Re: [SCA Newcomers] how to disguise a wheelchair?

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
      On Tuesday 10 October 2006 11:58, Megan & Dave wrote:
      > There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
      > In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
      > the good gentle still does or not).

      Yes, he does. :-)

      And I should also mention that one of those die-hard volunteers who has been
      on Pennsic staff year after year after year, and in fact was awarded a Pelican
      peerage for it, happens to be in a wheelchair.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
        Quoth "ralphwmurphy":
        > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
        > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
        > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
        > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
        > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
        > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
        > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
        > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

        A pony is actually the idea I was going to suggest! A woman in
        a group near where I used to live uses a motorized wheel chair,
        which she turns into a pony for events; she has a head covering
        the front of the hand mechanism, and a tail coming off the back,
        and a lovely plaid blanket to serve as a saddle and to cover the
        rest of the chair. You could probably rig up something similar.

        And even if you can't, people won't mind. After all, the rest of
        us go around wearing our glasses at events, even though they're
        pretty glaringly modern. While things like wooden carts, etc.,
        are certainly preferable to very modern looking children's strollers,
        I can't imagine anyone having an issue with a wheelchair.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
          Actually I'd say that anyone who says something about the wheelchair is ruining the mood more than the wheelchair itself. That person should be more chivalrous about a person with a disability.

          Personally I wouldn't worry about the wheelchair. Just bring your daughter and let her enjoy herself and you enjoy yourself.

          In Service to the Dream,
          Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
          Maria Buchanan
          Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
          281-433-0347

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
            Here is a great disguise for a wheelchair.

            Put a wonderful, fun and loving person in the wheelchair. Dress them
            up in garb.

            Have them go all over the event site.

            Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
            direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.

            Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

            I have been to Pennsic, the largest SCA event in the world as far as I
            know. I have been to events with less than 40 people in attendance.
            I have been to a lot in between. Wheelchairs are a dime a dozen at
            Pennsic and very few events that I go to these days are without one.

            Wheelchairs are a fact of life in the modern world and one that simply
            must be. Noone should ever comment rudely about any device that makes
            mobility accessable to those that do not walk in the normally expected
            manner.

            Just remember that as a Not For Profit Organization we too must follow
            the ADA. And more importantly we are a chivalrous society and in good
            manners just will anyway.

            At this past 12th night six lords helped lift a motor driven
            wheelchair up about 6 steps and then again back down those six steps
            soa that a lady could enjoy feast. It was our pleasure to help and
            assist and I imagine that you will find MOST scadians would feel this
            way as well.

            Don't worry about a wheelchair ruining the ambiance. It won't
            happen. Most scadians I know will be very happy to see that someone
            in a wheelchair loves living The Dream just like the rest of us.

            I do not know where you are or what Kingdom you play in. It would be
            my honor to meet you and your little lady at any event.

            Ian the Green
            Province of Tree Girt Sea
            Region of the Midlands
            Kingdom of the Middle

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ralphwmurphy" <ralphwmurphy@...>
            wrote:

            > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want
            > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good
            way
            > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
            > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
            > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if
            anyone
            > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
            > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a
            pony
            > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

          • Claire & The Girls
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
              Ian the Green,

              You put a lump in my throat & tears in my eyes by your post. You are an abviously wonderful & caring soul.

              I believe that random acts of kindness are more than random.

              Oi Goug Gee Yone

              Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
              Claire & The Girls
              The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
              http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                >
                > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                ROFL!

                [HUMOR_MODE]

                Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                [/HUMOR_MODE]

                (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                even exists in the SCA.)

                Have fun!

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • Carolyn
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                  We've yet to play with the SCA, although I want to badly, because the
                  nearest fighter practice is quite some distance, but I've looked into
                  this since my husband uses a wheelchair. I found a great section on
                  _Stefan's Florilegium_ which includes suggestions for disguising
                  wheelchairs:

                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

                  (I've taken the page out of frames for linking.) My husband, who
                  loves all things nautical, has considered turning his chair into a
                  ship, perhaps a longboat, but I agree that anyone churlish enough to
                  complain about a mundane assistive device of any kind is certainly
                  not playing with the proper attitude (or civility!) I'd hope that the
                  problem wouldn't arise at all. We took my step-daughters, the
                  youngest then 8, to Ursalmas back in An Tir a few times, and they
                  loved it! I'm sure your daughter would have a great time, too. I'd
                  say only bother to "disguise" the chair if it adds to her enjoyment,
                  _not_ because you feel you need to do so. If she genuinely likes the
                  idea of her chair wearing "garb," too, why not try something like a
                  hobby horse with the end of the stick fixed to the foot plate of her
                  chair? Wal-Mart has had some nice ones with fairly realistic plush
                  heads, similar to these:

                  http://www.laureldesigns.co.uk/images/hobbyHorses.jpg

                  Our youngest had one that neighed when she squeezed its ear. Some
                  even have unicorn horns, and I don't know a little girl who wouldn't
                  love to ride a unicorn. Add a yarn tail on the back of the chair and
                  maybe a nice "tapestry" draped over the chair itself, and I think
                  you'd have a pretty respectable "caparisoned" horse (or unicorn!)

                  I had somehow overlooked it before on that page from the Florilegium,
                  but there's mention there of a Yahoo Group called medievaldisableds
                  (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievaldisableds/) for SCAdians and
                  other Recreationists with disabilities and their kith and kin. From
                  the posting numbers on their start page, it doesn't look to be too
                  active nowadays, but there might be excellent advice archived there,
                  too.
                • Maria
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                    LOL Justin I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just thought it was the funniest thing I've heard when I saw that.

                    I'm looking for a Pelican BTW. Are you one?

                    In Service to the Dream,
                    Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                    Maria Buchanan
                    Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                    Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                    281-433-0347
                    On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                    > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                    > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                    >
                    > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                    ROFL!

                    [HUMOR_MODE]

                    Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                    CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                    go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                    LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                    120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                    PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                    ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                    [/HUMOR_MODE]

                    (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                    anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                    but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                    punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                    even exists in the SCA.)

                    Have fun!

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  • j davis
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                      Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is
                      > *that* much of a jerk
                      > even exists in the SCA.)
                      >
                      > Have fun!
                      >
                      > Justin

                      i am sorry to say that you are wrong. we do exist even
                      in the sca. but in my defence, i was misquoted,
                      misunderstood, and missed my brain cell rejuve. and
                      no i won't go into it here. but we all may say
                      something to an overly senzitized person and cause a
                      problem. but sill, eveyone who replied so far is
                      right. don't worry! be happy! enjoy your self and your
                      daughter too! we are blessed by our diety to be
                      allowed to serve and help one another. john of antioche

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                        On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:54, Maria wrote:
                        > I'm looking for a Pelican BTW.  Are you one?

                        Yes, I am. How can I help you? And should we take the discussion off-list, or
                        is it of general interest?

                        keys fesswise reversed sable.

                      • authoressmeow@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2006
                          I know this is late in coming and I never post but here is a personal take.
                          My persona is that of a norse woman aka a viking. I use a walker. I have a
                          spinal injury. People do say things about it but positively. I made a cover for
                          my walker that makes it look like a long boat. My plan for the eventual wheel
                          chair is to make it look like a thrown with a basic cover. This also allows
                          me to hide the basket and my cat (who comes with me to all events) so I have
                          all my pills and medical stuff. This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                          enjoyment. If you have basic sewing skills its easier. If you do not, then get
                          some dollar a yard fabric at walmart and a gluegun. No one said your method
                          of construction has to be period. you could paint slaves carrying her on the
                          fabric too for a variation and some added fun.

                          YIS

                          Kata Hrafndottir
                          Munin Bard of Blaiddwyn

                        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                            On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:48, authoressmeow@... wrote:
                            > This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                            > enjoyment.

                            Right answer. :-)

                            keys fesswise reversed sable.