how old is too old to join in?

  • Maverick91
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
      Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For example, I've been out of college for a while.

    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
        Quoting Maverick91 <m_maverick86@...>:

        > Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For example, I've
        > been out of college for a while.

        Not that I know of. I see new folks of all ages on the lists that I'm on.

        As to "how old is too old to play?" -- I know of more than a few Red
        Hat Ladies ...

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Maria
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
          We've got members in their 80s here in my Shire. How's that for an age for you?

          Seriously, there is not too old for the SCA. If you want to come out, do it. Do what you can. No one will think the worse of you for not helping out if you have to sit for a while. Hell I'm 40 and I'm hypoglycemic. People know that if I start getting snippy, make me sit and make me eat. I have a tendancy to make sure that everyone else is taken care of and forgetting about myself. That's when my blood sugar drops and someone needs to make me sit. I also have a bad knee and 2 bad ankles. If I'm limping no one will bother me if I don't help out with something.

          So don't worry about age. There's a multitude of age ranges involved in the SCA and if you don't feel you can help out with something, no one will think anything bad about you if you're not helping out.

          Maria
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
            How old is too old to join?

            Dead.

            There is a good gentle in the Middle Kingdom who is 76 years old now
            and is STILL an authorized heavy fighter.

            Anyone of any age, lifestyle, color etc etc etc is welcome in the
            SCA and there will be something for you to do and people to get to
            know who remember the same presidents.

            Come on in!

            Ian the Green

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Maverick91 <m_maverick86@...>
            wrote:

            > Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For example, I've
            been out of college for a while.

          • amanda christopher
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
              My man is 41 and has been a heavy fighter for 15 years. I am 27 and am just now getting into the SCA. I am doing alot of watching when I go to fighter pratices with him. I see that the young fighters are on average faster, the older ones have more skill. It makes for an impressive display of talent. There are several people that are in the Indianapolis area that are in college now, or are newly out of college. It is a life altering hobby. There is so much to do and learn about. The more you get into it, the more it gets into you.

              -Aurelia
              Middle Kingdom

            • rebeccaatthewell_2000
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                Hey, :D

                I just joined this May and I turned 40 in February. Come on in, the
                water is fine :D

                Isabella Ambrogini Poliziana
                mka Rebecca

                wrote:

                > Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For example, I've
                been out of college for a while.

              • Charles Hartman
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                  My wife and I have been 'playing' in the society for about 25 years now, but we just got my mother-in-law to start, she is 75 years old. NO AGE IS TOO OLD!

                  Alric Redbow
                  Owl's Reach, An Tir

                  wrote:

                  > Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For example, I've
                  been out of college for a while.

                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                    On Thursday 07 September 2006 22:15, Maverick91 wrote:
                    > Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA?  For example, I've been out
                    > of college for a while.

                    {big grin}

                    When I was in college, some of my friends were in the SCA, but I was brought
                    up pretty conservative and judgmental, and when invited to join, I firmly
                    (and rudely, I realized as I grew wiser with age) told them I didn't want
                    any part of "those weirdos".

                    I didn't discover the SCA until I was about 28 -- dragged to my first event,
                    Pennsic 20, almost kicking and screaming. I fell in love with this game in
                    about an hour. :-)

                    We've had people join our shire as newborns, and we've had people join our
                    shire in their 60s and 70s.

                    Welcome! Come on in and have fun!

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                      In a message dated 9/7/2006 10:44:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      m_maverick86@... writes:

                      <<Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For example, I've been out
                      of college for a while.>>

                      Nope.You get whole families joining at once; we had a set of newbies this
                      weekend that consisted of parents, an older teenage son, and a younger teenage
                      daughter. We also have a woman in our shire who is, I believe, in her 50s
                      who has only recently started coming to events.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                          Well, I'm not even joining in with anything yet, but I'm 25 and really
                          wanting too. :D

                          Many Blessings,
                          Amanda
                          DONA, Int'l-trained birth doula, Medicine Reiki Master
                          http://ahavah-ehyeh.livejournal.com/
                        • Janet
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                            Likewise, no age is too young...someone had a 2 week
                            old at an event recently. Several people in my shire
                            have children who have been to more Pennsics than most
                            grown up sca members...lol :)

                            --- Charles Hartman <budhartman13@...> wrote:

                            > My wife and I have been 'playing' in the society for
                            > about 25 years now, but we just got my mother-in-law
                            > to start, she is 75 years old. NO AGE IS TOO OLD!
                            >
                            > Alric Redbow
                            > Owl's Reach, An Tir
                            >
                            > rebeccaatthewell_2000
                            > <rebeccaatthewell_2000@...> wrote:
                            > Hey, :D
                            >
                            > I just joined this May and I turned 40 in February.
                            > Come on in, the
                            > water is fine :D
                            >
                            > Isabella Ambrogini Poliziana
                            > mka Rebecca
                            >
                            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Maverick91
                            > <m_maverick86@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Is there an average age of a "newbie" in SCA? For
                            > example, I've
                            > been out of college for a while.

                            > removed]

                            > removed]

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                              On Saturday 09 September 2006 13:36, Janet wrote:
                              > Likewise, no age is too young...someone had a 2 week
                              > old at an event recently.  Several people in my shire
                              > have children who have been to more Pennsics than most
                              > grown up sca members...lol

                              Members of our household brought their two-week-old baby to Pennsic this
                              year. Interestingly, in our household that is now the second time in three
                              years that this has happened, though not with the same family. In both
                              cases, the pediatrician had given advance approval, and in both cases,
                              the babies and mothers did just fine.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 10, 2006
                                Quoting Ahavah Ehyeh <AhavahEhyeh@...>:

                                > Well, I'm not even joining in with anything yet, but I'm 25 and really
                                > wanting too. :D

                                Well, forevermore, why not? We're a nice friendly bunch! Where do
                                you live and what kind of things are you interested in?

                                jerusha
                                -----
                                Susan Farmer
                                sfarmer@...
                                University of Tennessee
                              • Ahavah Ehyeh
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 10, 2006
                                  Hi, Susan! I haven't had the chance yet, because I have just learned about
                                  this and am still reading & researching. I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia
                                  in the Barony of Hawkwood. I spoke with the local chatelaine, who told me
                                  about the local business meetings and fighter practices. I have a bit of a
                                  conflict for the time of the practices (at least til the end of the yeat),
                                  but my regular class has been canceled for next week and I'm hoping to make
                                  it out that way to try and met some folks. :) In the meantime, I've been
                                  trying to do some reading & research, so that I don't completely make a fool
                                  of myself. ;)

                                  Many Blessings,
                                  Amanda
                                  DONA, Int'l-trained birth doula, Medicine Reiki Master
                                  http://ahavah-ehyeh.livejournal.com/

                                  >From: "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...>
                                  >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: how old is too old to join in?
                                  >Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:17:49 -0400
                                  >
                                  >Quoting Ahavah Ehyeh <AhavahEhyeh@...>:
                                  >

                                  > > Well, I'm not even joining in with anything yet, but I'm 25 and really
                                  > > wanting too. :D
                                  >
                                  >Well, forevermore, why not? We're a nice friendly bunch! Where do
                                  >you live and what kind of things are you interested in?
                                  >
                                  >jerusha
                                  >-----
                                  >Susan Farmer
                                  >sfarmer@...
                                  >University of Tennessee
                                  >Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
                                  >http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium/

                                • Susan B. Farmer
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 10, 2006
                                    Quoting Ahavah Ehyeh <AhavahEhyeh@...>:

                                    > Hi, Susan! I haven't had the chance yet, because I have just learned about
                                    > this and am still reading & researching. I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia
                                    > in the Barony of Hawkwood.

                                    Cool. You're just over the mountains from me! :-)

                                    > I spoke with the local chatelaine, who told me
                                    > about the local business meetings and fighter practices. I have a bit of a
                                    > conflict for the time of the practices (at least til the end of the yeat),
                                    > but my regular class has been canceled for next week and I'm hoping to make
                                    > it out that way to try and met some folks. :) In the meantime, I've been
                                    > trying to do some reading & research, so that I don't completely make a fool
                                    > of myself. ;)

                                    Hey, don't ever let them fool you -- everybody started out as a newbie! :-)

                                    jerusha
                                    -----
                                    Susan Farmer
                                    sfarmer@...