Re: how to disguise a wheelchair?

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
      Here is a great disguise for a wheelchair.

      Put a wonderful, fun and loving person in the wheelchair. Dress them
      up in garb.

      Have them go all over the event site.

      Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
      direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.

      Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

      I have been to Pennsic, the largest SCA event in the world as far as I
      know. I have been to events with less than 40 people in attendance.
      I have been to a lot in between. Wheelchairs are a dime a dozen at
      Pennsic and very few events that I go to these days are without one.

      Wheelchairs are a fact of life in the modern world and one that simply
      must be. Noone should ever comment rudely about any device that makes
      mobility accessable to those that do not walk in the normally expected
      manner.

      Just remember that as a Not For Profit Organization we too must follow
      the ADA. And more importantly we are a chivalrous society and in good
      manners just will anyway.

      At this past 12th night six lords helped lift a motor driven
      wheelchair up about 6 steps and then again back down those six steps
      soa that a lady could enjoy feast. It was our pleasure to help and
      assist and I imagine that you will find MOST scadians would feel this
      way as well.

      Don't worry about a wheelchair ruining the ambiance. It won't
      happen. Most scadians I know will be very happy to see that someone
      in a wheelchair loves living The Dream just like the rest of us.

      I do not know where you are or what Kingdom you play in. It would be
      my honor to meet you and your little lady at any event.

      Ian the Green
      Province of Tree Girt Sea
      Region of the Midlands
      Kingdom of the Middle

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ralphwmurphy" <ralphwmurphy@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want
      > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good
      way
      > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
      > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
      > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if
      anyone
      > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
      > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a
      pony
      > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

    • Claire & The Girls
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
        Ian the Green,

        You put a lump in my throat & tears in my eyes by your post. You are an abviously wonderful & caring soul.

        I believe that random acts of kindness are more than random.

        Oi Goug Gee Yone

        Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
        Claire & The Girls
        The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
        http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
          On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
          > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
          > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
          >
          > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

          ROFL!

          [HUMOR_MODE]

          Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

          CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
          go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

          LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
          120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

          PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

          ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

          [/HUMOR_MODE]

          (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
          anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
          but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
          punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
          even exists in the SCA.)

          Have fun!

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Carolyn
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
            We've yet to play with the SCA, although I want to badly, because the
            nearest fighter practice is quite some distance, but I've looked into
            this since my husband uses a wheelchair. I found a great section on
            _Stefan's Florilegium_ which includes suggestions for disguising
            wheelchairs:

            http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

            (I've taken the page out of frames for linking.) My husband, who
            loves all things nautical, has considered turning his chair into a
            ship, perhaps a longboat, but I agree that anyone churlish enough to
            complain about a mundane assistive device of any kind is certainly
            not playing with the proper attitude (or civility!) I'd hope that the
            problem wouldn't arise at all. We took my step-daughters, the
            youngest then 8, to Ursalmas back in An Tir a few times, and they
            loved it! I'm sure your daughter would have a great time, too. I'd
            say only bother to "disguise" the chair if it adds to her enjoyment,
            _not_ because you feel you need to do so. If she genuinely likes the
            idea of her chair wearing "garb," too, why not try something like a
            hobby horse with the end of the stick fixed to the foot plate of her
            chair? Wal-Mart has had some nice ones with fairly realistic plush
            heads, similar to these:

            http://www.laureldesigns.co.uk/images/hobbyHorses.jpg

            Our youngest had one that neighed when she squeezed its ear. Some
            even have unicorn horns, and I don't know a little girl who wouldn't
            love to ride a unicorn. Add a yarn tail on the back of the chair and
            maybe a nice "tapestry" draped over the chair itself, and I think
            you'd have a pretty respectable "caparisoned" horse (or unicorn!)

            I had somehow overlooked it before on that page from the Florilegium,
            but there's mention there of a Yahoo Group called medievaldisableds
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievaldisableds/) for SCAdians and
            other Recreationists with disabilities and their kith and kin. From
            the posting numbers on their start page, it doesn't look to be too
            active nowadays, but there might be excellent advice archived there,
            too.
          • Maria
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
              LOL Justin I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just thought it was the funniest thing I've heard when I saw that.

              I'm looking for a Pelican BTW. Are you one?

              In Service to the Dream,
              Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
              Maria Buchanan
              Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
              Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
              281-433-0347
              On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
              > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
              > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
              >
              > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

              ROFL!

              [HUMOR_MODE]

              Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

              CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
              go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

              LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
              120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

              PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

              ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

              [/HUMOR_MODE]

              (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
              anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
              but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
              punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
              even exists in the SCA.)

              Have fun!

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • j davis
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is
                > *that* much of a jerk
                > even exists in the SCA.)
                >
                > Have fun!
                >
                > Justin

                i am sorry to say that you are wrong. we do exist even
                in the sca. but in my defence, i was misquoted,
                misunderstood, and missed my brain cell rejuve. and
                no i won't go into it here. but we all may say
                something to an overly senzitized person and cause a
                problem. but sill, eveyone who replied so far is
                right. don't worry! be happy! enjoy your self and your
                daughter too! we are blessed by our diety to be
                allowed to serve and help one another. john of antioche

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                  On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:54, Maria wrote:
                  > I'm looking for a Pelican BTW.  Are you one?

                  Yes, I am. How can I help you? And should we take the discussion off-list, or
                  is it of general interest?

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • authoressmeow@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2006
                    I know this is late in coming and I never post but here is a personal take.
                    My persona is that of a norse woman aka a viking. I use a walker. I have a
                    spinal injury. People do say things about it but positively. I made a cover for
                    my walker that makes it look like a long boat. My plan for the eventual wheel
                    chair is to make it look like a thrown with a basic cover. This also allows
                    me to hide the basket and my cat (who comes with me to all events) so I have
                    all my pills and medical stuff. This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                    enjoyment. If you have basic sewing skills its easier. If you do not, then get
                    some dollar a yard fabric at walmart and a gluegun. No one said your method
                    of construction has to be period. you could paint slaves carrying her on the
                    fabric too for a variation and some added fun.

                    YIS

                    Kata Hrafndottir
                    Munin Bard of Blaiddwyn

                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                      On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:48, authoressmeow@... wrote:
                      > This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                      > enjoyment.

                      Right answer. :-)

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.