Re: [SCA Newcomers] The Don't Speach for all Newcomers

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
      Sorry I must have misread the forwards. Daly, please take that email as to you.

      Maria
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
        Greetings Dear Friends

        I live in the wonderful Kingdom of AnTir in the Barony of Terra Pomeria. I am by nature extremely shy and found the first few times my husband and I went to SCA events very scary and nerve wracking. Many people in my area were quick with a hello and smile but I just have a hard time talking to people I dont know. I quickly realized that one way to meet people overcoming my handicap ( I am in fact known to be so shy that in a college speach class I got up to speak and passed out!) was to go to people who were doing activities that intersted me. Every crafter I met be he or she spinner, stitcher, weaver, knitter or painter was only to happy to talk about their craft, its history, materials and their personal projects. Infact many of them were so happy to share I often left with a list of supplies or some supplies and instructions to start my own projects. (Which lead to a huge pile of projects of various types of crafts for me to decide which I like the best!). Also I often joined groups of people doing things I really wasnt so interested in. Heavy fighting I like to watch but really have no desire to be a fighter nor do I really concern myself with the various rules and regulations but I promise you there are very few fighters who will not share their love of fighting rules, skills, and regulations with you. I was often encouraged to try to hold weapons , take a swing , etc. While I really did not get a great perspective about fighting I was often introduced to other people in the fighter's group including consorts, friends , etc. In the matter of a few meetings I knew enough names to feel more comfortable around my group. While it is true that some people in the SCA can be a little snooty there are many of us who would be only too happy to get to know you and encourage you to get to know us. Being a part of this group is a great step. Getting to know other new people helped me feel less stupid about not knowing proper etiquette or court politics. If anyone is in the Terra Pomeria area and wants to meet up with me feel free to contact me. I will be at Acorn war this year, after having missed several events due to poor health.

        YIS

        April of Terra Pomeria

        current Bar Wench Smack Down Champ!

      • Daly
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@...> wrote:
          >Greetings All:
          Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement. At the event, my
          daughters and I decided we would just walk around and say "hello" to
          people or just make eye contact and smile. I have never seen such
          odd responses. Most people just walked on by. So, we did try.
          I do tend to be a bit insecure with people;esp. in groups. But,
          I feel I have put my best foot forward with these people. I do
          understand that it takes time to get to know people who have been
          together for many years and feel they are a "family". That is the
          term one member said in front of me to another member of the group.
          I also believe there are a couple people in this particular group
          who are of the frame of mind that they are above newbies and there
          is a hierarchy in the SCA of which they are a part. I guess it would
          behoove me to steer clear of those types as they can offer me no
          help.
          I am trying to take the attitude that I will remain as emotionally
          and intellectually open as I can so that I will be able to learn
          what I can from this group and go on.
          Would it be appropriate to post something on the Kingdom Yahoo
          groups boards stating that I am new and am interested in
          _____whatever and ask if there are other new people or experienced
          ones that would be interested in chatting online or meeting?
          I am not sure at this point what else to do except continue to
          attend meetings and A&S workshops and learn.
          This group is small and the event was small. There was noone
          sitting and doing crafts other than sewing.
          Thanks all

        • May
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
            I'm very sorry that you had such an experience. Perhaps there is
            another group close by that you might click a little better with? I
            just joined up in the past couple of weeks. One thing that I found
            to be very helpful is a multitude of research and striving to become
            involved in as much as possible. As a child/teenager I was
            interested in archery, so I attend every archery practice. I also
            did a little research as to some period snacks and brought them
            along to my first practice. This helped to show everyone that I
            wanted to contribute to the group and to the period atmosphere. The
            first weekend that I attended fight practice I spent reading an
            article on 13th/14th century german embroidery which gave me a topic
            to discuss with a woman there bearing a case of craft supplies who
            offered to teach me fingerlooping. From that conversation she
            invited me to go along with her to an event this weekend. Yay! My
            first event! :) I'm also painfully shy, but I learned a few years
            ago that you have two options (1) watch and wait and you will be
            watching and waiting an hour from now, or (2) dive in and an hour
            from now you will either be going places you never thought possible
            or watching and waiting. With the first method you know you've lost
            before you even started, with the second...who knows! :)

            Good luck!
            May :)