Re: [SCA Newcomers] how to disguise a wheelchair?

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
      Actually I'd say that anyone who says something about the wheelchair is ruining the mood more than the wheelchair itself. That person should be more chivalrous about a person with a disability.

      Personally I wouldn't worry about the wheelchair. Just bring your daughter and let her enjoy herself and you enjoy yourself.

      In Service to the Dream,
      Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
      Maria Buchanan
      Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
      281-433-0347
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
        Here is a great disguise for a wheelchair.

        Put a wonderful, fun and loving person in the wheelchair. Dress them
        up in garb.

        Have them go all over the event site.

        Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
        direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.

        Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

        I have been to Pennsic, the largest SCA event in the world as far as I
        know. I have been to events with less than 40 people in attendance.
        I have been to a lot in between. Wheelchairs are a dime a dozen at
        Pennsic and very few events that I go to these days are without one.

        Wheelchairs are a fact of life in the modern world and one that simply
        must be. Noone should ever comment rudely about any device that makes
        mobility accessable to those that do not walk in the normally expected
        manner.

        Just remember that as a Not For Profit Organization we too must follow
        the ADA. And more importantly we are a chivalrous society and in good
        manners just will anyway.

        At this past 12th night six lords helped lift a motor driven
        wheelchair up about 6 steps and then again back down those six steps
        soa that a lady could enjoy feast. It was our pleasure to help and
        assist and I imagine that you will find MOST scadians would feel this
        way as well.

        Don't worry about a wheelchair ruining the ambiance. It won't
        happen. Most scadians I know will be very happy to see that someone
        in a wheelchair loves living The Dream just like the rest of us.

        I do not know where you are or what Kingdom you play in. It would be
        my honor to meet you and your little lady at any event.

        Ian the Green
        Province of Tree Girt Sea
        Region of the Midlands
        Kingdom of the Middle

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ralphwmurphy" <ralphwmurphy@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want
        > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good
        way
        > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
        > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
        > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if
        anyone
        > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
        > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a
        pony
        > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

      • Claire & The Girls
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
          Ian the Green,

          You put a lump in my throat & tears in my eyes by your post. You are an abviously wonderful & caring soul.

          I believe that random acts of kindness are more than random.

          Oi Goug Gee Yone

          Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
          Claire & The Girls
          The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
          http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
            On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
            > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
            > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
            >
            > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

            ROFL!

            [HUMOR_MODE]

            Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

            CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
            go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

            LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
            120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

            PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

            ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

            [/HUMOR_MODE]

            (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
            anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
            but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
            punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
            even exists in the SCA.)

            Have fun!

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Carolyn
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
              We've yet to play with the SCA, although I want to badly, because the
              nearest fighter practice is quite some distance, but I've looked into
              this since my husband uses a wheelchair. I found a great section on
              _Stefan's Florilegium_ which includes suggestions for disguising
              wheelchairs:

              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

              (I've taken the page out of frames for linking.) My husband, who
              loves all things nautical, has considered turning his chair into a
              ship, perhaps a longboat, but I agree that anyone churlish enough to
              complain about a mundane assistive device of any kind is certainly
              not playing with the proper attitude (or civility!) I'd hope that the
              problem wouldn't arise at all. We took my step-daughters, the
              youngest then 8, to Ursalmas back in An Tir a few times, and they
              loved it! I'm sure your daughter would have a great time, too. I'd
              say only bother to "disguise" the chair if it adds to her enjoyment,
              _not_ because you feel you need to do so. If she genuinely likes the
              idea of her chair wearing "garb," too, why not try something like a
              hobby horse with the end of the stick fixed to the foot plate of her
              chair? Wal-Mart has had some nice ones with fairly realistic plush
              heads, similar to these:

              http://www.laureldesigns.co.uk/images/hobbyHorses.jpg

              Our youngest had one that neighed when she squeezed its ear. Some
              even have unicorn horns, and I don't know a little girl who wouldn't
              love to ride a unicorn. Add a yarn tail on the back of the chair and
              maybe a nice "tapestry" draped over the chair itself, and I think
              you'd have a pretty respectable "caparisoned" horse (or unicorn!)

              I had somehow overlooked it before on that page from the Florilegium,
              but there's mention there of a Yahoo Group called medievaldisableds
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievaldisableds/) for SCAdians and
              other Recreationists with disabilities and their kith and kin. From
              the posting numbers on their start page, it doesn't look to be too
              active nowadays, but there might be excellent advice archived there,
              too.
            • Maria
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                LOL Justin I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just thought it was the funniest thing I've heard when I saw that.

                I'm looking for a Pelican BTW. Are you one?

                In Service to the Dream,
                Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                Maria Buchanan
                Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                281-433-0347
                On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                >
                > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                ROFL!

                [HUMOR_MODE]

                Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                [/HUMOR_MODE]

                (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                even exists in the SCA.)

                Have fun!

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • j davis
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is
                  > *that* much of a jerk
                  > even exists in the SCA.)
                  >
                  > Have fun!
                  >
                  > Justin

                  i am sorry to say that you are wrong. we do exist even
                  in the sca. but in my defence, i was misquoted,
                  misunderstood, and missed my brain cell rejuve. and
                  no i won't go into it here. but we all may say
                  something to an overly senzitized person and cause a
                  problem. but sill, eveyone who replied so far is
                  right. don't worry! be happy! enjoy your self and your
                  daughter too! we are blessed by our diety to be
                  allowed to serve and help one another. john of antioche

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                    On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:54, Maria wrote:
                    > I'm looking for a Pelican BTW.  Are you one?

                    Yes, I am. How can I help you? And should we take the discussion off-list, or
                    is it of general interest?

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  • authoressmeow@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 4, 2006
                      I know this is late in coming and I never post but here is a personal take.
                      My persona is that of a norse woman aka a viking. I use a walker. I have a
                      spinal injury. People do say things about it but positively. I made a cover for
                      my walker that makes it look like a long boat. My plan for the eventual wheel
                      chair is to make it look like a thrown with a basic cover. This also allows
                      me to hide the basket and my cat (who comes with me to all events) so I have
                      all my pills and medical stuff. This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                      enjoyment. If you have basic sewing skills its easier. If you do not, then get
                      some dollar a yard fabric at walmart and a gluegun. No one said your method
                      of construction has to be period. you could paint slaves carrying her on the
                      fabric too for a variation and some added fun.

                      YIS

                      Kata Hrafndottir
                      Munin Bard of Blaiddwyn

                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                        On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:48, authoressmeow@... wrote:
                        > This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                        > enjoyment.

                        Right answer. :-)

                        keys fesswise reversed sable.