Re: [SCA Newcomers] how to disguise a wheelchair?

  • Megan & Dave
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
      Greetings

      There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
      In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
      the good gentle still does or not). Other then possibly looking into period
      sources for wheel chairs or perhaps covering it with material to semi
      disguise it there is not much that can be done. I think that the most
      important thing is to bring your Daughter and let her enjoy herself
      regardless of the unperiodness of her wheel chair. SCA people are for the
      most part a friendly, kind, and very helpful and forgiving lot. I hope this
      helped

      yours in service
      Lord Sigmund der Schwarze von Wolfhalden

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
        On Saturday 07 October 2006 00:05, ralphwmurphy wrote:
        > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk.  I didn't want to
        > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
        > to disguise it.  Or would a wheelchair be okay?

        Absolutely, the wheelchair is okay, and it will not by any means ruin the mood.

        There are many people who use modern wheelchairs and other mobility aids in
        the SCA, and I've never heard a complaint. We create the *Current* Middle Ages,
        that is, "the Middle Ages as they should have been", as some say. Medically-
        necessary modern items are exempt from garb requirements. Remember that the
        SCA's Governing Documents only require "an attempt" at garb. If your daughter
        is wearing garb on her person, but the wheelchair is "ungarbed" (so to speak),
        she has still made the attempt and is within the bounds of SCA policy.

        There is a vast difference between having a blatantly-visible laptop computer,
        boom box, or other modern luxury item at an event, versus using a medical
        or assistive device. Things like wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, crutches, plaster
        casts on fractures, back or leg braces, neck collars, and so on, are necessary
        to those who use or wear them. The populace at events understands this, and
        we selectively "do not see" the items within the context of the historical
        atmosphere. Eyeglasses are treated the same way by most of us. There are a
        few who choose not to wear eyeglasses because their persona would not have,
        but that is a personal decision and certainly not required by SCA policy.

        You are welcome to use a decorative cover or pad on the wheelchair if you and
        your daughter wish to do so -- but if you do, it should be because you and she
        think it's something fun to make and you *want* to do so. Your daughter is
        absolutely welcome at SCA events, modern-looking wheelchair and all.

        Kind regards,

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Lori Williams

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
            On Tuesday 10 October 2006 11:58, Megan & Dave wrote:
            > There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
            > In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
            > the good gentle still does or not).

            Yes, he does. :-)

            And I should also mention that one of those die-hard volunteers who has been
            on Pennsic staff year after year after year, and in fact was awarded a Pelican
            peerage for it, happens to be in a wheelchair.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
              Quoth "ralphwmurphy":
              > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
              > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
              > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
              > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
              > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
              > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
              > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
              > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

              A pony is actually the idea I was going to suggest! A woman in
              a group near where I used to live uses a motorized wheel chair,
              which she turns into a pony for events; she has a head covering
              the front of the hand mechanism, and a tail coming off the back,
              and a lovely plaid blanket to serve as a saddle and to cover the
              rest of the chair. You could probably rig up something similar.

              And even if you can't, people won't mind. After all, the rest of
              us go around wearing our glasses at events, even though they're
              pretty glaringly modern. While things like wooden carts, etc.,
              are certainly preferable to very modern looking children's strollers,
              I can't imagine anyone having an issue with a wheelchair.

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                Actually I'd say that anyone who says something about the wheelchair is ruining the mood more than the wheelchair itself. That person should be more chivalrous about a person with a disability.

                Personally I wouldn't worry about the wheelchair. Just bring your daughter and let her enjoy herself and you enjoy yourself.

                In Service to the Dream,
                Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                Maria Buchanan
                Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                281-433-0347

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                  Here is a great disguise for a wheelchair.

                  Put a wonderful, fun and loving person in the wheelchair. Dress them
                  up in garb.

                  Have them go all over the event site.

                  Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                  direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.

                  Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                  I have been to Pennsic, the largest SCA event in the world as far as I
                  know. I have been to events with less than 40 people in attendance.
                  I have been to a lot in between. Wheelchairs are a dime a dozen at
                  Pennsic and very few events that I go to these days are without one.

                  Wheelchairs are a fact of life in the modern world and one that simply
                  must be. Noone should ever comment rudely about any device that makes
                  mobility accessable to those that do not walk in the normally expected
                  manner.

                  Just remember that as a Not For Profit Organization we too must follow
                  the ADA. And more importantly we are a chivalrous society and in good
                  manners just will anyway.

                  At this past 12th night six lords helped lift a motor driven
                  wheelchair up about 6 steps and then again back down those six steps
                  soa that a lady could enjoy feast. It was our pleasure to help and
                  assist and I imagine that you will find MOST scadians would feel this
                  way as well.

                  Don't worry about a wheelchair ruining the ambiance. It won't
                  happen. Most scadians I know will be very happy to see that someone
                  in a wheelchair loves living The Dream just like the rest of us.

                  I do not know where you are or what Kingdom you play in. It would be
                  my honor to meet you and your little lady at any event.

                  Ian the Green
                  Province of Tree Girt Sea
                  Region of the Midlands
                  Kingdom of the Middle

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ralphwmurphy" <ralphwmurphy@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want
                  > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good
                  way
                  > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
                  > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
                  > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if
                  anyone
                  > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
                  > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a
                  pony
                  > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

                • Claire & The Girls
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                    Ian the Green,

                    You put a lump in my throat & tears in my eyes by your post. You are an abviously wonderful & caring soul.

                    I believe that random acts of kindness are more than random.

                    Oi Goug Gee Yone

                    Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
                    Claire & The Girls
                    The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
                    http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                      On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                      > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                      > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                      >
                      > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                      ROFL!

                      [HUMOR_MODE]

                      Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                      CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                      go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                      LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                      120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                      PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                      ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                      [/HUMOR_MODE]

                      (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                      anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                      but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                      punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                      even exists in the SCA.)

                      Have fun!

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • Carolyn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                        We've yet to play with the SCA, although I want to badly, because the
                        nearest fighter practice is quite some distance, but I've looked into
                        this since my husband uses a wheelchair. I found a great section on
                        _Stefan's Florilegium_ which includes suggestions for disguising
                        wheelchairs:

                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

                        (I've taken the page out of frames for linking.) My husband, who
                        loves all things nautical, has considered turning his chair into a
                        ship, perhaps a longboat, but I agree that anyone churlish enough to
                        complain about a mundane assistive device of any kind is certainly
                        not playing with the proper attitude (or civility!) I'd hope that the
                        problem wouldn't arise at all. We took my step-daughters, the
                        youngest then 8, to Ursalmas back in An Tir a few times, and they
                        loved it! I'm sure your daughter would have a great time, too. I'd
                        say only bother to "disguise" the chair if it adds to her enjoyment,
                        _not_ because you feel you need to do so. If she genuinely likes the
                        idea of her chair wearing "garb," too, why not try something like a
                        hobby horse with the end of the stick fixed to the foot plate of her
                        chair? Wal-Mart has had some nice ones with fairly realistic plush
                        heads, similar to these:

                        http://www.laureldesigns.co.uk/images/hobbyHorses.jpg

                        Our youngest had one that neighed when she squeezed its ear. Some
                        even have unicorn horns, and I don't know a little girl who wouldn't
                        love to ride a unicorn. Add a yarn tail on the back of the chair and
                        maybe a nice "tapestry" draped over the chair itself, and I think
                        you'd have a pretty respectable "caparisoned" horse (or unicorn!)

                        I had somehow overlooked it before on that page from the Florilegium,
                        but there's mention there of a Yahoo Group called medievaldisableds
                        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievaldisableds/) for SCAdians and
                        other Recreationists with disabilities and their kith and kin. From
                        the posting numbers on their start page, it doesn't look to be too
                        active nowadays, but there might be excellent advice archived there,
                        too.
                      • Maria
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                          LOL Justin I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just thought it was the funniest thing I've heard when I saw that.

                          I'm looking for a Pelican BTW. Are you one?

                          In Service to the Dream,
                          Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                          Maria Buchanan
                          Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                          Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                          281-433-0347
                          On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                          > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                          > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                          >
                          > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                          ROFL!

                          [HUMOR_MODE]

                          Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                          CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                          go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                          LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                          120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                          PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                          ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                          [/HUMOR_MODE]

                          (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                          anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                          but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                          punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                          even exists in the SCA.)

                          Have fun!

                          keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        • j davis
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                            Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is
                            > *that* much of a jerk
                            > even exists in the SCA.)
                            >
                            > Have fun!
                            >
                            > Justin

                            i am sorry to say that you are wrong. we do exist even
                            in the sca. but in my defence, i was misquoted,
                            misunderstood, and missed my brain cell rejuve. and
                            no i won't go into it here. but we all may say
                            something to an overly senzitized person and cause a
                            problem. but sill, eveyone who replied so far is
                            right. don't worry! be happy! enjoy your self and your
                            daughter too! we are blessed by our diety to be
                            allowed to serve and help one another. john of antioche

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                              On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:54, Maria wrote:
                              > I'm looking for a Pelican BTW.  Are you one?

                              Yes, I am. How can I help you? And should we take the discussion off-list, or
                              is it of general interest?

                              keys fesswise reversed sable.

                            • authoressmeow@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 4, 2006
                                I know this is late in coming and I never post but here is a personal take.
                                My persona is that of a norse woman aka a viking. I use a walker. I have a
                                spinal injury. People do say things about it but positively. I made a cover for
                                my walker that makes it look like a long boat. My plan for the eventual wheel
                                chair is to make it look like a thrown with a basic cover. This also allows
                                me to hide the basket and my cat (who comes with me to all events) so I have
                                all my pills and medical stuff. This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                                enjoyment. If you have basic sewing skills its easier. If you do not, then get
                                some dollar a yard fabric at walmart and a gluegun. No one said your method
                                of construction has to be period. you could paint slaves carrying her on the
                                fabric too for a variation and some added fun.

                                YIS

                                Kata Hrafndottir
                                Munin Bard of Blaiddwyn

                              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                                  On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:48, authoressmeow@... wrote:
                                  > This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                                  > enjoyment.

                                  Right answer. :-)

                                  keys fesswise reversed sable.