membership categories (was: paying "dues")

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 29, 2006
      Aurelia of Bodiam wrote:
      > What is the difference with family vs single dues. I have a 4 year
      > old son that attends events with me. I am engaged to a knight that is
      > a paying member. We will be getting somtime Fall of 2007.

      Three categories of membership in the S.C.A. are available to
      individuals in the U.S. Associate Members have the right to apply for
      and hold office, the opportunity to keep waivers on file rather than
      signing a new one for every activity, and exemption from the Non-Member
      Surcharge at events, and are included in official population counts and
      polls. Sustaining Members receive those benefits along with
      subscriptions to their kingdoms� newsletters and the eligibility of
      their co-resident immediate families for Family Memberships. Family
      Members enjoy all the privileges of an Associate Membership, at no more
      than half the price. (Since there is a cap on the total amount charged
      to a single family, those families with more than two Family Members
      save even more.)

      You have, therefore, two options where your current family is
      concerned. You can make yourself a Sustaining Member, and your son a
      Family Member, at a total cost (currently) of $45 per year. Or you can
      both be Associate Members, at a total cost of $40, and not get your
      kingdom newsletter. After your marriage, you can do three Associate
      Memberships for $60 (and get no kingdom newsletter) or one Sustaining
      Membership and two Family Memberships for $55. (Of course, as we've
      discussed, any or all of you could elect to participate in Society
      activities without actually joining the SCA.)

      You can read about membership categories in the Corporate Policies,
      which are included in the SCA Organizational Handbook
      <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>, but it hasn't yet been updated to
      reflect recent changes in the definition of "family" for the purposes
      of Family Membership. (Family Membership is now extended to only one
      adult for every Sustaining Member in a household. The rules for minors
      haven't changed.)

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra