how to disguise a wheelchair?

  • ralphwmurphy
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 6, 2006
      I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
      use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
      to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
      love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
      loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
      knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
      bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
      in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.
    • Traci Felts
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
        I have a son with CP too. I don't try to hide his wheelchair, but I do
        "cover" it with something. I approach it as, making it blend in a bit
        more but it's still a wheelchair.

        I found some cheep "welcome mat" type rugs at the dollar store, and sewed
        them together to make a pocket, and I slip that over his legs to keep him
        warm at events (I live in a cold area) and then I slip another "pocket" of
        rugs over the back/handled area of the chair (if you can picture it my son's
        chair has a bar that goes between the 2 handle things on a normal
        wheelchair) I don't cover the wheels or try it hide the feeding tube
        equipment.

        That's just my approach. None makes me take my glasses off, or makes someone
        else take off their braces or hearing aid. I think most people will be able
        to "overlook" a wheelchair and not think it's out of place.

        Teresa

        On 10/6/06, ralphwmurphy <ralphwmurphy@...> wrote:

        > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
        > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
        > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
        > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
        > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
        > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
        > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
        > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
          Quoting ralphwmurphy <ralphwmurphy@...>:

          > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
          > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
          > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
          > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
          > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
          > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
          > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
          > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

          Bring her and the chair and come on and have fun! I know a lady who
          has a cart (pulled by one or more young men) at Gulf War, but don't
          worry about it!

          http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Images/1m04-07.JPG

          jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
        • Megan & Dave
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
            Greetings

            There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
            In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
            the good gentle still does or not). Other then possibly looking into period
            sources for wheel chairs or perhaps covering it with material to semi
            disguise it there is not much that can be done. I think that the most
            important thing is to bring your Daughter and let her enjoy herself
            regardless of the unperiodness of her wheel chair. SCA people are for the
            most part a friendly, kind, and very helpful and forgiving lot. I hope this
            helped

            yours in service
            Lord Sigmund der Schwarze von Wolfhalden

            >I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
            > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
            > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
            > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
            > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
            > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
            > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
            > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
              On Saturday 07 October 2006 00:05, ralphwmurphy wrote:
              > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk.  I didn't want to
              > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
              > to disguise it.  Or would a wheelchair be okay?

              Absolutely, the wheelchair is okay, and it will not by any means ruin the mood.

              There are many people who use modern wheelchairs and other mobility aids in
              the SCA, and I've never heard a complaint. We create the *Current* Middle Ages,
              that is, "the Middle Ages as they should have been", as some say. Medically-
              necessary modern items are exempt from garb requirements. Remember that the
              SCA's Governing Documents only require "an attempt" at garb. If your daughter
              is wearing garb on her person, but the wheelchair is "ungarbed" (so to speak),
              she has still made the attempt and is within the bounds of SCA policy.

              There is a vast difference between having a blatantly-visible laptop computer,
              boom box, or other modern luxury item at an event, versus using a medical
              or assistive device. Things like wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, crutches, plaster
              casts on fractures, back or leg braces, neck collars, and so on, are necessary
              to those who use or wear them. The populace at events understands this, and
              we selectively "do not see" the items within the context of the historical
              atmosphere. Eyeglasses are treated the same way by most of us. There are a
              few who choose not to wear eyeglasses because their persona would not have,
              but that is a personal decision and certainly not required by SCA policy.

              You are welcome to use a decorative cover or pad on the wheelchair if you and
              your daughter wish to do so -- but if you do, it should be because you and she
              think it's something fun to make and you *want* to do so. Your daughter is
              absolutely welcome at SCA events, modern-looking wheelchair and all.

              Kind regards,

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Lori Williams

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                  On Tuesday 10 October 2006 11:58, Megan & Dave wrote:
                  > There are several people within the SCA that have to use wheel chairs.
                  > In fact there is a fighter who used to fight at pennsic in one ( not sure if
                  > the good gentle still does or not).

                  Yes, he does. :-)

                  And I should also mention that one of those die-hard volunteers who has been
                  on Pennsic staff year after year after year, and in fact was awarded a Pelican
                  peerage for it, happens to be in a wheelchair.

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                    Quoth "ralphwmurphy":
                    > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want to
                    > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good way
                    > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
                    > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
                    > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if anyone
                    > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
                    > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a pony
                    > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

                    A pony is actually the idea I was going to suggest! A woman in
                    a group near where I used to live uses a motorized wheel chair,
                    which she turns into a pony for events; she has a head covering
                    the front of the hand mechanism, and a tail coming off the back,
                    and a lovely plaid blanket to serve as a saddle and to cover the
                    rest of the chair. You could probably rig up something similar.

                    And even if you can't, people won't mind. After all, the rest of
                    us go around wearing our glasses at events, even though they're
                    pretty glaringly modern. While things like wooden carts, etc.,
                    are certainly preferable to very modern looking children's strollers,
                    I can't imagine anyone having an issue with a wheelchair.

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                      Actually I'd say that anyone who says something about the wheelchair is ruining the mood more than the wheelchair itself. That person should be more chivalrous about a person with a disability.

                      Personally I wouldn't worry about the wheelchair. Just bring your daughter and let her enjoy herself and you enjoy yourself.

                      In Service to the Dream,
                      Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                      Maria Buchanan
                      Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                      281-433-0347

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                        Here is a great disguise for a wheelchair.

                        Put a wonderful, fun and loving person in the wheelchair. Dress them
                        up in garb.

                        Have them go all over the event site.

                        Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                        direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.

                        Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                        I have been to Pennsic, the largest SCA event in the world as far as I
                        know. I have been to events with less than 40 people in attendance.
                        I have been to a lot in between. Wheelchairs are a dime a dozen at
                        Pennsic and very few events that I go to these days are without one.

                        Wheelchairs are a fact of life in the modern world and one that simply
                        must be. Noone should ever comment rudely about any device that makes
                        mobility accessable to those that do not walk in the normally expected
                        manner.

                        Just remember that as a Not For Profit Organization we too must follow
                        the ADA. And more importantly we are a chivalrous society and in good
                        manners just will anyway.

                        At this past 12th night six lords helped lift a motor driven
                        wheelchair up about 6 steps and then again back down those six steps
                        soa that a lady could enjoy feast. It was our pleasure to help and
                        assist and I imagine that you will find MOST scadians would feel this
                        way as well.

                        Don't worry about a wheelchair ruining the ambiance. It won't
                        happen. Most scadians I know will be very happy to see that someone
                        in a wheelchair loves living The Dream just like the rest of us.

                        I do not know where you are or what Kingdom you play in. It would be
                        my honor to meet you and your little lady at any event.

                        Ian the Green
                        Province of Tree Girt Sea
                        Region of the Midlands
                        Kingdom of the Middle

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ralphwmurphy" <ralphwmurphy@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I have a young daughter that has CP and cannot walk. I didn't want
                        > use her wheelchair and ruin the mood, but I can't think of a good
                        way
                        > to disguise it. Or would a wheelchair be okay? She would otherwise
                        > love to come to an event, she is very bright and loves people, and
                        > loves to wear her garb around the house. I just didn't know if
                        anyone
                        > knew a good disguise for a wheelchair. I thought if I could just
                        > bring her on a pony it would be great, but we have no room for a
                        pony
                        > in our yard right now, and it wouldn't fit in the car anyway.

                      • Claire & The Girls
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                          Ian the Green,

                          You put a lump in my throat & tears in my eyes by your post. You are an abviously wonderful & caring soul.

                          I believe that random acts of kindness are more than random.

                          Oi Goug Gee Yone

                          Have you heard the good news? - There's cookies!
                          Claire & The Girls
                          The View Never Changes If Your Not In The Lead - Terrier Racing
                          http://www.connecticutratterriers.com

                        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                            On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                            > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                            > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                            >
                            > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                            ROFL!

                            [HUMOR_MODE]

                            Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                            CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                            go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                            LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                            120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                            PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                            ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                            [/HUMOR_MODE]

                            (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                            anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                            but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                            punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                            even exists in the SCA.)

                            Have fun!

                            keys fesswise reversed sable.

                          • Carolyn
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                              We've yet to play with the SCA, although I want to badly, because the
                              nearest fighter practice is quite some distance, but I've looked into
                              this since my husband uses a wheelchair. I found a great section on
                              _Stefan's Florilegium_ which includes suggestions for disguising
                              wheelchairs:

                              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

                              (I've taken the page out of frames for linking.) My husband, who
                              loves all things nautical, has considered turning his chair into a
                              ship, perhaps a longboat, but I agree that anyone churlish enough to
                              complain about a mundane assistive device of any kind is certainly
                              not playing with the proper attitude (or civility!) I'd hope that the
                              problem wouldn't arise at all. We took my step-daughters, the
                              youngest then 8, to Ursalmas back in An Tir a few times, and they
                              loved it! I'm sure your daughter would have a great time, too. I'd
                              say only bother to "disguise" the chair if it adds to her enjoyment,
                              _not_ because you feel you need to do so. If she genuinely likes the
                              idea of her chair wearing "garb," too, why not try something like a
                              hobby horse with the end of the stick fixed to the foot plate of her
                              chair? Wal-Mart has had some nice ones with fairly realistic plush
                              heads, similar to these:

                              http://www.laureldesigns.co.uk/images/hobbyHorses.jpg

                              Our youngest had one that neighed when she squeezed its ear. Some
                              even have unicorn horns, and I don't know a little girl who wouldn't
                              love to ride a unicorn. Add a yarn tail on the back of the chair and
                              maybe a nice "tapestry" draped over the chair itself, and I think
                              you'd have a pretty respectable "caparisoned" horse (or unicorn!)

                              I had somehow overlooked it before on that page from the Florilegium,
                              but there's mention there of a Yahoo Group called medievaldisableds
                              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievaldisableds/) for SCAdians and
                              other Recreationists with disabilities and their kith and kin. From
                              the posting numbers on their start page, it doesn't look to be too
                              active nowadays, but there might be excellent advice archived there,
                              too.
                            • Maria
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                                LOL Justin I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just thought it was the funniest thing I've heard when I saw that.

                                I'm looking for a Pelican BTW. Are you one?

                                In Service to the Dream,
                                Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                                Maria Buchanan
                                Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                                Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                                281-433-0347
                                On Wednesday 11 October 2006 02:37, David Roland wrote:
                                > Anyone who is so assenine as to comment rudely about the wheelchair
                                > direct to a member of the chivalry, laurel or pelican.
                                >
                                > Accept their gracious apology upon their return.

                                ROFL!

                                [HUMOR_MODE]

                                Sometimes it can be fun to be a peer or royalty...

                                CHIVALRY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Here, put on this armor and let's
                                go over there onto the list field...we got a score to settle!"

                                LAUREL: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! Sit here, start stitching this
                                120-count embroidery, and don't stop until .... next week!"

                                PELICAN: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! See those dishes over there..."

                                ROYALTY: "You said *what* to a newcomer?! HEADSMAN! I have work for thee!"

                                [/HUMOR_MODE]

                                (Okay, peers other than royalty don't *actually* have the authority to order
                                anyone around, and even royalty can't have someone beheaded,
                                but if someone is that assanine it is still fun to fantasize about their
                                punishment! Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is *that* much of a jerk
                                even exists in the SCA.)

                                Have fun!

                                keys fesswise reversed sable.

                              • j davis
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                                  Seriously, though, I doubt anyone who is
                                  > *that* much of a jerk
                                  > even exists in the SCA.)
                                  >
                                  > Have fun!
                                  >
                                  > Justin

                                  i am sorry to say that you are wrong. we do exist even
                                  in the sca. but in my defence, i was misquoted,
                                  misunderstood, and missed my brain cell rejuve. and
                                  no i won't go into it here. but we all may say
                                  something to an overly senzitized person and cause a
                                  problem. but sill, eveyone who replied so far is
                                  right. don't worry! be happy! enjoy your self and your
                                  daughter too! we are blessed by our diety to be
                                  allowed to serve and help one another. john of antioche

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 11, 2006
                                    On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:54, Maria wrote:
                                    > I'm looking for a Pelican BTW.  Are you one?

                                    Yes, I am. How can I help you? And should we take the discussion off-list, or
                                    is it of general interest?

                                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                                  • authoressmeow@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 4, 2006
                                      I know this is late in coming and I never post but here is a personal take.
                                      My persona is that of a norse woman aka a viking. I use a walker. I have a
                                      spinal injury. People do say things about it but positively. I made a cover for
                                      my walker that makes it look like a long boat. My plan for the eventual wheel
                                      chair is to make it look like a thrown with a basic cover. This also allows
                                      me to hide the basket and my cat (who comes with me to all events) so I have
                                      all my pills and medical stuff. This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                                      enjoyment. If you have basic sewing skills its easier. If you do not, then get
                                      some dollar a yard fabric at walmart and a gluegun. No one said your method
                                      of construction has to be period. you could paint slaves carrying her on the
                                      fabric too for a variation and some added fun.

                                      YIS

                                      Kata Hrafndottir
                                      Munin Bard of Blaiddwyn

                                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 5, 2006
                                        On Sunday 05 November 2006 01:48, authoressmeow@... wrote:
                                        > This is not for anyone else, its for my own
                                        > enjoyment.

                                        Right answer. :-)

                                        keys fesswise reversed sable.