Re: [SCA Newcomers] heraldry

  • archerpren
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 5 1:31 PM
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:
      > Have you chosen your SCA name yet? If you have, we'd have lots of fun
      > helping you come up with canting designs. :)
      > -Aryanhwy

      No. I am Still working on a Name. But I am slowly narrowing down a time
      and place. 1450's Florence is what I am on now. I have been to Florence
      so I think I could imagine myself there. I've seen the Medici's house i
      could imagine I've been to a party there for sure! Plus the dresses,
      ooohhhh pretty! I am still trying to find names from that time and
      place and all the name lists I come across are northern Europe it
      seems. So if you have any tips on that front I'd be happy to haer those
      as well. How did you pick your name? :0) Pren
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 29, 2007
        Quoth "sylance123":
        > First off, if there a site that defines the heraldry terms in it's
        > entirety, or close to?

        There is no comprehensive site, but the site that I use the most is
        Parker's _ A Glossary of Terms used in Heraldry_
        (http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/). He has to be taken with a
        bit of a grain of salt, because he's talking about Victorian practice
        and not necessarily medieval practice, and a few thins he says about
        blazoning differs from how the SCA does things, but in general when
        he explicitly is talking about medieval usage, he's very reliable, and
        he's got *a lot* of info.

        > Second off, I know there's a site somewhere, I saw it once but now
        > can't find it, that has a relatively complete and updated list of all
        > devices used in the SCA.

        This is the Ordinary and Armorial database, at oanda.sca.org. But if
        you are unfamiliar with the Rules for Submissions, which are available at
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html and which say (in section X)
        when two devices conflict with each other, you might have a hard time
        using the database yourself. If you have some specific designs you'd
        like checked, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

        > Small question, if you have a device that is the same pose and animal
        > as one that is already in use, will changing the colors make it legal?

        It depends on how many of the colors you are changing, and other
        aspects of teh design.

        > precise yet as I haven't had time to do much research lately. I was
        > wondering though if anyone knew of some good sites or books with names
        > for a female, if the site will show how to say the name (I'm still
        > learning how to sound words out in Irish) then that's all the better.

        The best place to go for Irish Gaelic names are these articles:

        "Quick and Easy Gaelic Names"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

        "Index of Names in Irish Annals"
        http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/

        The pronunciation of Gaelic changed quite a bit over the period that
        the SCA covered (and differs quite a bit from modern Gaelic pronunciation),
        so it's unlikely that you'll find any website which gives a pronunciation
        for a name which is appropriate for the entire period. But once you've got
        a particular choice of name in mind, let us know, and we can tell you how
        it was pronounced in the period in which it was used.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/