Re: [SCA Newcomers] The Don't Speach for all Newcomers

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4, 2006
      I know how you feel Justin. I was like ready to chew iron and spit nails this morning when I read that.

      Like I said, I had a much more nastily worded response this morning, but didn't want to give the wrong impression.

      Maria
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
        Good Day Lady Elizabeta,
        I did not post this, however I appreciate you response and I am sure
        Daly does as well.
        I have had similar experiences. I have often gone to events where no one
        spoke to me. Not so much as a "hello".
        My new tactic to deal with this is to hold my head high and approach all
        these people and introduce myself. (which is not easy as I am somewhat
        shy)
        And when I see someone who is new (newer than I anyway) or has that lost
        look about them, I make a point of speaking to them and making them feel
        welcome.
        No one should ever be made to feel that they are not welcomed or that
        they are in some way inferior to the rest of the folks. It really upset
        me when it happened to me and I have vowed that I will not let it happen
        to others. I am new and don't know a darn thing about anything and don't
        know many people, but I know how to smile and say hello and offer a
        drink or a place to rest tired feet or whatever. It does not take much
        of an effort at all. Obviously some of these people forgot what it was
        like to be new and should be ashamed of themselves.

        Sonja of Malagentia

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
          Sorry I must have misread the forwards. Daly, please take that email as to you.

          Maria

          Greetings, I recently joined the SCA. I saw this series of posts and
          had to join in.
          I have not had the best of experiences so far. I find the people
          in the group have the attitude "we want you here for the stats, but
          you're on your own, newbie."
          I have been going to every populace and A&S workshop this Shire
          has offered trying to learn what I can and "fit in". I never know if
          I will be acknowledged by members of this group from meeting to
          meeting. This weekend, I attended my first Kingdom event. Noone at
          the affair spoke to me or my family, not even a "Good-day", that
          includes all but three of my shire members. So, today I spoke with
          the Shire Chatelaine and as tactfully as I could asked why it is
          that noone seems to be openly friendly to new people, that included
          Shire members. This is my interpretation of what I was told:
          You EARN the right to be an honored member of the SCA. You find
          your specialty, work hard to learn/develop it on your own, volunteer
          to help at every event and hope that some day your talents and
          efforts are noticed by someone more experienced who offers you an
          apprenticeship of some kind. Then, you will become a member of a
          guild/household and be accepted officially.
          Now, I am trying to decide whether it is worth that kind of effort
          to be "accepted". It seems awfully college sorority/fraternity to
          me. And, I am way past those years.
          I have only lived in this state three years. Please tell me that
          this is not a typical attitude of the members of the SCA.
          Thanks, Daly

          > Thanks for the boisterous response!

        • April
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
            Greetings Dear Friends

            I live in the wonderful Kingdom of AnTir in the Barony of Terra Pomeria. I am by nature extremely shy and found the first few times my husband and I went to SCA events very scary and nerve wracking. Many people in my area were quick with a hello and smile but I just have a hard time talking to people I dont know. I quickly realized that one way to meet people overcoming my handicap ( I am in fact known to be so shy that in a college speach class I got up to speak and passed out!) was to go to people who were doing activities that intersted me. Every crafter I met be he or she spinner, stitcher, weaver, knitter or painter was only to happy to talk about their craft, its history, materials and their personal projects. Infact many of them were so happy to share I often left with a list of supplies or some supplies and instructions to start my own projects. (Which lead to a huge pile of projects of various types of crafts for me to decide which I like the best!). Also I often joined groups of people doing things I really wasnt so interested in. Heavy fighting I like to watch but really have no desire to be a fighter nor do I really concern myself with the various rules and regulations but I promise you there are very few fighters who will not share their love of fighting rules, skills, and regulations with you. I was often encouraged to try to hold weapons , take a swing , etc. While I really did not get a great perspective about fighting I was often introduced to other people in the fighter's group including consorts, friends , etc. In the matter of a few meetings I knew enough names to feel more comfortable around my group. While it is true that some people in the SCA can be a little snooty there are many of us who would be only too happy to get to know you and encourage you to get to know us. Being a part of this group is a great step. Getting to know other new people helped me feel less stupid about not knowing proper etiquette or court politics. If anyone is in the Terra Pomeria area and wants to meet up with me feel free to contact me. I will be at Acorn war this year, after having missed several events due to poor health.

            YIS

            April of Terra Pomeria

            current Bar Wench Smack Down Champ!

          • Daly
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria" <scarlettmb@...> wrote:
              >Greetings All:
              Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement. At the event, my
              daughters and I decided we would just walk around and say "hello" to
              people or just make eye contact and smile. I have never seen such
              odd responses. Most people just walked on by. So, we did try.
              I do tend to be a bit insecure with people;esp. in groups. But,
              I feel I have put my best foot forward with these people. I do
              understand that it takes time to get to know people who have been
              together for many years and feel they are a "family". That is the
              term one member said in front of me to another member of the group.
              I also believe there are a couple people in this particular group
              who are of the frame of mind that they are above newbies and there
              is a hierarchy in the SCA of which they are a part. I guess it would
              behoove me to steer clear of those types as they can offer me no
              help.
              I am trying to take the attitude that I will remain as emotionally
              and intellectually open as I can so that I will be able to learn
              what I can from this group and go on.
              Would it be appropriate to post something on the Kingdom Yahoo
              groups boards stating that I am new and am interested in
              _____whatever and ask if there are other new people or experienced
              ones that would be interested in chatting online or meeting?
              I am not sure at this point what else to do except continue to
              attend meetings and A&S workshops and learn.
              This group is small and the event was small. There was noone
              sitting and doing crafts other than sewing.
              Thanks all

            • May
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                I'm very sorry that you had such an experience. Perhaps there is
                another group close by that you might click a little better with? I
                just joined up in the past couple of weeks. One thing that I found
                to be very helpful is a multitude of research and striving to become
                involved in as much as possible. As a child/teenager I was
                interested in archery, so I attend every archery practice. I also
                did a little research as to some period snacks and brought them
                along to my first practice. This helped to show everyone that I
                wanted to contribute to the group and to the period atmosphere. The
                first weekend that I attended fight practice I spent reading an
                article on 13th/14th century german embroidery which gave me a topic
                to discuss with a woman there bearing a case of craft supplies who
                offered to teach me fingerlooping. From that conversation she
                invited me to go along with her to an event this weekend. Yay! My
                first event! :) I'm also painfully shy, but I learned a few years
                ago that you have two options (1) watch and wait and you will be
                watching and waiting an hour from now, or (2) dive in and an hour
                from now you will either be going places you never thought possible
                or watching and waiting. With the first method you know you've lost
                before you even started, with the second...who knows! :)

                Good luck!
                May :)