Re: [SCA Newcomers] heraldry

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 6, 2006
      Quoth "archerpren":
      > No. I am Still working on a Name. But I am slowly narrowing down a time
      > and place. 1450's Florence is what I am on now. I have been to Florence
      > so I think I could imagine myself there. I've seen the Medici's house i
      > could imagine I've been to a party there for sure! Plus the dresses,
      > ooohhhh pretty! I am still trying to find names from that time and
      > place and all the name lists I come across are northern Europe it
      > seems. So if you have any tips on that front I'd be happy to haer those
      > as well. How did you pick your name? :0) Pren

      One good source for names from Florence is my article

      "Italian Given Names from the Online Tratte of Office Holders 1282-1532"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/italian/florence1282-1532.html

      Near Florence (in the same dialectal region) is Arezzo, and my
      article "Names from Arezzo, Italy, 1386-1528"
      (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/italian/arezzo.html) will give
      you information on the types of name patterns used.

      In Italy, assorted fruits and vegetables show up in armory far
      more frequently than in other cultures. You can see an incomplete
      list of examples at
      http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2891+0
      These were often canting arms, as you can see from some of the
      families that bore the different charges. So, if you want some
      good uniquely Italian canting arms, you might consider using some
      fruit or vegetable, and a surname related to that name for the food.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 29, 2007
        Quoth "sylance123":
        > First off, if there a site that defines the heraldry terms in it's
        > entirety, or close to?

        There is no comprehensive site, but the site that I use the most is
        Parker's _ A Glossary of Terms used in Heraldry_
        (http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/). He has to be taken with a
        bit of a grain of salt, because he's talking about Victorian practice
        and not necessarily medieval practice, and a few thins he says about
        blazoning differs from how the SCA does things, but in general when
        he explicitly is talking about medieval usage, he's very reliable, and
        he's got *a lot* of info.

        > Second off, I know there's a site somewhere, I saw it once but now
        > can't find it, that has a relatively complete and updated list of all
        > devices used in the SCA.

        This is the Ordinary and Armorial database, at oanda.sca.org. But if
        you are unfamiliar with the Rules for Submissions, which are available at
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html and which say (in section X)
        when two devices conflict with each other, you might have a hard time
        using the database yourself. If you have some specific designs you'd
        like checked, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

        > Small question, if you have a device that is the same pose and animal
        > as one that is already in use, will changing the colors make it legal?

        It depends on how many of the colors you are changing, and other
        aspects of teh design.

        > precise yet as I haven't had time to do much research lately. I was
        > wondering though if anyone knew of some good sites or books with names
        > for a female, if the site will show how to say the name (I'm still
        > learning how to sound words out in Irish) then that's all the better.

        The best place to go for Irish Gaelic names are these articles:

        "Quick and Easy Gaelic Names"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

        "Index of Names in Irish Annals"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/

        The pronunciation of Gaelic changed quite a bit over the period that
        the SCA covered (and differs quite a bit from modern Gaelic pronunciation),
        so it's unlikely that you'll find any website which gives a pronunciation
        for a name which is appropriate for the entire period. But once you've got
        a particular choice of name in mind, let us know, and we can tell you how
        it was pronounced in the period in which it was used.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/