Re: [SCA Newcomers] how to disguise a wheelchair?

  • Traci Felts
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
      I have a son with CP too. I don't try to hide his wheelchair, but I do
      "cover" it with something. I approach it as, making it blend in a bit
      more but it's still a wheelchair.

      I found some cheep "welcome mat" type rugs at the dollar store, and sewed
      them together to make a pocket, and I slip that over his legs to keep him
      warm at events (I live in a cold area) and then I slip another "pocket" of
      rugs over the back/handled area of the chair (if you can picture it my son's
      chair has a bar that goes between the 2 handle things on a normal
      wheelchair) I don't cover the wheels or try it hide the feeding tube
      equipment.

      That's just my approach. None makes me take my glasses off, or makes someone
      else take off their braces or hearing aid. I think most people will be able
      to "overlook" a wheelchair and not think it's out of place.

      Teresa

      On 10/6/06, ralphwmurphy <ralphwmurphy@...> wrote:

      > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
      > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
      > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
      > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
      > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
      > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
      > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
      > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
        Quoting ralphwmurphy <ralphwmurphy@...>:

        > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
        > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
        > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
        > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
        > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
        > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
        > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
        > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

        Bring her and the chair and come on and have fun! I know a lady who
        has a cart (pulled by one or more young men) at Gulf War, but don't
        worry about it!

        http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Images/1m04-07.JPG

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Megan & Dave
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
          Greetings

          There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
          In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
          the good gentle still does or not). Other then possibly looking into period
          sources for wheel chairs or perhaps covering it with material to semi
          disguise it there is not much that can be done. I think that the most
          important thing is to bring your Daughter and let her enjoy herself
          regardless of the unperiodness of her wheel chair. SCA people are for the
          most part a friendly, kind, and very helpful and forgiving lot. I hope this
          helped

          yours in service
          Lord Sigmund der Schwarze von Wolfhalden

          >I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
          > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
          > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
          > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
          > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
          > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
          > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
          > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
            On Saturday 07 October 2006 00:05, ralphwmurphy wrote:
            > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk.  I didn't want to
            > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
            > to disguise it.  Or would a wheelchair be okay?

            Absolutely, the wheelchair is okay, and it will not by any means ruin the mood.

            There are many people who use modern wheelchairs and other mobility aids in
            the SCA, and I've never heard a complaint. We create the *Current* Middle Ages,
            that is, "the Middle Ages as they should have been", as some say. Medically-
            necessary modern items are exempt from garb requirements. Remember that the
            SCA's Governing Documents only require "an attempt" at garb. If your daughter
            is wearing garb on her person, but the wheelchair is "ungarbed" (so to speak),
            she has still made the attempt and is within the bounds of SCA policy.

            There is a vast difference between having a blatantly-visible laptop computer,
            boom box, or other modern luxury item at an event, versus using a medical
            or assistive device. Things like wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, crutches, plaster
            casts on fractures, back or leg braces, neck collars, and so on, are necessary
            to those who use or wear them. The populace at events understands this, and
            we selectively "do not see" the items within the context of the historical
            atmosphere. Eyeglasses are treated the same way by most of us. There are a
            few who choose not to wear eyeglasses because their persona would not have,
            but that is a personal decision and certainly not required by SCA policy.

            You are welcome to use a decorative cover or pad on the wheelchair if you and
            your daughter wish to do so -- but if you do, it should be because you and she
            think it's something fun to make and you *want* to do so. Your daughter is
            absolutely welcome at SCA events, modern-looking wheelchair and all.

            Kind regards,

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Lori Williams

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                On Tuesday 10 October 2006 11:58, Megan & Dave wrote:
                > There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
                > In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
                > the good gentle still does or not).

                Yes, he does. :-)

                And I should also mention that one of those die-hard volunteers who has been
                on Pennsic staff year after year after year, and in fact was awarded a Pelican
                peerage for it, happens to be in a wheelchair.

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • Sara L Uckelman
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                  Quoth "ralphwmurphy":
                  > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
                  > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
                  > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
                  > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
                  > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
                  > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
                  > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
                  > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

                  A pony is actually the idea I was going to suggest! A woman in
                  a group near where I used to live uses a motorized wheel chair,
                  which she turns into a pony for events; she has a head covering
                  the front of the hand mechanism, and a tail coming off the back,
                  and a lovely plaid blanket to serve as a saddle and to cover the
                  rest of the chair. You could probably rig up something similar.

                  And even if you can't, people won't mind. After all, the rest of
                  us go around wearing our glasses at events, even though they're
                  pretty glaringly modern. While things like wooden carts, etc.,
                  are certainly preferable to very modern looking children's strollers,
                  I can't imagine anyone having an issue with a wheelchair.

                  -Aryanhwy

                  --
                  vita sine literis mors est
                  http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                    Actually I'd say that anyone who says something about the wheelchair is ruining the mood more than the wheelchair itself. That person should be more chivalrous about a person with a disability.

                    Personally I wouldn't worry about the wheelchair. Just bring your daughter and let her enjoy herself and you enjoy yourself.

                    In Service to the Dream,
                    Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                    Maria Buchanan
                    Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                    281-433-0347

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                      Here is a great disguise for a wheelchair.

                      Put a wonderful, fun and loving person in the wheelchair. Dress them
                      up in garb.

                      Have them go all over the event site.

                      Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                      direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.

                      Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                      I have been to Pennsic, the largest SCA event in the world as far as I
                      know. I have been to events with less than 40 people in attendance.
                      I have been to a lot in between. Wheelchairs are a dime a dozen at
                      Pennsic and very few events that I go to these days are without one.

                      Wheelchairs are a fact of life in the modern world and one that simply
                      must be. Noone should ever comment rudely about any device that makes
                      mobility accessable to those that do not walk in the normally expected
                      manner.

                      Just remember that as a Not For Profit Organization we too must follow
                      the ADA. And more importantly we are a chivalrous society and in good
                      manners just will anyway.

                      At this past 12th night six lords helped lift a motor driven
                      wheelchair up about 6 steps and then again back down those six steps
                      soa that a lady could enjoy feast. It was our pleasure to help and
                      assist and I imagine that you will find MOST scadians would feel this
                      way as well.

                      Don't worry about a wheelchair ruining the ambiance. It won't
                      happen. Most scadians I know will be very happy to see that someone
                      in a wheelchair loves living The Dream just like the rest of us.

                      I do not know where you are or what Kingdom you play in. It would be
                      my honor to meet you and your little lady at any event.

                      Ian the Green
                      Province of Tree Girt Sea
                      Region of the Midlands
                      Kingdom of the Middle

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ralphwmurphy" <ralphwmurphy@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want
                      > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good
                      way
                      > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
                      > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
                      > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if
                      anyone
                      > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
                      > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a
                      pony
                      > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

                    • Claire & The Girls
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                        Ian the Green,

                        You put a lump in my throat & tears in my eyes by your post. You are an abviously wonderful & caring soul.

                        I believe that random acts of kindness are more than random.

                        Oi Goug Gee Yone

                        Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
                        Claire & The Girls
                        The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
                        http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

                      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                          On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                          > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                          > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                          >
                          > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                          ROFL!

                          [HUMOR_MODE]

                          Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                          CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                          go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                          LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                          120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                          PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                          ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                          [/HUMOR_MODE]

                          (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                          anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                          but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                          punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                          even exists in the SCA.)

                          Have fun!

                          keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        • Carolyn
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                            We've yet to play with the SCA, although I want to badly, because the
                            nearest fighter practice is quite some distance, but I've looked into
                            this since my husband uses a wheelchair. I found a great section on
                            _Stefan's Florilegium_ which includes suggestions for disguising
                            wheelchairs:

                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

                            (I've taken the page out of frames for linking.) My husband, who
                            loves all things nautical, has considered turning his chair into a
                            ship, perhaps a longboat, but I agree that anyone churlish enough to
                            complain about a mundane assistive device of any kind is certainly
                            not playing with the proper attitude (or civility!) I'd hope that the
                            problem wouldn't arise at all. We took my step-daughters, the
                            youngest then 8, to Ursalmas back in An Tir a few times, and they
                            loved it! I'm sure your daughter would have a great time, too. I'd
                            say only bother to "disguise" the chair if it adds to her enjoyment,
                            _not_ because you feel you need to do so. If she genuinely likes the
                            idea of her chair wearing "garb," too, why not try something like a
                            hobby horse with the end of the stick fixed to the foot plate of her
                            chair? Wal-Mart has had some nice ones with fairly realistic plush
                            heads, similar to these:

                            http://www.laureldesigns.co.uk/images/hobbyHorses.jpg

                            Our youngest had one that neighed when she squeezed its ear. Some
                            even have unicorn horns, and I don't know a little girl who wouldn't
                            love to ride a unicorn. Add a yarn tail on the back of the chair and
                            maybe a nice "tapestry" draped over the chair itself, and I think
                            you'd have a pretty respectable "caparisoned" horse (or unicorn!)

                            I had somehow overlooked it before on that page from the Florilegium,
                            but there's mention there of a Yahoo Group called medievaldisableds
                            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievaldisableds/) for SCAdians and
                            other Recreationists with disabilities and their kith and kin. From
                            the posting numbers on their start page, it doesn't look to be too
                            active nowadays, but there might be excellent advice archived there,
                            too.
                          • Maria
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                              LOL Justin I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just thought it was the funniest thing I've heard when I saw that.

                              I'm looking for a Pelican BTW. Are you one?

                              In Service to the Dream,
                              Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                              Maria Buchanan
                              Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                              Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                              281-433-0347
                              On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                              > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                              > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                              >
                              > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                              ROFL!

                              [HUMOR_MODE]

                              Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                              CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                              go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                              LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                              120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                              PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                              ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                              [/HUMOR_MODE]

                              (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                              anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                              but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                              punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                              even exists in the SCA.)

                              Have fun!

                              keys fesswise reversed sable.

                            • j davis
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                                Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is
                                > *that* much of a jerk
                                > even exists in the SCA.)
                                >
                                > Have fun!
                                >
                                > Justin

                                i am sorry to say that you are wrong. we do exist even
                                in the sca. but in my defence, i was misquoted,
                                misunderstood, and missed my brain cell rejuve. and
                                no i won't go into it here. but we all may say
                                something to an overly senzitized person and cause a
                                problem. but sill, eveyone who replied so far is
                                right. don't worry! be happy! enjoy your self and your
                                daughter too! we are blessed by our diety to be
                                allowed to serve and help one another. john of antioche

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                                  On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:54, Maria wrote:
                                  > I'm looking for a Pelican BTW.  Are you one?

                                  Yes, I am. How can I help you? And should we take the discussion off-list, or
                                  is it of general interest?

                                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                                • authoressmeow@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 4, 2006
                                    I know this is late in coming and I never post but here is a personal take.
                                    My persona is that of a norse woman aka a viking. I use a walker. I have a
                                    spinal injury. People do say things about it but positively. I made a cover for
                                    my walker that makes it look like a long boat. My plan for the eventual wheel
                                    chair is to make it look like a thrown with a basic cover. This also allows
                                    me to hide the basket and my cat (who comes with me to all events) so I have
                                    all my pills and medical stuff. This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                                    enjoyment. If you have basic sewing skills its easier. If you do not, then get
                                    some dollar a yard fabric at walmart and a gluegun. No one said your method
                                    of construction has to be period. you could paint slaves carrying her on the
                                    fabric too for a variation and some added fun.

                                    YIS

                                    Kata Hrafndottir
                                    Munin Bard of Blaiddwyn

                                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                                      On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:48, authoressmeow@... wrote:
                                      > This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                                      > enjoyment.

                                      Right answer. :-)

                                      keys fesswise reversed sable.