Viceroy

  • Chris Catalfamo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2006
      I am working on a persona. If my husband is a viceroy, what does that mean in terms of the Italian nobility?

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2006
        From what I can gather (from Wikipedia, etc) a Viceroy
        is kind of like a landed baron...they are entrusted
        with caring for a chunk of land.

        "in Italian Viceré: The highest colonial
        representatives in the 'federation' of Italian East
        Africa (six provinces, each under a governor; together
        Ethiopia, Eritrea and Italian Somaliland) were no
        longer styled "High Commissioner", but "Viceroy and
        Governor-general" from 5 May 1936, when fascist forces
        temporarily occupied Ethiopia, until 27 November 1941,
        when the last Italian administrator surrendered to the
        Allies. The Italian King Victor Emmanuel claimed the
        title of "Emperor of Ethiopia" (Nəgusä nägäst,
        "King of Kings") and declared himself to be a
        successor to the Nəgusä nägäst[citation needed],
        even though Emperor Haile Selassie I continued to hold
        this title while in exile, and resumed his actual,
        physical throne on 5 May 1941."
        <from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viceroy>

        Above is the only listing for an Italian Viceroy which
        is way post period. It may have been used in Italy
        during period, but not a significant enough reference
        for Wiki to have a listing yet.

        Aside from that, in case no one else explained it to
        you, in the SCA, we don't create personas that would
        have a title. Any titles, lord/lady, baron(ess),
        counte(ess), etc. are earned/come with honors from the
        kingdom/society. We are considered "minor nobility" or
        some other equivalent meaning we have money and such
        but no real titles, except the polite...m'lord and
        m'lady.

        http://mail.yahoo.com