasty. Things change over the centuries,
          especially when the people in charge change. If you're going to
          portray a "guest at a European court" <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>
          and are at all interested in authenticity, you might want to select a
          timeframe during which the ethnic group that interests you had some
          dealings with the West. And don't forget that "traditional" doesn't
          mean anything. You need to find dated references to distinguish items
          of clothing worn during your chosen century.

          Determining "period material" is something you'll do AFTER you've
          narrowed down your persona. Which fabrics your persona would've used,
          and how, will depend on when and where (s)he lived and which culture
          (s)he belonged to. Favored colors, patterns, and forms of
          embellishment will likewise.

          Good luck, and welcome to the Society!

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Claire & The Girls
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
            Coblaith Mhuimhneach,

            Your feedback & the feedback from others are extremely helpful.

            My SCA name is Cantonese. I had great difficulty finding someone who speaks this dialect.

            It is safe to say that I want to research the Cantonese people.

            As for the dynasty, I am not sure which one yet.

            Tomorrow when I return to work I will open your links & print off the information.

            Again, many thanks for any input.