Creating a Shire

  • bdanszig
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
      Hello all,
      I am new and am wondering how an SCA group is formed. What are the
      requirements? Where can you find information.
      thanks
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
        On Thursday 07 September 2006 11:18, bdanszig wrote:
        > I am new and am wondering how an SCA group is formed.  What are the
        > requirements?  Where can you find information.
        > thanks

        There are some base-level rules at the corporate level stipulating what must
        be achieved in order to form a new local group. These are online from the
        SCA web site (http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf).

        However, that only tells the barest part of the story. Each kingdom can have
        different procedural paths for how you get from an idea to the end result
        of meeting those corporate requirements. In the Midrealm, for example, we
        have a New Groups Deputy who reports to the Kingdom Seneschal and acts as a
        first point of contact as well as a guiding resource.

        I can't speak for anyone officially at this point, even my own kingdom (the
        Midrealm), because I'm not currently in the chain of command for new groups.
        That being said, I had the pleasure of being the founding Seneschal of the
        local group here, the Marche of Alderford, and then later serving as a
        Regional Seneschal and then as New Groups Deputy. In other words, I have quite
        a bit of experience in this area. So from a *purely unofficial* standpoint,
        you might find this article helpful:

        http://sca.4th.com/justin/articles/new-groups-intro

        Remember, though, that your best sources of info will be the Seneschals
        of your Kingdom and the local group or barony nearest you. My article is
        meant to introduce the basic concepts so you know the right questions to
        ask your official contacts.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Maria
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
          Wow. All I'm going to say is that if there's a group in your area, join that and learn about the SCA before wanting to create a new chapter.

          Justin, any words here?

          Maria
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
            bdanszig wrote:
            > I. . .am wondering how an SCA group is formed.. . .Where can you find
            > information.

            Establishment of a new branch is handled at the kingdom level. The
            procedure will therefore depend on which kingdom you're in, and be laid
            out in your kingdom laws.

            Wherever you are, you'll have to meet the requirements listed in
            Corpora, Article III, Parts C (#7) and D (#1-4 and #8). You can
            download that document (as part of the SCA Organizational Handbook) at
            <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>.

            There may be additional kingdom-level requirements. (In Ansteorra, for
            example, you would begin as an "incipient group" and advance to the
            status of "shire" only after demonstrating stability--which requires at
            least 1 year of activity, including hosting events
            <http://seneschal.ansteorra.org/forms/Jan2006_Ansteorra_Law2.pdf>.)

            If you tell us where you are (and I humbly submit it would be best to
            include that information whenever you ask a question, in future),
            someone here might be able to walk you through the process in your
            kingdom.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
              On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:47, Maria wrote:
              > Wow.  All I'm going to say is that if there's a group in your area,
              > join that and learn about the SCA before wanting to create a new
              > chapter.
              >
              > Justin, any words here?
              >
              > Maria

              I'd love to say I agree with you. Actually, I *do* agree with you.

              But I have to admit that Milica and I didn't follow that good advice in
              creating Alderford along with our mostly-non-SCAdian friends. :-)

              Milica and I had been to two or three Pennsic Wars, as single campers.
              We had been to (if I recall) exactly one regular event -- out of kingdom,
              yet -- and one or two shire meetings of a shire we never joined.

              There really wasn't a group within easy driving distance. We had kicked
              around the idea for a couple of years of "maybe start a shire someday",
              had talked it over with our sci-fi club friends. One or two of them had
              some peripheral SCA connection. That was about it.

              At Pennsic 1994, we happened to mention to a new acquaintance that we
              were thinking about maybe forming a shire someday. That person told his
              friend, who happened to be Baronial Seneschal, and she told her friend,
              who happened to be Kingdom Chatelaine.

              The two of them -- wearing really nice garb -- just showed up at our
              tent one day and introduced themselves. Talk about being a newbie....we
              were so new that I literally thought they had come to chew us out for
              not being authentic enough! I had no idea what a Baronial Seneschal
              was, nor a Kingdom Chatelaine, but those titles sounded impressive and
              they were dressed in really nice garb and..... well, you get the idea.
              Actually, they were extremely kind and polite and quickly put us at
              ease. They sat an hour or so with us, answering all kinds of questions.

              When Milica and I got home from Pennsic, we chewed it over for a few
              days, then talked with a few of our friends, and then decided to give
              it a try. Milica set up an organizing meeting (the "Do we want to do
              this?" meeting) and put bulletins up in area libraries. I contacted
              the nearest existing shire and invited them to come and offer their
              experience and advice at the meeting. The existing group (the Marche
              of Gwyntarian) that came to advise us at the meeting became our sponsor
              group as well.

              Whodathunkit? That organizing meeting was September 27, 1994, and our
              new group advanced to full status on June 7, 1997 -- under three years!
              I ended up being drafted as the group's first Seneschal and served
              during that period, stepping down shortly afterward. Milica was our
              first Chronicler and did most of our early recruiting and publicity work.

              By the way, a more detailed history is online here:

              http://alderford.org/scrapbook/founding

              The shire has had a few rough times over the years, but after almost
              twelve years now we're still going strong, hosting at least two full-size
              events per year. We've spawned a kingdom officer, three or more deputy
              kingdom officers, a number of regional officers, a landed baroness, several
              Pennsic War staff members, a deputy Society officer, a peer, several
              authorized Marshals and Chirurgeons, and a number of squires, apprentices,
              and proteges. We've hosted or co-hosted a number of kingdom-level events
              plus one known-world event. We did over a dozen public demos last year,
              though I'll admit that number isn't typical.

              Maria's advice is very, very good advice -- that's definitely the right
              way to do it. But I have to say I'm also pretty proud of what a bunch
              of rank newbies with very little SCA experience managed to accomplish,
              given the right guidance from others and a great group of creative and
              enthusiastic members.

              If you possibly can, do it the way Maria suggests. But if that's not an
              option for you, "never say never." :-)

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • THL Milica of Varna
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
                Slight correction to Justin's post. I was not the group's first chronicler. I
                was, however, the first chronicler to establish a newsletter that published
                on a regular schedule. :-)

                Milica

                On Thursday 07 September 2006 18:16, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
                > Milica was our
                > first Chronicler and did most of our early recruiting and publicity work.

                THL Milica of Varna
                Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken